3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening tool  (Read 285 times)

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
sharpening tool
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Hey guys, I was looking at the KME jewel stick with guide. I was wondering if the KME jewel stick with guide rod would work with the Lansky sharpening kit that I have?? Also what angle degree do most use? 30,25,20,17. Advice please..
Floyd Crowder

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening tool
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
I don't know if it will work on the Lansky.The individual broadhead and how it is clamped,determines the angle.Those angle designations are just suggestions to begin with.Two different width broadheads will give you slightly different angle,using the same hole position.

The beauty of the KME knife sharpener is that it is infinitely adjustable.You aren't stuck with 25,30 etc.You can position it anywhere in between,to exactly match YOUR edge angle.

The trick is to blacken the bevel and try the stone,adjusting the angle till it matches your bevel exactly.If you can't adjust like this,you are going to stone off a lot of steel till you get  your broadhead bevel to match your sharpener angle(the tail wagging the dog).

If you want efficient,try the KME broadhead sharpener.

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
JimB, thanks for input. I was trying not to buy another system. But might have too.
Floyd Crowder

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I have the 3 sided jewelstick and use it with my Lansky. I set it at 30 degrees when sharpening Simmons Sharks. I once borrowed a friend's KME knife sharpener and set it at 30 degrees as well, but with the KME the angle was more than with the Lansky. The edge produced by the Lansky is just fine for me.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
they should work fine together...thats what i use

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
CAUTIONARY NOTE:  The Lansky has BIG mutha slots...the KME has a tight fitting delrin (?) ball that makes the angle much more precise.

I found the lansky holes allowed much too much "slop" in the stroke... some are good enough to "free hand" but the Lansky didn't suit me...

I had rounded bevels.

Once I got the KME, all settled into place with Ron's fine tutelage by phone...now I can sharpen most anything... before I was President and founder of the CAN'T sharpen Shix INTL!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©