3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting with glasses  (Read 517 times)

Offline Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with glasses
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
My vision is getting to where I need glasses. The problem is shooting with these as I even struggle with sunglasses. The string hits the glasses. Has anybody else this transition  and do you have any suggestions.  I had Lasix surgery many years ago and started shooting after.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:09:00 AM »
I shoot with glasses and never had a problem. Try posting different pictures of yourself at full draw. Might help diagnose the issue.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:09:00 AM »
I went the opposite direction.  I wore glasses, started shooting traditional, had cataract surgery both eyes, had multifocal intraocular lenses put in and now I only use reading glasses.  Can't shoot with sunglasses either though, but mostly due to vision in right eye being obscured.

Can you find a low profile prescription goggle that has a clear nose bridge?
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
See the other thread from a few days ago.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
I wear prescription lenses and I believe everyone ought to shoot with glasses...we shoot a big spring with the potential to break very close to our eyes...I even make sure I have my glasses on when stringing a bow...you can get a new bow but eye transplants are hard to come by

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline jabodnar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
I started a thread last week for the picture of my new glasses I bought specifically for bow hunting, but here's my summary.

I shot with feather to nose for a bit, when I transitioned to shooting with my glasses, I had to turn my head more square to the target. With nose to feather, my dominant eye would barely be able to see the target out of the corner the lens. If I was off just a little, my non-dominant eye would take over.

Have a fairly high and back anchor, and would get some string interference with my normal pair of glasses. It wasn't a problem, but every once and a while I would jostle my glasses out of place when reaching anchor. I didn't really feel it, but could clearly see my glasses move watching video of me shoot. Note that I don't have the arrow directly under my eye.

I just bought a pair of wrap around sunglass frames with clear prescription safety lenses and they have solved the string interference for me. I did have to try on about 15 frames to find the ones that fit the closest to my face and still feel comfortable.

A lot will depend on facial structure and anchor position. I would suggest trying to change one variable at a time to see if anything helps (frame style, anchor position, head square to the targe, etc))

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
I wear Low profile glasses and prescription sunglasses
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Stealth Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Thank you. I'll try to find those pictures

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
Fortunately only minor adjustments when switching to glasses years ago.

Squared face towards target and even improved consistancy when shooting without glasses

Still utilize hi anchor and horizontal cock feather nose tip anchor.

Lower profile glasses.

Pinched nose piece to slighly raise eye glass level...no strings to glass contact... shooting 66" longbow at 28" draw.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
I had to start wearing my glasses also. I'm far sighted so got away without using them for years but now I need them all the time. Had trouble hitting them at full draw. Got different frames & now no problem. Good luck.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
Just watched an old time trick shooter named Ken Wilhelm, I think.  He shot an apple that was sitting on top of a guys head with bow and arrow while wearing a ten gallon cowboy hat.  He really canted the bow.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
Smaller lenses will give more clearance.  I use to shoot better with a pair of light brown uv blocker sun glasses than without.  They were those little round lenses.  When I got a pair of glasses to correct a slight astigmatism and have the reader thing on the bottom I got larger lenses. I knew when I was at full draw because I shoved the glasses up so i could not aim. The glasses I have now are off center and high on the focus for the reader part for playing guitar, they work for shooting right handed if I keep my head just so, if I tilt my head up to much that off center reader area makes things blurry.  left handed, I cannot rotate my neck the same and the edges of the glasses crowd my vision, so when hunting left handed I leave my glasses home and have a pair of small cheaper readers in my pocket.  It is possible to get glasses off center so they focus better when looking through them at an angle.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©