3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wraps  (Read 872 times)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Wraps
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
Are they just decoration or do they serve a purpose? I know they stiffened my arrows. So I'm tuning again. Thanks guys
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wraps
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
I like them because it is easier to get the glue/tape off to re-fletch.   Just peel of the wrap, put another on and your in business.  They weigh next to nothing. I have not had any issue with them changing spine.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Online 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
I use a white reflective wrap mainly to find them after dark. They will light up when you shine your headlight on them.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
I use them to help me find arrows.Since weight on the rear of the arrow has more influence than an equal amount on the front,it can change tune.It's for that reason that I always start with wraps on the shafts.

Offline Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
I like the reflective wraps also especially if you're hunting in real thick areas!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
I have used them for a while.  I like them EXCEPT recently I have been experiencing many that are peeling.  That is... when you roll them on, no matter how I clean them, they roll over themselves.  They are peeling along this rolled over edge and taking the feather with them.

Anybody else ?    

I don't tune that well to notice enough difference before and after,(nor do I care) so I am good with them.  I can sure refletch an arrow easier with them than without them.
ChuckC

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
I like them for the same reasons - easier re-fletching and visibility, plus they look good, to me at least.
Jim

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
To re-fletch do you just remove the wrap? It does the tape peel off the wrap easier? Thank you
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
I always use them on my carbon arrows.Makes them so much easier to redo later without scraping off the old fletching.Carbons are tough arrows but can get gouged scraping off the old fletching,especially the woodgrain carbons.Plus I like the look of a crested arrow with the Trad wraps I get from Onestringer.You can get them in different lengths and widths or you can just go with solid color wraps.

Online 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
I have used them for a while.  I like them EXCEPT recently I have been experiencing many that are peeling.  That is... when you roll them on, no matter how I clean them, they roll over themselves.  They are peeling along this rolled over edge and taking the feather with them.

Anybody else ?    

I don't tune that well to notice enough difference before and after,(nor do I care) so I am good with them.  I can sure refletch an arrow easier with them than without them.
ChuckC
I have 1 recently that lifted at the very corner a small amount, I put a small dab of super glue under it and held it back in place for a little while and it has been good ever since. I will monitor them to see if I have anymore issues like that in the future.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
They serve no more of a purpose than crown dipping does. Pretty much for looks, maybe in some cases for feather adhesion.

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
As said above this is for looks and to find your arrow easer. The plus side is you can re-fletch with out compromising your arrow. I have been using them for years and haven't had them peel of on their own, I have always had to use steam to soften the glue to remove them.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Easier to find a lost arrow, and way easier to remove and reflech.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
Pretty much all I use on my alum and carbons. You can get about any color you could think of. I get mine from Onestringer. I get plain ones and do my own cresting. I do brush on a coat of clear MinWax Polycrillic, water based to protect the crest.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
About the only things they will do is: help you find a lost arrow when hunting, stumping, or 3d; save your carbon arrows from wear when re fletching (I find it much easier to heat and peel wraps than try to slice off feathers without getting into the carbon); help you see an arrow in flight when not perfectly tuned; give you some cool factor options when putting your arrows together; I find them very useful and use them on all arrows I build...

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 02:42:00 AM »
Feathers stick to them every time, some shafts not so much! Also keeps you from scraping into the arrow shaft removing the feathers. I use them every time now and apply them before I try to bare shaft!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
I've been using some vinyl material used for large scale wall decals. It works great. Flo pink great for finding arrows. I miss a lot so I know!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:

Anybody else ?    

ChuckC
Are you using a reputable brand?  Have you tried not cleaning them?  I never have and don't think it is necessary.

That said I had one batch recently that was just bad, started lifting on me something terrible and of course I had used them on customer's arrows.     :(

That was expensive and time consuming to straighten out.    :banghead:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
I am buying them from a reputable guy and friend that is a retailer and sponsor here, but I don't know where he got them.  I never had problems before, just the past year or so.  They lifted both ways, cleaned and not.  Fact, the only reason I clean them now (other than wipe dust off) is because I am trying to use up the wraps I have and try to correct the problem.  They don't ALL do it, but enough do to be a pain.

I have developed a particular color pattern ( as we all do) that is me, my arrows, and that includes a certain size and color wrap.
ChuckC

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
Love the traditional wraps by onestringer. Just ordered another dozen. Like others have posted, I use the reflective ones for finding the arrow (and what it's stuck in). I've never had an issue with his wraps.

Blessings
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©