3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody spot and stalk mule deer?  (Read 455 times)

Offline savagelh

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody spot and stalk mule deer?
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
This will be my first season hunting mule deer with a recurve. I've been successful with the compound in the past but this will be quite a challenge. I'd love to hear stories and see pics of others hunts  and harvests.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody spot and stalk mule deer?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
When I lived a So Cal that is the only way I hunted them.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
Get South Cox's DVD.  That should help.  Great mule deer hunting footage.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
I still hunt mule deer in the same terrain I still hunt whitetails...I have yet to shoot one but had a couple within 25 yards...the reason we hunt with Trad gear is that just because we are that close does not mean we have an ethical shot

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
Switching over from wheels a decade back, I was sweating bullets that I'd never fill another mule deer tag. It hasn't been a problem (well, not exactly not a problem). You just need to really pick terrain that is hunter friendly with lots of micro-topography that gives you cover to stay hidden while you sneak in close. I go on at least 2 mule deer hunts a year and haven't gone a year without filling at least one tag.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
I have hunted them in the broken canyons of Wyoming and in the open grasslands on Alberta. Both were great fun but I must say I prefer the challenge of the open grasslands hunts.  Man is it tough but so rewarding.  Getting close is not that difficult but getting a view of their vitals is a different story. When you see their eyes, they see you too, lol.

This buck came from Alberta.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Here is a spot n stock Idaho Mulie ... shot in it's bed after a LONG stalk. Keep the wind in your face and use the terrain for cover. This was a pretty windy day and helped cover my noise.

In big open country with good terrain we used pushers to guide deer toward pinch points. Need to be in great shape and able to put on the miles.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
I have shot a few mulies, but I'm mainly a whitetail hunter. Mulies are made for spot and stalk.
I know a guy that lives in Dayton Wyoming who is the maestro of mule deer. He probably has 15 or more mule deer in P and Y, and I believe that some of his qualify for B and C. All spot and stalk. The same guy has taken two mountain lions by spot and stalk. All with trad equipment. He is a sneaky sucker.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
I was elk hunting CO a few years ago.  It seemed like every afternoon it would rain for a half-hour or so.  After one such shower I was walking along and came up on two  mulie bucks grazing.  

I did not have a deer tag, but I thought why not see how close I could get.  The conditions were perfect after the rain and I just sort of slipped along towards them. I got within about twenty feet or so. Easy range -even for me for sure.

They were nothing special- young bucks but it was a good experience closing the gap like that.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©