3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The new Gold Tips. Weight GPI.  (Read 334 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
The new Gold Tips. Weight GPI.
« on: August 03, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
Just wondering with all the data and interest in EFOC. Why didn't Gold Tip make those new Traditional Classics with a little less GPI? It looks like a very good arrow. I was about to order some.
The finished arrow weight gets a little heavy with these shafts.
(I realize you can reduce point weight and the shafts would be perfectly fine and probably kill anything that walks the earth.)
Most of the best quality and design single bevel broadheads use thick steel to aid in rotation. Those heads are generally heavy weights.
I haven't read all the Ashby reports but doesn't he preach "stiffer and lighter"?

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The new Gold Tips. Weight GPI.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
I believe they also have a lighter shaft called Pierce. Basically the same construction but lower GPI. They would be great for a smaller diameter, high FOC arrow.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 02:39:00 AM »
If you're talking about the small diameter model, it's a kinetic with a wood grain wrap, you could probably shed a grain per inch shooting Kinetics. But the inserts that come with the Kinetic are super weak and need to be footed. Or buy the ballistic collars that come with the Kaos model kinetic or buy the stainless inserts that come with the Traditional Classics, the arrow shaft its self is the toughest shaft I've ever shot!!!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Mike Faith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
I would recommend doing your own testing with your personal bow set-up to see what works best, not disputing anybodies research, but out of my bow a heavier arrow with slightly lower foc penetrated better than a lighter arrow with higher foc, get several different shafts and points and see what works best for you...
focusing on the problem is not a solution-anonymous

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
The pierce is smaller than the new gold tip trad classic. It's Gold Tip's version of Easton's Carbon injexion. Extremely small diameter.
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Faith:
I would recommend doing your own testing with your personal bow set-up to see what works best, not disputing anybodies research, but out of my bow a heavier arrow with slightly lower foc penetrated better than a lighter arrow with higher foc, get several different shafts and points and see what works best for you...
Yes but, you're talking different weight arrows (e.g., apples vs oranges).  For arrows of the same weight, FOC matters.

homebru

Offline Mike Faith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
Agreed, foc matters, I was not trying to gain high foc, I was more concerned with a quiet bow and an arrow with extreme penetration...trust me I chased the foc for a good long while , a lot of different shafts and tip weight configurations, just sharing what worked best me...not trying to start a weight vs foc argument, I apologize if I got off track with the thread...   :)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
Since I shoot an 820 gr. arrow a few grains here and there don't matter that much to me. I have an acceptable FOC without being extreme. I figure if I can bury these things 3/8 inch into a steel fence post, they will perform satisfactorily on game.

Offline Mike Faith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
newhouse, I agree, I am only shooting 740 gr arrows, but I have a fence post with a similar wound, and my bow is whisper quiet...gotta love it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©