3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little Help Please and Thank You.  (Read 387 times)

Offline H.D. Luers

• Trad Bowhunter
A little Help Please and Thank You.
« on: August 03, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Hi. I'm new to trad archery and am getting bad fishtailing that I can't get rid of. I know some fishtailing is normal. My bow is a recurve. 50 lbs and my draw is 27. I'm trying Gold Tip 3555/500 with 125 tips and feathers. I've looked at the Easton guide. I don't think I'm under spined, but sure might be. I've tried both off the shelf and with a Muzzy v rest, the only thing I couldn't throw at this was going up in weight at the front end because I didn't have any thing. So that's what is going on. I sure would appreciate it if someone could please help me figure this out. Thank you kindly.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little Help Please and Thank You.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Well there will be some folks chime in who know way more than me, but how long are you're arrows? The shorter they are cut the more that changes spine. I think your spine size is right as long as the arrows aren't too short. You may try a 175 gr or even a 200 gr tip and see if that helps. Also if you're plucking the string when you release that could be some of it too.

Offline H.D. Luers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
I appreciate any help. Thanks for responding. 28" on the arrows. I'll pay closer attention to my release and see. Thank you.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
Many variables to consider, charts lead me to theory craft that would need cut 600 spine or full 500 spine for my new bow, ended up actually needing cut down 400 spine

I have no idea what to tell you.

I think the easiest and most reassuring thing you can do at this point is to do some paper testing and see what it shows you.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
How long had you been shooting?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
First try cock feather in if you haven't already. Then I would try 175 Gr. or 200 gr. up front.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline H.D. Luers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
It's been a love hate relationship with this bow. I bought it in 2014 and still haven't got it right. I've had several compounds. I sure have a new appreciation for the sport because those things I took for granted with wheel bows sure seem a lot more challenging with this recurve atleast now.

Offline H.D. Luers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I sure appreciate it. I will try all the suggestions as they come. I'm going to keep working at it.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Actually some fishtailing is not normal.  Those arrows with that point weight at that length should work for your bow at your draw length.  Might play with some different weight heads.  

Also, check your brace height.  If it's too low, the arrow can be hitting the riser as it passes, causing it to fishtail.  It can fishtail even without hitting the riser if the brace height is too low.  

Of course, it could also be a form problem. Plucking can cause fishtailing. Work on one thing at a time.  Good luck.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
What Orion said. You didnt say anything about your bow, and degree of past-center could make a difference, but you should be in the ballpark with 3555 cut to 28" on a post 1959- recurve. I know that nock height just a smidge off  can give my arrows a wigglin' rear end. So can an itchy release (plucking the string).
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »
I find 3555s cut at and under 29" need a lot of weight up front for bows around 50lbs. Try 175gr or 200gr. If your arrows are 28", you may need even more weight up front. I use a 100gr insert and 145gr points with 29" arrows for my 52@27 Super Kodiak. You may need around 250gr.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline H.D. Luers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback y'all. Looking like I need more point weight for sure. I'll get on that. Brace height I double checked. It's good. I'll double check the rest and the possible form issues too. I'll take it one at time and get it. Bow is an OMP Smokey Mountain Hunter. I was testing another made by Fisher Price until I accidently dry fired the son of bitch, cracked the limb, and got kicked outta the store.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang!

The best piece of advice I could give you would be to find an experienced trad shooter in your area to help you. It can greatly reduce the frustration levels of trying to figure this all out.

And like said above, if you are well tuned, you should not be able to see any wobble in your arrow in flight.

Bisch

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
I'm not really good with carbon arrows but these guys on this site are great...... My set up on my Mahaska Longbow is 49@28 my arrows are 29.5 5575 Gold Tips with 5 in shield cut feathers and 170 grain point. My arrows fly like darts.
Floyd Crowder

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
Are you shooting 3 under?  I had issues with tuning last year with a 50# long bow. I was getting contact on my shelf on release.  I put a second nocking point under the arrow and it made a huge difference. I think this is more important when shooting 3 under.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
Take a look at the vids by grizzly Jim, Jeff kavanagh, Arne moe. The release can cause all kinds of strange flight, be sure your not plucking the string or torqueing your grip. The first variable of good arrow flight is the archer. Took me a while to get my form down. Once you do it all comes together.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©