3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting vs 3d  (Read 730 times)

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting vs 3d
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
Have a question bout them both rt now i shoot a widow 53@ 28"  and 28 " arrow with 200 grain tips bout 490- 500 grain total for huntin thot bout buying another bow  around 40@28" and shoot light arrow n like 100-125 grain tip for flater trajectory for 3d question is , is this bad idea #1 and will it mess with my shooting for hunting if i get used to the 3d bow all summer then go back to my heavier hunting setup , dont wanna mess up anything for hunting but wud like a lighter setup for 3d what do yall think ?
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting vs 3d
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 01:15:00 AM »
Well for me I have a few bows that seem to hit the same so I don't worry about it .
You should shoot both bows together , back and forth , and that will tell you if it's a problem or not .
Remember , it's the first shot that counts , so when you start a shooting session , switch up whitch bow you do your cold shot with .
Your going to be able to answer your own question .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 02:28:00 AM »
The difference in weight will effect you more than the difference in speed at hunting distances! I'm more of a fan of shooting lighter arrows from your hunting bow if you want to get some extra speed for 3d.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 04:47:00 AM »
I shoot what I hunt with. Since my main reason for shooting 3D is hunting practice.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 05:26:00 AM »
If I were you, I wouldn't mess with anything too much this close to hunting season. If your arrows are tuned, and your broad heads are flying true, I'd practice realistic hunting shots, from here on out, at the 3D course. Don't worry about the "x" ring, but rather, worry about the proper placement for a kill shot at whatever angle you're shooting from.

That being said, I also know the value of shooting a lighter weight set up for longevity of your bow shooting career, and the inherent emphasis that it places on your shooting form.  Inconsistencies become much more apparent, and it's much more difficult to get off the string cleanly, with a light weight set up. You'll really start to notice the need for back tension, consistent grip, bow arm and shoulder placement and follow through, anchor points, and notice the effects of grip and/or string torque!

I hunt with bows in the 47-52# range, and my off-season practice bow is 38#! If you don't want to mess with your trajectory and sight picture, just make sure your lighter "3D" set up is shooting close to the same speed and grains of arrow per pound of draw weight.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
I'm a firm believer in using my hunting set-up for 3-d.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
I've got target limbs and hunting limbs for my PMA;  43#@28" and 55#@29".  Lighter draw weight is great at a 2 round 3d shoot on a 90+ degree day.  I tend to score alot better and don't get tired as fast.  I don't see the hunting-practice benefit to a competitive 3d shoot as much as others, since the state of mind is so different.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
Recall quite vividly that in the late 60's that, as a child, I was always desiring to see a hunting bow shot at the winter indoor range. Went numerous times and only saw one full hunting setup sitting on a table and never saw it shot. Everyone was shooting much lighter draw weights.

As a I currently shoot nearly 500 rounds per week, I keep longevity in mind and take advantage of consistently focusing on improving my form. My bows are particularly setup to share the same site window and point-on predicated on my effective hunting range setup. Beyond that distance, the much speedier bows have a gradually noticeably flatter trajectory.

These setups permit me stay on auto as I transition fluidly from weekly 3D events to the field. Personally, improved form facilitates, competently and comfortably switching to a 12# draw weight jump in a merely a few days. Generally takes approximately a week to feel natural.

I hit the field 69 times last turkey and deer season. My personal choice for selective harvest demands the ultimate in confidence when waiting on that one anticipated particular opportunity. Did take passes on possible shot opportunities on bucks during 20 plus different hunts last season. Not shabby since I hunt solely from the ground.

May be several more years before that anticipated opportunity presents itself. Did harvest a turkey last fall. Had one opportunity to capitalize on a gob this past spring turkey season. I was blessed once more with a fine harvest.

Confidence in the field is paramount.

Note: The vast majority of top archers at major 3D events shoot stepped down setups and many of these skilled archers enjoy consistent success in the field.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by m midd:
I shoot what I hunt with. Since my main reason for shooting 3D is hunting practice.
Same here!

Bisch

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
A month before the season starts I chose which bow and arrows I will hunt with. That's all I'll shoot until hunting is over.

Do that and you will be fine.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
I find it hard to go back to a heavy bow after I have shot a light one for awhile, so I stay in my 52# range. I can hardly pull a 60# bow anymore and I used to shoot that and heavier.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
Is your Widow a TD?  If so, and the weight bothers you at 3D shoots, I'd say get another set of limbs for your Widow.  Draw weight will take a little getting used to, but everything else will be the same.  If it was me, I'd go with around 43-47#, and use it for 3D and hunting both.  Easier to shoot all day than 53#, but will hit a little harder than 40#.  If you ever hunt anything where you want a little more power, or maybe where the law requires 50# minimum, you still have your 53# limbs on standby.  I started with a 53# recurve.  I'm now hunting with either a 47# R/D longbow or a 42# recurve.  My 53# recurve is on the rack and has only been shot maybe a half dozen times in the last two years.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
Same here. It comes down to what are your reasons for shooting 3D. One thing I dislike about some of the 3D targets is where the scoring rings are located. They are set for insert longevity not anatomy.
SWA Spyder

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
A month before the season starts I chose which bow and arrows I will hunt with. That's all I'll shoot until hunting is over.

Do that and you will be fine.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tim Finley:
I find it hard to go back to a heavy bow after I have shot a light one for awhile,
x2 plus as said above I shoot 3d to practice for hunting and only have 2 bows anymore,  a 60 lb widow recurve and a 55 lb widow longbow .. I guess it depends on what your main reason for shooting tournaments is, but for sure shoot your hunting rig a lot before season..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
I don't think it will matter at all.  You get used to changes fairly quickly, as long as you give it at least a little consideration ( don't switch the night before season).  If you stay within reasonable shot limits it may not matter at all.  Experience indicated a heavier arrow will soak up more of the bow's energy making the application much quieter.

As above, at this time, I shoot all year so that I can hit when I need to while hunting.  That can change at any moment in my life, but for now, and in the past, that is where it lies.  I use my hunting gear all year.
ChuckC

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
I agree that about a month before season shoot your hunting rig only. I also shoot 55-60# bows all the time. I do use lighter arrows for target. At "hunting" ranges" it does not make that much difference switching between arrows.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
I don't find the transition between a lighter and heavier bow difficult at all.  However, I do shoot the same grains per pound of arrow weight to bow weight.  That means the trajectory is about the same for either weight bow.  

Doesn't give me a flatter trajectory with the lighter bow, but enables me to shoot more (3D) with less effort and fatigue setting in to screw up my form. That being said, I do tend to go with my heavier bow starting a month or so before season, but more to get used to the weight than for any changes in how it might shoot.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. how ever it feels right. i personally shoot everything with the same bow, right now that is. after the seasons over i will play with my stable of bows and see if one tickles my fancy for a while.then i will pick that bow and use it the rest of the year...... or until i buy a new one.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by dbd870:

Same here. It comes down to what are your reasons for shooting 3D. One thing I dislike about some of the 3D targets is where the scoring rings safe located. They are set for insert longevity not anatomy. [/b]
X2
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©