3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons sharks  (Read 684 times)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons sharks
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
Charlie I tried that a couple on times and I get nothing.  Wondering why
Thanks
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
I also shoot Jim's Centaur big game head..
A round chainsaw file and eze diamond rod works great!

When honing and touch up with the rod, I stand it up and lightly push the head from tip first down the rod to back of head.

I have Jim's wheel system.... Still in the box. I need to give em a whirl!

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
"I have Jim's wheel system.... Still in the box. I need to give em a whirl!"- DO IT! I have been using this a long time before Jim has been offering them on his website. Greatest sharpening device yet from broadheads to hatchets to knives. What I LOVE is this set up will quickly put and edge on even the hardest knife materials very quickly. Once you learn how to judge the angle you want it is easy and FAST (hint: use a reference point like the grinders arbor). I put mine on a regular buffer from HF Tools.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Hey Kent,  I hear ya.

But when something works,  hard to change!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »
Jayb... you should be tipping the head at a pretty stiff angle when pulling it through the wheels. I usually put the thumb from the hand that is holding the RADA against the closest wheel which keeps both of them stationary.

You should be able to feel the wheels cutting and even see metal "shavings" coming off the head.

Once you get it to the point that the edge feels sharp hone it on a ceramic stick or diamond stick.
I can easily get them to shave with this system

It's about the easiest way to get an edge on a curved edge like the Simmons.

For straight edge heads I prefer the KME and I've heard Ron has come up with a way to do the Simmons. If so it would be fool proof.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
I've used the Jewel Stick. It takes a long time but works.

What I'm disappointed in is the noise my Land Sharks make while in flight. They sound like little missiles being fired. I think it has to do with the vents cut out in the design. Way noisier than my basic 3:1 design broad heads.
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
This simple and inexpensive ($5-$6) tool will give you a great edge very quickly. A crock stick to finish and you are good to go.

this is very true, but I can't EVER get them to work on it.  

Pat Kelly(pdk25) is crazy good at sharpening the simmons heads on one of these Rada wheels.  He needs to do a "how to" for the rada wheel.  **HINT HINT**
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
Jayb... you should be tipping the head at a pretty stiff angle when pulling it through the wheels. I usually put the thumb from the hand that is holding the RADA against the closest wheel which keeps both of them stationary.

You should be able to feel the wheels cutting and even see metal "shavings" coming off the head.

Once you get it to the point that the edge feels sharp hone it on a ceramic stick or diamond stick.

For straight edge heads I prefer the KME and I've heard Ron has come up with a way to do the Simmons. If so it would be fool proof.
Yep.  Took Charlie's advice on this a couple of years ago and can get them plenty sharp now.  If you're having difficulties with brand new heads you may want to check the initial grind and knock that down with a round file.  Once the edge is established the Rada is real easy.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 01:11:00 PM »
I too use the RADA and have had good success getting them sharp.  The real key for me was "Stropping" them on my thigh wearing heavy weight khaki's or jeans.  The curved edge worked better on my leg that had some "give" as opposed to a stropping board.  That took them to the next level for me.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »

Charlie,

pictures are worth a thousand word.   :)   please help me out with this!  i bought the Rada at your suggestions a couple years back and just couldn't get them any where close to where I was wanting.  I am going hog hunting this weekend, so i would much rather learn to do it in 5 mins on the rada than 10+ with the jewel stick.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©