3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trail tarp  (Read 464 times)

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
trail tarp
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
Anyone ever used a trail fly instead of a tent on a Colorado elk backpack trip. Trying to shed pack pounds and not spend a fortune. Just no sure how far to go to accomplish this feat.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Re: trail tarp
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
I've only been a couple times, but on each trip I went on, there was too much rain to not have a full tent. I bought a backpacking tent that is very lightweight, and does not take up much space at all.

Bisch

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
I have a Kifaru paratarp for spike camps.  Main camp is a larger tent though.  If the weather gets bad for a few days or more, it's a real pain trying to live under a small tarp.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
When I'm just using a tarp my minimum size is 10 X 10 and I have a poncho with me also.  On a wilderness grouse hunt in northern MN I needed that poncho one night to keep the sleet and snow off my head on one end of my A frame set up.  Bring zip ties too.....

Other wise a 10X10 offers a lot of set up options and coverage.....I like a tarp if bugs/insects are not an issue.....

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 02:40:00 AM »
I have a 10x10 lightweight tarp that's handy for some stuff.  A lightweight pyramid type tipi would cost more, probably give you more options, better weather/ bug protection if conditions aren't ideal.
Bare bones, few lbs heavier, but not bad.
Go ala carte, probably 1/2 to 2/3 again the price of a tarp, the tent body being the most expensive buy in. Round up the extra bits and pieces as necessity or budget dictates.

Strictly tarp, some of the outdoor gear, hammock camping outfits might have what you're looking for. The 10x10 I have weighs right around a lb..

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
Look into a camping hammock /w the rain fly .

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:00:00 AM »
Too much rain where we hunted elk in Colorado.  I have hunted elk there four times and I would want a tent.  Just my experience.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by huronhunter:
Look into a camping hammock /w the rain fly .
I agree and I'd check out the Warbonnet Blackbird first, all perfect reviews..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
I've used a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 on my last 2 or 3 elk hunts along with a generously cut Tyvek sheet for moisture and puncture protection for sleeping bag.    

Pros: more than a pound lighter than my tent, has a lot more headroom, has a lot more room period, can be set up in a variety of configurations, big enough to keep me dry (proper set up) even in hard rains, big enough for two if you really want to shave weight (buddy and I took an additional small tarp to add covered area - still way lighter than 2 tents), can easily cook under a roof if it is raining - much more difficult to do that in a tent, can use combination of trees and rocks as tie-outs or anchors in case you forget stakes (yes I did), mid-day naps are more comfortable than tents due to air circulation, bears don't have to destroy an expensive tent to get to you

Cons: need to practice different set ups at home, takes longer to set up than backpacking tent, generally need more space to set up, will most likely share space with spiders, bears can pull you out more easily

Tips: paracord or similar is your friend - but I always take extra cord into backcountry for a multitude of uses, I also pre-rig some of my mid-tarp tie-outs to save time in the mtns, use pine boughs to make a bed - way more comfortable and keeps your ground cover off of ground, don't worry about bears unless you're in the habit of keeping food in your sleeping area

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
I use an 8 x 10 siltarp. Very versatile, can be pitched any number of ways to accommodate the weather. Personally, I like to be able to see whats outside so I typically set it up with a view:)

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
I like floorless shelters as a good compromise between a tarp and a tent. Tarps large enough to give good protection from blowing rain take a huge footprint to setup properly -- that big a footprint is hard to find where I hunt in CO. I have used a GoLite SL2 and SL3 in the past, but this year will probably be carrying a Gatewood Cape; a single-man floorless shelter (shaped, not just a flat tarp) that is also wearable as a poncho to serve as rain gear and pack cover. Weighs 12 oz.

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
My brother has a hammock.
Got so cold he come knocking at my tent.
There is heat loss and ways around it but that can lead to packing more than you want to do.
2 man backpack tent with full fly is my shelter of choice. Fits all my gear too.
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
Tarptent Notch for me.  Weighs about as much as a tarp but has the benefits of a full tent.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
If you're looking for barebones Like me. I carry a military poncho. Got mine courtesy of uncle sam.
 Light weight, you can sleep under it, wear it, sit on it or use to lay your game on.
 Great multi use item.
Not bad for a day or too, but if it's damp it's hard to beat a full enclosure, which if you know how to do it, a full enclosure can be made with a poncho too.
Good luck
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matt Fowler:
I use an 8 x 10 siltarp. Very versatile, can be pitched any number of ways to accommodate the weather. Personally, I like to be able to see whats outside so I typically set it up with a view:)

Oh geez, it's Matt Fowler from Team Buglin' Bulls. I recognized the tarp
homebru

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I have used a fly for years here in Kansas when camping. But a lot of difference between here and Colorado. Last year my bag got heavy so I wanted to get some different views on the subject.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
This is what I am using this year

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/tents-and-bivys/mega-light-tent-BD8005070000ALL1.html#cgid=shelter&start=1  

Last season my son and I used a two man tent. It worked great because it poured rain when we got to our spike camp. But it seems my son didn't like spooning with his dad, and when it was pouring we couldn't cook in the tent. So I will take the tarp tent and he will have the two man this year. I am going to add a tyvek ground cover and give this a try. It is under 3 pounds and I got a pretty good deal off the web.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
I got a partial roll of Tyvex as they finished construction on nearby houses from the superintendent.   I am sewing the edges with a couple of loops on each side and reinforced corners.  That will be in my emergency kit. I have a couple of tents for various situations
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©