3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: They can smell you !!!  (Read 701 times)

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
They can smell you !!!
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Starting to get pretty excited about elk season.  I have been getting my stuff together, and practicing like crazy.  This morning I found my hunting laundry detergent, and wondered how many people are using scent control.  

Last year I was within 30 yrds of elk in thick brush a few times.  It never failed that just when you thought everything was coming together the  elk would bust out, presumably from catching our scent.  We don't use cover scent, but I use some of the scent killing sprays, and laundry detergent.

It got to be a running joke around camp that "they can smell you".  (speaking for elk)...  "Stupid human thinks he's sneaky,  I can smell his breath".  And so on and so on.  

We try to hunt the wind as best we can, but the elk like to run down wind and check, even before approaching water holes when we didn't make a sound.

Mostly just talking to my self here, But interested if you guys like to use scent reducing products, or if you think it is a wast of money.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: They can smell you !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »
I've never elk hunted but where I hunt whitetails here in Missouri the wind is never steady. I've never been able to figure out why but it swirls everyday on this river bottom farm. I use the detergent and deodorant and spray and from my experience it won't keep them from smelling you at close range when the wind swirls. I haven't tried all the brands but I figure it's all pretty close to the same stuff. Could be wrong. I still use it cause sometimes I feel like it's saved my butt lol. Anyway just my observations

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Nothing will fool an elks nose.  You must have the wind or they are gone.  Been hunting them for over 50 yrs. and have never beat the nose.  Eyes and Ears can be defeated but never the nose.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
What Mike said.

If they hear something they are mildly curious.  If they see something even more curious and might even try to get a better look.  If they smell you, they are gone.

No way to hide it, we stink!   :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
I think you guys nailed it.  It is a hard game to play, but when it all comes together it is so worth it.

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
I have been known to be an absolute fanatic when it comes to scent control. I've tried just about everything. I would bathe in water that sat out in buckets long enough to let the chlorine evaporate away and brushed my teeth with baking soda. I used special, scent free, UV killing laundry detergents then stored all my hunting clothes, to include socks, under ware, outer ware, hats and boots in closed, 5 gallon buckets containing earth and vegetation from the area I would be hunting only opening the buckets when I arrived at my hunting destination where I would change clothes away from my vehicle. I would powder my hair and body with Arm & Hammer and would swallow a teaspoon or so of the stuff in an effort to eliminate breath odors. My uncle even convinced me to try eliminating meat from my diet 30 days prior to season so I wouldn't smell like a carnivore. (At T-Minus 27 days I failed that attempt due to feeling very weak and shaky. I don't know how he did it.) I have had whitetails right on top of me twice and they didn't know I was there. HOWEVER, I have been busted every single time the wind and/or air currents were not in my favor.    :dunno:  

The bottom line? I don't think there is anything you can do to keep from smelling human. I'm still a little OCD when it comes to scent but, I know I have to hunt the wind/air currents to be successful.    :deadhorse:
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Smoke, smoke, and more smoke

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
A certain bit of "luck" is always involved. We can hunt the wind, but if at the last seconds it swirls its game over. I believe if its your destiny to have an encounter with the animal, they wont catch your scent from an unforgiving swirl of wind....thats after doing all we can intelligently do in the first place. Ive tried the whole scent elimination thing to the max, and use to preach it....but it became obvious it didn't work and I was only filling the product owners pockets and emptying mine. I'll save that money and buy arrows or hunting clothes instead, and trust the Master to guide them swirling winds away just long enough....

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
It's funny how everyone handles this. I used to be pretty stupid by doing nothing. But some things work to a certain level. Baking soda is awesome. The gal that sells soaps here has a great soap I was myself and my clothes with. I try not to sweat walking to and during my time afield. I've been close enough to whitetail a the last 3 yrs to touch them. But I've seen guides out west wear the same wool I. The cook tent with bacon frying, stand by a campfire, smoke a cigar the pop a cough drop in their mouth and walk up on elk. Sue says I smell like an animal. Maybe that works.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Use local wood and plant matter. Start a small fire and stand in the smoke. I try to be in it for bout 15 minutes, just be sure to get air as often as you need. I now use a bee smoker. I noticed a big difference down here. I use alot of creosote and sage. It dosent make me complelty scent stealth but it has given me an upwind one encounter multiple times since I started doing it. For those times in the hills and gully's when the wind never stays constant.
The store bought stuff seems to be a waste though.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Use local wood and plant matter. Start a small fire and stand in the smoke. I try to be in it for bout 15 minutes, just be sure to get air as often as you need. I now use a bee smoker. I noticed a big difference down here. I use alot of creosote and sage. It dosent make me complelty scent stealth but it has given me an upwind one encounter multiple times since I started doing it. For those times in the hills and gully's when the wind never stays constant.
The store bought stuff seems to be a waste though.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
Great feed back.  I am surprised at the use of smoke to eliminate human stink. We are always so careful to remove hunting clothing before standing by the fire. I suppose it is a natural scent.  The only cover scent we have used is finding elk urine, and rubbing the surrounding dirt in our clothes and packs.  It is funny how much "destiny" has to do with it.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
Smoke, no smoke, scent products, none.  Doesn't matter, you will not beat the nose of any animal we hunt.  NONE.  There is nothing you can do.  Going to hurt some feelings here probably, smoke doesn't help either.  There have been scientific studies done one this.  A Whitetails deet has thousands upon thousands of extra scent receptors, over canines, let alone humans.  You can't fool them.  You can only hunt the wind.  There is NO substitute.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
The only luck I have had with swirling winds has been when I was fairly high in a tree. I guess that sometimes makes it difficult for the animal to pinpoint my location, making him hesitate while deciding which way to leave. Whenever the wind is straight and direction is not an issue, the deer is immediately gone. I have never hunted elk, but I feel sure the results are about the same. I don't really believe in scent covers, etc., but I do sometimes use them, particularly attractant scents. I guess P.T. Barnum was right.
Sam

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I used to be a fanatic about scent control thought it would let me cheat. It didn't

As I got older I learned skill was more important.

I still take a scent free shower, but I don't wash my clothes as much or buy the scent free things.

Now that I live in Idaho I may try the smoke thing. Maybe the elk will think I'm a forest fire
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
X2 " I used to be a fanatic about scent control thought it would let me cheat. It didn't

As I got older I learned skill was more important."
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
I use the deoderant, laundry detergent and spray. It won't keep them from busting you if you are down wind but I think it can help. I hunt the smoky mountains and there is never a consistent wind but if those products can buy me a few more seconds it can be all the difference. Deer numbers are way low and just getting sightings can be difficult. The deer I hunt can walk for three counties through unbroken forest.

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
I use scent free detergent and scent free soap and scent free deodorant, and try to hunt the wind all I can.

But yes, they can smell you if the get downwind of you.

Bisch

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Jake Scott, can I see these studies that smoke doesnt work?  Id love to

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Yeah, just expect to get busted more times than not and where they are coming from and where you can get to get past their nose. Nothing beats their nose!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©