3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rock climbing harness, who has fell out of tree wearing one  (Read 700 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
rock climbing harness, who has fell out of tree wearing one
« on: August 07, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
wondering about trying one this year on my superlight portable stand set up I keep in my work car..  

have any of you or anyone you know actually fell out of the stand wearing one and what happened, did you flip around maybe upside down, even hit the stand with your upper body or head?

and in the very very cold weather when I'm wearing 2 pairs of base layers then insulated pants then wool pants over those would the rock harness with only a belt hold slip off because of all the layers,,, maybe it would be better for the warmer temps only..

any opinions appreciated..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: rock climbing harness, who has fell out of tree wearing one
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
I used to do be a climbing bum years ago and I've fallen in a rock climbing harness hundreds of times and from about every angle imaginable and i always turned right side up. I have always used a climbing harness when hunting out of a treestand. I've never fallen out of a tree wearing one but could only assume it's  safe. I use one with the adjustable leg straps while hunting so layered clothing isn't a problem. One potential problem is most climbing harnesses have multiple gear loops on them. Cut all the gear loops off so in the dark you don't mistakenly clip into one of those.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I have fallen off of rocks a ton using a climbing harness. I like Josh, have never fallen out of a treestand but I have had pretty long falls off of rock faces. I believe in them. the advice about the gear loops is good advice.

Mike Sturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
X3, I guess... rock climbed for several years, took some falls. I would definitely opt for a rock climbing harness if I were in a tree. I'd also use climbing ("dynamic") rope rather than the "static" rope usually used.
Also X3 on cutting off the gear loops; good idea guys!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
okay sounds good and thanks for the posts,,,,, is the there a favorite brand or model you like for hunting?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
I'd be interested in brands and models as well.   I did actually order one a couple of years ago but returned it.   It wasn't near large enough to wear over bulky clothes and I didn't care for the way the straps and buckles worked.  

I'd like to find one that allows easy and quick hook ups and has enough adjustability for a variety of clothing options.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 12:11:00 AM »
Im a fan of the Petzl Pandion Harness. It is super sturdy and only has one gear loop. It only comes in one size that I know of and  adjusts to fit both my friend ray (260lb  5ft 10in samoan D-lineman)  and myself (170 lb 6ft 1in skinny white guy).  It covers a huge size range. It has easy to adjust buckles ( bet you could do it with gloves on) and it is damn near indestructible. It weighs something like 10 oz. So it is pretty light for packing in and out.  

It is not padded at all. But if your in a tree stand you don't need or want a padded harness anyway. (unless you decided to repel down the trees and swing from tree to tree in which case we will need a video)

Here is a stock image from the web:

Slowbowjoe-- Great idea on the dynamic climbing rope. I overlooked that one!

Msturm

Aloha!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »
That one looks nice.  Do the leg straps have tag ends so that you undo from the buckles easily?
If I remember correctly from the one I had returned the leg loops were closed and it required you to step into them rather than buckle them up.   I didn't care for that.  

One other question -  can these harnesses be worn underneath the outer clothing layer?  I would want to be able to access pockets on my jacket and a waist strap on the outside makes that difficult.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
I believe that Petzyl is the one Kevin Dill talked about in a thread,some time back.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
I slipped off off my bolts last year going up the tree with mud on my boots. I have webbing around my rock climbing belt for a linesman's belt and no problems there. I have tested it the yard low to the ground with no problems. This will be my 3erd year using a rock climbing harness. I had SOP before.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
Whip: The harness pictured is a step through model. You can completely undo each leg but it would be such a pain in the neck and so time consuming i don't think it would be worth it. But the leg holes open wide enough to get into it even if you are dressed like the little brother in the movie "a christmas story".   I don't see why It couldn't be worn under the final layer of clothing, Just have the line attachment point poking up above your pants/belt buckle to make it easy to tie in.

JimB. I couldnt find the thread. Did he have any complaints with it?

Aloha!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
https://www.rei.com/product/699550/black-diamond-alpine-bod-climbing-harness

this is the one I have.  I will disagree slightly on cutting all the loops off at the beginning.  at first, I was hanging my climbing sticks on mine while climbing up the tree.  I have since moved to a different technique.  Just be sure you don't wnat to use them for anything before you cut them off.  They wont be real easy to add back on!  ;)

If you would like, and it can help you, I will video me hanging my stand with mine on.  I havne't done it in a several months, but it wont be hard to freshen up on.  

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
thanks for the links and posts I'm going to get one of those two this week,,,, keeping gear loops on for bringing up gear is great tip because thats how I like to climb,,,,,I hate going back down for something everything has to come up  with me or para cord is attached to me to pull up my gear after setting the stand..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »
hey one more thing,, the connection point for the life line is in the front of the rock climbing harness at your belly which makes sense but what about when in the stand do you leave the line connected in front of you or connect to back only while in stand?

if you do leave it connected in front then it has to have enough slack so it doesn't interfere with shooting or when you draw to anchor maybe to lean forward to shoot downward, if I'm right what is the drop at that point 2' or 3' before you suspend,,, just trying to figure that part out before spending money.
"Us vs Them"

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
Another tip is to get one where the gear loops have weight rating (called haul loops).  Some have haul loops that are rated for as much weight (force) as belay loop.  This gives you a second tie off if necessary.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
I use one.
I have never fell. But I have intentionally kinda fell n not a problem. I also hang in my harness while hanging my sticks. More comfy than standing on a climbing stick leg!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
I think mine is the butt orange colored black diamond I believe. I use a beal dynaclip between my harness n tie off to act as a shock absorber.

There is tons of info out there. But they are on the compound bow sites. Lots of testing and pics and info.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
hey one more thing,, the connection point for the life line is in the front of the rock climbing harness at your belly which makes sense but what about when in the stand do you leave the line connected in front of you or connect to back only while in stand?

if you do leave it connected in front then it has to have enough slack so it doesn't interfere with shooting or when you draw to anchor maybe to lean forward to shoot downward, if I'm right what is the drop at that point 2' or 3' before you suspend,,, just trying to figure that part out before spending money.
Mine is always hooked in to the front.  I will admit that it will take a little bit of time to get used to.  I had to figure out exactly how I wanted to wear it.. much like anything new.  

you will have to leave your line longer than usual as it is going to your front and not the top of your back.  If i want to stand up, I just stand up and slide the prussic up the line a little.  If I want to sit down, i'll loosen it and adjust it a little when I sit down.  The way I have mine set up with the prussic, I can easily adjsut it with one hand.  so it isn't a problem.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »
What are the advantages of a rock climbing harness vs. a quality tree stand harness?

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
okay thanks again.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©