3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rock climbing harness, who has fell out of tree wearing one  (Read 699 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rock climbing harness, who has fell out of tree wearing one
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by 2nocks:
What are the advantages of a rock climbing harness vs. a quality tree stand harness?
Hang time. Hang in your harness. It's horrible. I use a muddy cause it was light n nice to use. Try hanging it that baby once. You'll see how awful it is and why if you fall you need to get out of it as soon as possible cause if you can't it can kill you.
Then hang in rock harness, it's very comfy n a joy to hang in without cutting of blood circulation. Lighter and more comfortable.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Got my only tree stand ever in about 1979.  A baker climbing stand.  Very simple.  The safety harnes was a section of web that went around the tree with a D ring and another section of web buckled around the mid section.

I never fell wearing that thing but if I had, it probably would have killed me verrrrry sloooowly.   :biglaugh:  

The day I fell while going up the tree is the day I gave up tree stands!  I know that what you guys are using are worlds apart and ahead of that old Baker, but I'm just to old for that any more.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
you know redshaft its funny you mention that because it hardly gets mentioned but redshaft is right you can die by just hanging in your harness,, if you can't climb back in stand get out of that harness.
"Us vs Them"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
Unless you try n hang in your harness n see what it's like you have no clue how awful it is. And I'm a lightweight!
I couldn't imagine being out of shape n over weight n falling and hanging in a harness. If you can't get back on your stand I pity you.
You guys really need to try hanging in your harnesses. It's no joke!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline buckfever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
I switched to a RC harness last year and love it!
So much more comfortable, safer and piece of mind knowing that a fall recovery will be a piece of cake.
I got the black diamond vario and use a standard rope tether with a prussic knot.

It is so comfortable, I get home and forget I still have it on

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
https://www.rei.com/product/699550/black-diamond-alpine-bod-climbing-harness

I have used the Alpine Bod for the last two years. It is comfortable and easy to put on. Buckle the waist belt and hook up the leg straps.
If I am using a hang on stand and a lifeline I just stay hooked up to it when I am in the stand. I tied my Prusik ropes longer so they lay in front of me and go around to attach to the rope. I keep it pretty snug so I feel it tighten when I turn for a shot.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
If you Don't want the safety rope infront of you, you Don't want to hand helplessly from your body harness, and when you stand up you have tension on your back in a three point stance...try a Petzl GriGri 2 self belaying devise on your body harness...tippit

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=110494#000000
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©