3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying hard to get into Trad!  (Read 951 times)

Offline 304Aaron

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying hard to get into Trad!
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
I've been making an effort to learn traditional archery for a long time now. I had a long bow then I bought a Samick sage at 45lbs thinking this would be a little better to learn on. I've read everything I can and the age old wisdom that everyone gives is to find someone to "mentor"  you that knows what they are doing. The problem is that I don't know anyone who shoots trad and haven't been able to find much help in the last 5 years. I've asked everyone I've came across and they usually say "just get some arrows and start shooting".  I shoot every day and can't seem to get much better or get arrows to fly staight. I try all the form and tuning methods I read but can't
put it all together. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next? Thanks!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying hard to get into Trad!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
To bad you are so far away . I would be glad to work with you .
Seems like you could find someone near you that could get you going .
G Fred Asbell has some good books with good pictures that could really be helpful for you .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Faith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
video yourself and post it on here, there are many excellent shooters and form "coaches" that will be happy to help, more info regarding your draw length, arrow, point weight...a lot of factors go into a well tuned traditional bow...
welcome to the wonderful adventure of traditional archery!!
focusing on the problem is not a solution-anonymous

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
Just having the right arrows will make a huge difference in your shooting and confidence. They need to match your setup

I had a lot of frustration when I first started traditional archery. But then I found the right arrows and it made all the difference
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
best place to start is with information, go on youtube and google moebow  start watching and trying to soak it in, work on a few things at a time.  getting your form down will allow you more consistency and accuracy which means more fun.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
What part of West Virginia are you from, there is a club around wheeling where you could get some help.
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Not sure how far away you are but you could come to the Eastern Ohio Traditional Rendezvous Cambridge,Ohio next weekend. There will be plenty of shooters willing to show you the ropes.
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline 304Aaron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
I'm farther south in wv, closer to Charleston. I'll order the book and start watching YouTube tonight! I'm kinda desperate at this point. Thanks for the response guys!

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
If arrows don't fly straight then all the form in the world won't help you. Me thinks this could be the source of the issue. Start posting your spine type or arrow and what grain point you are using. Also read an article on bow set up nock point and brace. A properly set up bow and arrows is what every person needs start exploring and asking questions. Not far along the journey myself but my set up is tuned and I'm getting better
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
If you get a Mentor make sure he is actually a good shooter, no reason to learn a bunch of bad habits. Byron Ferguson has a book and video that is good intro to traditional and goes over all the basics.  A really good bow set up and arrow tuning video is on youtube by diamondback archery. (Sponsor here).  Its the video that starts out setting up a recurve them moved to shooting arrows at straw bails to group tune arrows.

My tips dor you:

Learn good/proper form, attend Rod Jenkins clinic, get a decent bow that is not too heavy or too short, learn to group tune your arrows since bare sheft tuning can be tricky and frustrating, get good arrow FOC.  200-250 grains min. between insert and head, learn what blank bale shooting is to practice form, dont practice every night if not quality practice, shoot three under and use a fixed crawl if wanted, attend at least one shoot/Rendezvous a year to meet bowyer, Trad guys and shoot ofcourse.  Several shoots in Virginia, Maryland, Ohio,Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana that are driving distance from you.  If you want to talk them PM me.  Good Luck!!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
I would recommend attending a shooting clinic like those by Rod Jenkins or Fred Asbell.  Master of the Barebow videos are great, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline 304Aaron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I've read some of that and I know it's different but I'm very experienced with setting up compounds. I have the brace height at about 8" and knock exactly 1/2" high. I've been using gold tip traditional arrows. The ones I've got to fly the best are 400 spline cut to 29.5" with 200 grain insert and 150 grain point. But I did just buy some 500 spline shafts that I can cut to any length and do whatever with the insert/point. I'm only drawing about 27" to 27.5" draw. I think maybe I'm short drawing. I'm 6'1" and I draw 29" on a compound with a wrist release.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
304Aaron, where are you in WV?  I am in Charleston.  There are a lot of trad guys scattered around WV.  You may want to go over on bowsite.com and get on the West Virginia state forum.  Not trad only, but a lot of trad guys in WV get on. I'm sure there is someone not too far from you.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Dont feel like you are alone. My start into trad was my Dad handing me the bow and a handful of wood arrows, told me how to anchor, and a 1 minute run down on gap shooting. Many many years later, I do ok shooting instinctive, and tuning, which was all learned on my own with books and later in life some videos. I can be done, if you really want it, its just easier with a mentor.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
Private message me your address.  I'll send you "Masters of the Barebow" volumes 1-3.  That will be a good start.  There is tuning info on them too.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
When I first started shooting trad, I had no mentor either.

I was doing it all alone, and I soon became frustrated and nearly gave it up.

But then my frustration turned into an obsession, and now it's second nature!  I love it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Stick with it, give it some time, and read/watch everything you can get your hands on!

Oh yeah... and shoot/fiddle with it a bunch!  You'll be glad you did!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline 304Aaron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
I've told a few on PM's, but I want to thank all of you for some of the directions you have pointed me and the words of confidence you have given me. I've been in the Bowhunting world (compounds) for a long time and I was a little hesitant to post this question, but the kindness and lack of sarcasm from you guys have blown me away. I've  been near giving up and just sticking to the compound before, but you guys have given me new hope! Thanks so much!

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »

Here a shoot coming up, not sure how far from you, but may check it out.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=150745
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Check out Jeff Kavanagh on YouTube. He addresses all aspects of trad archery in his ongoing video series.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
Aaron,

Here a very good film on the basics and one mans opinion on shooting. Check it out and see if it will help.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=149648#000000
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©