3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quivers  (Read 1164 times)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back Quivers
« on: August 08, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
What's a good back quiver that's safe to use with broadheads? I have bow quivers, but I'd like to pick up a back quiver that I could keep my broadheads in as well as a couple arrows with judo points for shooting squirrels and rabbits.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quivers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
I always use head covers on broad heads in a back quiver so that I don't cut the quiver.
Sam

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
Any well made Hill style quiver will do the trick. Those sold by HHArchery, Sunset Hill, American leathers, northern Mist, etc.

Arrows are held fast no problem with broadheads.

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
I have a cat quiver and it works great.
Protects your feathers and holds the arrows solid so no rattling around.
Also, arrows will not catch on the brush with the placement in the middle of your back.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
I made a back quiver with about 3/8" leather bottom that would be safe with any broadhead, but I don't like my broadheads rubbing against each other - they don't stay shaving sharp very long doing that. I made very simple leather covers for the broadheads - takes only a couple of minutes to hand stitch them - and it keeps them quiet, protected and sharp.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Any back quiver will work. I have several and just put a piece of foam inside the bottom to help with noise.

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
I dropped an additional piece of leather in the bottom of mine. I also traced and cut a piece of foam and tuck it in the opening to keep the arrows from moving around.
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
Soap Creek here on Trad Gang. I own a HHA and one from Soap. I prefer Soap's.

When I hunt with broadheads, I use homemade leather covers for them, more to keep the heads sharp than to protect the quiver.

Soap Creek's classified.
   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=48;t=002707
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
I have a small chunk of foam in the bottom but also use broadhead covers.  Cut the fingers off a cheap leather work glove.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Dang, I thought I had really come up with something with my leather broadhead covers.  Sounds like might near everybody is doing it.  

Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline bow doctor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
Just put 3-4inches on the bottom of quiver some will fall out but that's ok the deer will just follow you to your stand   :clapper:    :biglaugh:

Offline bow doctor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
Forgot to say 3-4 inches of cracked corn sorry

Offline bow doctor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
Just put 3-4inches on the bottom of quiver some will fall out but that's ok the deer will just follow you to your stand   :clapper:    :biglaugh:

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by tomsm44:
Dang, I thought I had really come up with something with my leather broadhead covers.  Sounds like might near everybody is doing it.  
Might be other doing it, but those are the nicest looking ones I've seen! Mine are just scrap leather stitched together. Interested in the flap you have on the one in the middle. I assume it's to help keep it attached within the quiver?
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
Howard Hill used to put bird seed in the bottom of his...... it seemed to work pretty well for him .....he killed more animals than most people see
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doug_K:

Originally posted by tomsm44:
Might be other doing it, but those are the nicest looking ones I've seen! Mine are just scrap leather stitched together. Interested in the flap you have on the one in the middle. I assume it's to help keep it attached within the quiver? [/b]
That's was the idea.  It worked pretty well on that one, but I used pretty thick/stiff leather on that one.  I used a thinner leather on the other two and it wasn't stiff enough to stay snapped around the shaft, so I trimmed that part off of them.  They fit snug enough that they typically don't fall off when removing from the quiver anyway.  I've thought about getting patterns for some of the more popular broadheads and trying to sell some.  I've been kicking around the idea of becoming a sponsor on here and try to sell some of my knives and leather.  If I do that, I may see if there is any interest in these.     :campfire:
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
I have a Wyandotte expedition model that I modified for extra thickness around the broadheads plus I have some covers for individual heads. I also have a plains quiver that I made that I made multiple layers of leather for use with 2 blade broadheads, plus an assortment of other heads. I put a cardboard wrapping paper tube in it for the judos.
I should be going through your town around the end of August and can bring them with me if you want to try them.
Back quivers are kind of quirky. They have to fit you or be able to be adjusted so that you can use them. The plains quiver is real easy.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by redfish:
I have a Wyandotte expedition model that I modified for extra thickness around the broadheads plus I have some covers for individual heads. I also have a plains quiver that I made that I made multiple layers of leather for use with 2 blade broadheads, plus an assortment of other heads. I put a cardboard wrapping paper tube in it for the judos.
I should be going through your town around the end of August and can bring them with me if you want to try them.
Back quivers are kind of quirky. They have to fit you or be able to be adjusted so that you can use them. The plains quiver is real easy.
Thanks for the offer!! I'm looking at a few, so I may take you up on it if I haven't found one I like by then.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 11:52:00 PM »
Soap creek makes a really nice back hill style back quiver for a really nice price. He is a sponsor.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 03:19:00 AM »
x2 cat quiver

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©