3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can this Be Salvaged??  (Read 547 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Can this Be Salvaged??
« on: August 08, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Hey all,

A couple months ago I was out shooting my Johnson longbow and heard a HUGE CRACK as I loosed an arrow.  The bow was about 10 months old and hadn't been shot much at all.

I looked down and there was a crack in between one of the lams that extended about 6 inches or so.  The bow is 66" and 48@28.

I'd like for you all to look at the pics and tell me if it would be possible to salvage it.  Mr. Johnson has already replaced it with a new bow.  I was thinking that if the crack could be glued and the weight reduced 5 pounds or so, I would like to keep it and shoot some with it.  It's a shame to just toss it out with the trash after so much care went into making her and all the emotion invested in her on my end cause it was my first Hill style bow and Dave Johnson had stopped building bows and I thought I'd never be able to get one of his bows until he surprised me with an email saying he was going to build bows again and would like to build one for me as his first one back.
I just hate to throw it out and if at all possible, I'd like to save it.

Look at the pics and see what you all think.  I know it's a TALL ORDER and I don't think it's possible, but maybe you all can talk me down from the edge...

There you have it.  What's left of my Baby....in all it's ugliness.
Thank goodness Dave Johnson is such a great man that takes care of his customers.  He jumped right on it and built me a brand new bow and for that, I thank him.

What do you all think guys and gals?

Thanks for your time.

Larry

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can this Be Salvaged??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Just to let you know how long the crack is....if you click on the 2nd pic and then zoom in on it, you'll see the crack goes from where my fingers are on the left side to right at those black marks on the right side.

It also has went through the wood on the left and stopped when it got to the glass.  That's the only thing that kept it from cracking on through all the way.....the white glass stopped it.

Just thought I'd see if anything could be done.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Sorry you lost a bow.  Depending upon how far up that crack goes, you MIGHT be able to cut the limbs off with enough mass to make a useable three piece bow.  Outside that, I sure can't see going to the trouble you would have to repair that one.
But.... I am not the expert here.
ChuckC

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
I would not attempt it.
Sam

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Just go get Spider bit!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
That sucks .
Been there done that .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Yeah I was hoping on that 1% chance I had given it.

It sure hurts to see her go though.

Larry

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
Throw some super glue in there, clamp it shut, and then hang it on the wall for decoration.  Don't attempt to shoot it again.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
Throw some super glue in there, clamp it shut, and then hang it on the wall for decoration.  Don't attempt to shoot it again.
X2

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
Except someday, the bow might end up with someone who doesn't know the history of it and attempts to shoot it.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
Except someday, the bow might end up with someone who doesn't know the history of it and attempts to shoot it.
Here's what I would do:
Repair the crack as mentioned above. Before hanging on the wall, write NON-SHOOTER:DISPLAY ONLY in indelible marker on the back side of the bow (wall side), spray over the marker with clear poly gloss so it can't be easily removed, then hang it as archery decor in your man-cave. Let your family members know the story. Then enjoy it. I have a Wing bow that's been hanging in my den for 30+ years that I would never shoot (tip lam missing plus it's left hand and I'm not) and it makes for a great conversation piece.
As far as trying to shoot it?
I wouldn't go there.
Aim small,miss small

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
I've been trying to think of something positive to say about your situation.  The only thing I can come up with is "nice freckles on that leg".  :)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
That's a good one!

Best compliment I've gotten in a long time.  
What's that tell ya about my social life that the best compliment I've had came from another man on my archery forum??

Have a good one Creek.

:)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
If the bow is only 10 months old you might contact Dave Johnson before doing anything else. I'm sure he will give you good advice. You might even get another bow. Good luck.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
Throw it on the fire!  Was that bow backset or string follow?  Nothing to do with the failure I'd just like to see the limb profiles.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©