3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: climbing sticks??  (Read 502 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
climbing sticks??
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Thinking about getting some lonewolf climbing sticks.Was wondering how high would a 3set section get me? Standard ones not the minis.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: climbing sticks??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
I just received a 3Rivers catalog in the mail. If my memory is right, it said 16 feet for the Lone Wolf set.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Depends on how long your legs are and how you position your stand with respect to the top step.

16 might be pushing it a fair bit with only three.  I generally carry four ( I use these all the time).  In the marsh, with lots of low cover, I often leave one at the base of the tree unused.  In the hardwoods, they all go up.
ChuckC

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
I have used lone wolf, I usually only use three and carry a couple screw in steps if I need to go higher. 3 steps will get you 15' ish feet

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
...a side note...3 muddy steps will not get you quite as high

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
I agree with all stated above. ~15ft..ish.... A little more a little less depending on your size & athleticism... I have a couple of Lone Wolfs each setup with 3 Sticks for normal. And 15ft is pretty typical. If I have a special tree or set that requires more, I'll add a section. I like the general feel of packing 3, but on occasion I need to be a sniper from above. If I were buying only one set total, I'd buy 4 then you have the option, or supplement like Michael.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
There is a guy on YouTube showing you how you  can climb with 1 or 2 sticks. Pretty neat.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
Be sure to check out the new XOP sticks. I have used 3 LW for 15ish years. Just got some XOP. May be a step up for 25% less
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Be sure to check out the new XOP sticks. I have used 3 LW for 15ish years. Just got some XOP. May be a step up for 25% less
KSDan, I plan to do that. I have one XOP Air Raid stand that needs a set of sticks.... I wanted to get some a year and a half ago at our Iowa Deer Classic but they weren't quite up to production levels. They looked nice and will pack better with the Air Raid.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
I've seen some videos where the hunter was reaching a stand nearly 20' with only three LW sticks. He had to be part monkey to get up there. The stick sections were way too far apart and the stand was over two feet above the top step. Very dangerous set up. Especially coming down in the dark.

Remember, you should always step DOWN onto the platform.

I used four sections to get up around 16'. With one foot on the top step and one foot on the stand I could safely hook my harness to the tree. Then ease onto the stand completely.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
I've used 3 for years. A couple of screw ins or strap ons for the first couple can get you as hogh as you need to go. Stretching them out while climbing up is no problem. Climbing down in the dark can be.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
16' is about right. I tend to set the first section up pretty high so that I get an extra foot or so out of it. Don't stretch it between higher sections.
FoCoBlackWidow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©