3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can't fix nock high  (Read 1637 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't fix nock high
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
When I went to heavier front end weights,even more than yours,I couldn't get rid of the nock high but the fletched arrows and fletched broadhead arrows fly well so I've learned to accept it.How the broadhead arrow flys will be the deciding factor.If it flys well in all conditions and even farther than you like to shoot for hunting,I'd call it good.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Have you tried raising and or lowering your brace height?

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by BenBow:
If you put a lot of pressure low on the grip you can put more pressure on the lower limb which can pull the nock down when you release. This will cause the arrow to bounce off the shelf.
I have the same issue with a Border that I recently got.  Sid (owner) recommends that you put more pressure on the throat rather than the heel of the grip.  i.e. high grip.Also help with limb vibrations.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
I had a similar problem a old Bear Griz I own.  I took of the  carpet rest and put down a thin piece of leather with a couple tooth pics under it. The problem ended. I don't know if the lower material on the rest did it, or if there was less kick off from the fletch  or what but it worked on that one.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
I'd forget about bare shafting. I tried it a couple of times, but realized I wasn't going to shoot deer with bare shafts and stopped fooling with it. As long as my arrows fly good with feathers on I'm happy.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
If your BH tipped arrows share the same mark as your field point tipped fletched arrows from 5 yards to 5 yards beyond your maximum effective hunting range, then you are most likely golden.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
As far as point weight I'm shooting 125-200gr points and 100gr insert on a 340 test shaft right now. I'll trim and see what it does but ultimately I want 300 up front so that could be it as someone said. The pressure low in the grip is something I have not thought of. I'll be sure to pay close attention to that to see if that's the problem. I'm shooting into hay bales but I don't really look at shaft orientation once in the bale so much as just how it comes off the bow. It's minimal enough that fletching corrects it in a short distance but paper tuning would probably show it at close range. I think that will be my next step along with group tuning. Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll be sure to test them and see if I can get this figured out

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
Sorry bout the last post. I'm still new to forums and this phone has tiny buttons. Don't mix well with my big thumbs

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks for your post Mitch.  And to Wheels2.  I have been struggling for several weeks trying to get my two new 7.5 Border CH limbs to stop shooting nock high. My Border 7.0s do not do this. Sent one set back to Border to test and confirm that the limbs are ok.  According to Sid, they are.  So having him tiller for spit even though I shoot three under to see if this makes the adjustment sought. Many of you far more experienced than me have run into the same thing. That gets my attention.

"When I went to heavier front end weights,even more than yours,I couldn't get rid of the nock high."  'Thanks Jim B for sharing this, as I am shooting HFOC arrows for the first time.  Never thought about this possibly being a contributing factor.

Scott

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 05:15:00 AM »
Main thing ive seen cause that is string torque.  Ive had bows drive me nuts with high nock bare shaft. It was not the bow it was me. Lower elbow and ease pressure on ring finger normally made it go away.

As far as bar shafting. I stil do it. Main thing I look for is they group together with fletched shafts. I care about impact point not how the arrow is stuck in the target. Some bows do well, some not so much.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
another vote for changing (increasing in my case) your brace height. Had the same trouble and when all else failed my bowter told me to raise my brace height about a quarter inch. Imagine my surprise when it worked.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
I had not thought of the brace height doin it. I'll try that as well. No chances to try some of these things out yet as I'm waiting for a new string and want to tune it all up with that string

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
just my thoughts and not sure who posted what above but if lowering the nock doesn't fix it then it may be a high elbow, too much tension on lower string fingers or your bumping the grip up at the shot..its a mechanical problem..
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©