3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leaving for Illinois next week  (Read 685 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
Leaving for Illinois next week
« on: October 24, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Any advice from the gang who hunt IL?  This will be my first whitetail adventure outside of AL, TN, or GA.  I'm hoping/expecting to see the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting.  I can hardly sleep at night for going over things in my mind.  I'm shooting as good as I ever have right now, but I can't help having this feeling that I'm not mentally prepared.  Hopefully, that goes away before I get there.  Anyway, if you guys have any tips I'd love to hear them.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaving for Illinois next week
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Have fun!!! Pick a spot.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
If you are hunting in northern Illinois you will be hitting the start of the rut, so calling and soft rattling may work for you. If you are hunting in southern Illinois it may be a little early for the rut and you may want to focus on food source. Over all it has been very warm here this year and the bucks seem to be moving at night more so than usual.

Depending on where you hunt, the deer tend to have different body styles. You may want to look over a few deer before you take one, just to get a feel for age etc. There is not a big buck behind every bush as some are led to believe, but once the crops get taken out (primarily corn), it tends to concentrate the deer in smaller pockets of cover and you will find the bucks with the does. If you are hunting in the south you may only want to hunt evenings and mornings, but if you are hunting in the north, I would stay out all day. Good luck and be safe.
Mike

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
I'll be hunting Pike Co. near Pittsfield, so I guess that would be west central, IL.  My actual hunt starts on Saturday, Nov. 3.  Maybe I will get lucky and get some cool weather by then.  I have no clue whether the corn will be picked by the time I get there.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
In all likelihood, the corn will be completely harvested.  I am a bit farther North, and it is beginning to look like harvest is winding down here.  The started even earlier to the S.

Deer activity has been VERY quiet here so far.  I've been out 15 times have had deer in range only once and in sight one other time.  The weather has been warm, but there is a good herd, so I wonder if they have been more nocturnal.

As the hormones flow, the activity is sure to peak.  Best wishes on your hunt.  

If you happen to get in some sort of pinch, look me up.  I'm probably 2 hours NE of where you will be (near Peoria).

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline saywhat?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
As I am sure you are aware, you will be in one of the most popular destinations of our state for deer.  The only advice is enjoy it.  Do what you are used to and good luck.  If you are going through an outfitter they should put you in the prime spots.

The weather here is finally cooling off and the leaves are turning/dropping.  Mostly all corn is out.  There may still be some standing beans or milo.

Keep us posted on how you fare.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
I'm leaving next week for IL. also and from past experiences your timing is about right.  The big bucks should be chasing the does. I will be hunting west of Springfield with fellow Tradganger Tique. Good luck on your hunt , hope you let the air out of a big one.
Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Greg,
Me and Mason just got back froma 3 day weekend hunt in Southern ILL. We saw at least 10-12 deer every time we took to the trees. Mason missed a 12 yd shot due to his lower bow limb hitting the Summit Viper treestand. Same thing happened to me about three years ago, AND it was on the biggest buck I had ever had under me to boot ! Just cannot shoot out the back of a Viper. Corn and beans are all picked. Few acorns, mostly red and black oak. The deer Mason missed was wolfing acorns down. No rut activity observed, does and bucks together, but no chasing or anything. That will all change the weekend of Nov 3rd !

As far as advice.... Do not shoot the first buck you think is big ! When a 140+ steps out on you you will know it. You will not have to wonder if he is a shooter or not. As many deer as RL is going to put on you , you will not have any trouble staying in a stand all day. I sat a few days for 13 hrs ! Would have stayed longer, but it got dark, haha !!! I hunted three years ago and saw over 200 deer in 5 days ! Not sure if you are on any heart meds, but after hunting ILL compared to AL, you may need them !   :biglaugh:  

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 09:21:00 PM »
Take lots of pics buddy!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Good Luck, Greg!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Scrapes are popping up all over the place now.  Missed a big 10 pointer on the 11th, bucks chasing does already around here, mostly year and a half old bucks.  Saw a big 'un chasing a doe hard and heavy last week in the middle of the night at work so the boys are in the mood, doesn't seem like the girls are yet though.  Corn is all picked and some fields have already been plowed under, weather turned cool on Monday, with lows in the 40s at night.  Doesn't sound cool but it was 80 here on Sunday.  Beautiful time to be in the woods, maples turning pretty, walnuts already nekkid, etc.  Had a 7 pointer under me yesterday evening and he was eating the dead leaves off the branches that I trimmed on Saturday and piled up near the stand.  What's up with that?  I could hear his teeth chomping he was so close.  Let him go over the hill to where my son was in another stand (the one I mmmmmissed the buck out of) but he never saw him.  Headed for Wisconsin tomorrow A.M.
Good luck on your hunt.  However I have heard that EHD (blue tongue) has hit Pike, Adams and Brown counties especially hard.  Just heard this morning from a guy that has found 56 dead deer on his 400 acres.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Good luck Greg! Looking forward to some pics and stories.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Same thing here Kevin. Young bucks chasing does, not knowing what they're doing. It's comical. It also ruined my chance at a nice doe last night. Corn is nearly all picked up here. I'm thinking I'll take Nov 5th - 9th off just to hunt every day.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowchef:
Good luck Greg!  My advise is take your TCLB with you    :goldtooth:      :goldtooth:      :goldtooth:      :goldtooth:  
It is going on the trip Doug.  The TC and my Adcock built ACS-CX are running neck and neck for #1.  I've already had one "bad adventure" with the TC this year, unfortunately it was'nt the bows' fault.

DW,  
I'm still planning to make it up there.  I've been so busy, I can't seem to find time to do anything right now.  Church committee meetings, band meetings, H.S. sports, work, etc....  This trip if nothing else, will be a nice break from the rat-race.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©