3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Returned From KODIAK! ( PICTURE HEAVY)  (Read 3179 times)

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Returned From KODIAK! ( PICTURE HEAVY)
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
Chris what a great start to the hunt keep the pics comeing this is my dream hunt .Thanks Shane

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »
Thanks buddy! Heres my hunting partner relaxing after a soaking wet day. The biggest advantage to having a tent with a stove. Even in August on Kodiak it wss a welcome sight after being soaked all day.

"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 12:57:00 AM »
Is that an electric fence around your tipi???

And congrats on the buck!

Bisch

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 01:53:00 AM »
Chris what great camp setup for that crappy weather were did you get the wood from did you fly it in???

Looks like you used a BW bow what happened to the RER wasnt it ready in time ???

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Yes Bisch we had2 electric fences. One around tipi and one around cooktent about 125 yards below us on edge of lake.
Yeah Shane i was shootin the Widow good and the RER got done just a week before i left. Not enough time for me to program my brain to shoot it. Lol

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »
Oh yeah we brought fake wood from Walmart in a box. Absolutely nothing to burn on Kodiak in that area.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Day 2 was foggy in the morning with rain and slightly cleared up by dinnertime. I hunted in a different direction to check out some country. Only saw about 15 deer with two forkhorns. I found s snowfield above camp and hauled down a backpack full of snow to help keep meat.

Our meat cache

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Day 3 was the only day we didnt wake up to rsin. We headed up to a high bench where my partner saw lots of deer on day 2. About lunchtime we split up and headed seperate ways. I worked a series of benches with mixed brush and cover and only spotted several does and fawnd. I dud see a group of deer way high by a snowfield so i started working that way around 3. The deer were in a very tough spot to slip in on but i knew it was worth a try.  As i got in the neighborhood a cloud blew in and made visibility very low. This was perfect and allowed me within 75 yards. Here i got seen by a couple deer but they didnt really make me out and i was able to watch them slowly work over a hump. I quickly dropped in a small creek and quickly made my way to where they went outta sight. As i peeked over the biggest buck was 40 yards out and saw me. I started crawling out of sight and started bleating like a fawn. The buck came to check me out while circling downwind. As he curcled i crawled behind the last cover and knocked a arrow. He came to about 20 to 25 yards and looked at me. I drew back and aimed and waited til my clicker said release. The buck slightly jumped the string and got hit in the high lung low back region. He sprinted downhill in a mad dash. I gave him sometime and trailed 300 yards to where i saw him out of commision. I walked up and placed a finishing shot. Was pumped to have a big mature buck!! Totally different body and face compared to my other buck. 2 to 3 inches of body fat across his rump and even the chest and back was loaded a inch or more thick.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
I quartered him up and started back to camp loaded heavy when i bumped into my first brown bear of the trip. Halfway between me and camp. I had to do a bunch of climbing to safely circle where i saw him.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
By the time i got to camp the rain had completely returned and i was soaked head to toe...

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
I am heading to Kodiak in Nov.  Is that a shotgun that you were carrying?   Did you carry it all of the time or just when packing meat?

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
It was on my pack 100 percent of the time. I really didnt mind or notice it. Just a extra 7 pounds i suppose. Felt really light when we ran into a few bears haha.

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks, I may go that route.  Very nice bucks, congratulations.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
Beautiful bucks!  What an awesome animal!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
Probably the prettiest deer.  Well done
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2016, 12:04:00 AM »
Great trip , one I would like to do someday...

Congrats sir.....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
I do  think the Sitka Blacktail is the prettiest of all deer. Not as much now as when in full rut. Super awesome contrast. I will probaly get that big buck mounted with a full rut coat. We didnt keep the capes this time of year as they were somewhat patchy.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2016, 12:41:00 AM »
Day 4 rained all day HARD. We never left the tent except to eat and check meat. I broughr my skulls in and worked on them for hours peeling velvet and stripping every little bit of meat i could off. Removed brains and sank heads in lake to flush blood off and let the shrimp eat.
Day 5 was still raining hard and foggy but we had to get out and give it a try. After hunting allday i had seen quite a few deer on distant hills but only one spike buck anywhere close. I put a stalk on that buck and as i was cidcling behind him to get the wind i saw a fresh mound of dirt with birds flying up. Apparently a big furry bear had carried my previous carcass about 300 yards to a nice knoll and buried it. I quickly passed by the area spooked the spike and climbed a hill to get outta there. Not 5 minutes later mister brown bear walked out and sat down by the carcass. By this time i was 300 yards uphill watching with my buddy. Not 30 seconds later i looked right and a sow with a tiny cub came out about 500 yards to our right. Straight between us and camp. Then to top it off the fog rolled in and we couldnt see 50 yards! We climbed high and wide with guns out and bows strapped to packs. Never did see them again.

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2016, 12:46:00 AM »
How many bucks can a guy shoot up there?

Congrats on the second one!!!!

Bisch

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2016, 01:22:00 AM »
3 bucks right now. Used to be up to 5 bucks in the 80s!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©