3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broadheads  (Read 798 times)

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
broadheads
« on: August 11, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
You know I'm setting here sharpening my new broadheads and got to thinking, the amount of money that we all pay for broadheads, and good money I may add, they should all come razor sharp out the pack. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one thinking the same thing.   :banghead:
Floyd Crowder

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: broadheads
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
I don't think that, I enjoy sharpening them to my liking.  We're all entitled to our own thoughts however.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Some people actually like sharpening their own broadheads.  It's part of the tradition.  Kinda like fletching your own arrows.  But I hear where you're coming from.  Maybe some of the trad distributer should start offering a sharpening service for a small fee.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
I like sharpening them myself too.

Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Longbowcrowder66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong I like sharpening them too, just thinking bout the dollars spent on broadheads. But any hobby you have will cost ya....
Floyd Crowder

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
I was working some of mine over today as well. I have often wondered why some manufacturer didn't make some that were razor sharp already. I personally don't mind doing it because I like to put a hollow ground edge on my Zwickey Eskimo's. I still have 24 new ones left in my stash that I have had for a long time, so I won't be changing anytime soon.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
You are right they should come sharp but I too enjoy the sharpening like I do fletching.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
In the past I've shot stingers that were pre-sharpened, but I've really enjoyed sharpening some grizzlies this year.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
I think Bill Dunn posted a series here a while back showing the process of building a quality broadhead.  Grizzlies are a pretty good value if you ask me.  You want razor sharp out of the package, you can have it, priced appropriately, about 2 or 3 times that of a Grizzly or Zwickey.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
You can buy plenty of hunting sharp traditional broadheads, but you will pay for the service and have to sharpen them after shooting anyway.  Give me a good initial grind and I'll take care of the edge.  JMHO
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Years ago I had some of the original Zephyr Sasquatch broadheads and they were hollow ground and sharp right out of the package.  

I don't mind sharpening my own.  Since I test them all in stumps or dirt I have to resharpen before use anyway.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
The German Kinetics I shoot come razor, scalpel sharp out of the box. They should though, as they cost over $20/head.

But I do agree that any broadhead should come ready to hunt, then need to be sharpened after it has been run thru a critter!

Bisch

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 10:36:00 PM »
You have to realize that nothing is free, sharpening a head adds production cost for the company. Cost that the consumer ends up paying. If you want to save some cash and spend an evening with the file and kme sharpening your heads, go for it. If you want to pay a little more for sharp heads, the market offers that too.

If you buy your BHs from RMSGear they will sharpen them razor sharp for a small fee.  well worth it imo if you have trouble getting shave sharp heads on your own.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 11:09:00 PM »
Even those that claim sharp, are never sharp to me. Im working on Tuffhead 300's right now, and they come roughly sharp and advertise as sharp.. I still need to file up a burr, then coax it off to an edge to make me happy. Man will they take an edge though!!!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
I always wondered why non of the folks who really have a talent when it comes to making dull broadheads scary razor sharp don't make some extra money here with that skill,,, there are alot of people who would pay for that.
"Us vs Them"

Online Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
Wish some of you that enjoy sharpening them lived close, I would give you some thrills. Lol! It does seem like part of the tradition as stated, just not as good at it as I would like too be. Funny how the mind travels through past hunts and dreams of future ones while doing those little task in preparation for the hunt.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
Because it seems money is harder to come by than time, for me at least, I appreciate the lower cost of not-so-sharp broadheads. And I do enjoy the tradition of sharpening them myself. I see it as one more way to be personally connected with the process and my equipment.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
self reliance.  self satisfaction.  It is part of the process for me.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
If I can't get a head razor hair popping sharp with a new file, I don't use them.
N/A

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
At least some of the broadheads need to be shot and resharpened plus need to be resharpened any time they are shot at game,so I don't like paying someone to get mine hunt ready.A bowhunter needs to be able sharpen broadheads and even the sharpening challenged can learn to do that with one of the KME systems.I had always been able to get them sharp enough to kill but 8 years ago,I got the KME and the heads are now sharper than I ever could have imagined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©