3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wind drift VS BH design  (Read 403 times)

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Wind drift VS BH design
« on: August 11, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
What is your experience regarding different broad head styles/sizes and the impact heavy cross wind has on them?

How much difference do vented heads make vs non vented of the same make? Do all vented heads make noise?

What about size? Lets use 100 and 300 grain vpa 3 blades as an example.  I know that the larger head will catch more wind but will it really make any  noticeable difference at shooting distances?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wind drift VS BH design
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
The 300 might have more surface area, but its weight also makes it harder to blow off  course.

Vented noise depends on the head. I have 125 gr two blade snuffers that whistle noticably when shot, but a bear razorhead is nice and quiet.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
does more FOC help? I know when trying to buck the wind with a firearm a heavier round is the obvious choice.

Hard to make a 100 weight the same as a 300 but how about a  150g 3 blade with 100g insert and 250g 3blade just so everything is equal.

I'm bringing this up because I live in really flat really windy country, if you didn't hunt or fish on windy days you wouldnt do much hunting or fishing.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
It helps it stay on coarse, but it will still blow the back of the arrow over a bit.

I didnt see any vast difference though until I got more towards 25%.

Try to shoot straight into the wind, and keep em close. Its a limitation dealing with wind.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
Frankly, I see the back end of my arrows catch more wind than the fronts, sometimes blowing nearly sidewise.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
Hey chuck I agree fletching is probably s bigger factor than BH. and I have seen a noticeable difference between 4 and 5 inch fletch on windy shots past 30 yards. There is. Lot of conversation about fletch length but what about height?

. I'm toying around with the idea of 3 4" fletch with 150g vented Magnus buzz cut and 100g brass insert to see if I can't shoot a little straighter in the cross wind.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
Too much long range rifle thought.  Forget all that.  Don't think about it.  Just get closer.
Silence is golden.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
getting inside of 20 yards is ideal, i'm amazed how little wind impacts flight inside 20 yards, But much of the country looks like this  

Getting super close is going to be hard, I'd like to get every advantage I can.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »
My opinion is that if you are well tuned, 99% of the right weight broadheads with work just fine.

Bisch

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
UEFOC makes a world of difference in the wind.  I shoot 660 gr. arrows out of a 60# bow with an FOC of 31.4%.  They fly like darts and have enabled me to reduce my fletching to 3x3" parabolics.  I actually believe I could shoot razor vanes just as well.  The biggest issue in the wind with most setups isn't the size of the broadhead it's the size of the fletching IMO.  I get my arrow bareshaft tuned to my bow as perfectly as I can then add fletching and again, the higher FOC you can get with your shaft the better.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©