3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado GMU 85  (Read 376 times)

Offline Leefer

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado GMU 85
« on: August 12, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Good morning? I have grown up hunting whitetail in Alabama and surrounding states. However, an opportunity has fell in my lap to hunt elk in Colorado in GMU 85. After doing a bit of research, I can tell I need to get some advice on this entire adventure, and I can think of no better place than here. Here are a few questions:

1) How many days do you suggest for hunting?
2) I am shooting a 50 lb bear grizzly. Arrow weight?
3) I am driving. If successful, what is the best way to transport meat via vehicle and it not spoil?
4) Anything else you care to share from experience concerning any aspect will be greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado GMU 85
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
1. 2 weeks if possible.
2. I like 11gpp.
3. Big cooler and dry ice.
4. Get in shape and take a bunch of pictures while you are there.

Good luck! It will get in your blood and you will want to go every year.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
I assume you have a truck or SUV? An elk is a big critter a very large cooler is a must. I would pre plan a little by finding places along your route that sells dry ice. If you can get it froze before going home that would help a big bunch as well.

Offline Leefer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Thank you for the help. I'm down hear near the coast so I know the elevation increase is going to be an issue.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
Morning Leefer,

As suggested, spend as much time hunting as you can.  Sometimes you won't find the elk for 3-4 days. This year we are going for three weeks, 4 days to acclimate to the altitude and two weeks or more to hunt.

I agree with Rob and shoot 11gpp but it is more important to shoot an arrow that you shoot well and have confidence in than a specific weight.

For many years we have cut and packaged our elk in camp, taken it to a processor for freezing and then brought it back in coolers.  If you take your animal to a processor and it is vacuum packed figure your cooler needs by this formula - a cubic foot of cooler space will hold 35#s of vac packed meat.  If you DIY with plastic wrap and freezer paper you may need less space.  Last year our three bulls had an average yield of 145#'s of trimmed and packaged meat.  For the first time we trimmed and cut our meat and put in gallon ziplocs and then repackaged after we got home.  We also had a freezer and generator along that we ran pretty much all the way home.

Take your time and don't push yourself for the first 3-4 days.  Give your body time to acclimate to the altitude.  Make sure you drink a LOT of water - keeps leg cramps away and gives you more energy.  Two things help with mild altitude issues (headaches and low energy are common the first 36 hours for me) - Ibuprofen for the headaches as well as extra calcium like Tums, etc.

Best advice is to have fun and enjoy the wonder of the mountains in September, it truly is a magical time.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
85 is in my back yard. let me know if I can do enything to help you.

Offline Leefer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful information and advice. It definitely helps to have people willing to pass along their experience and knowledge.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©