3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Meals by the day....gallon ziplock  (Read 684 times)

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Meals by the day....gallon ziplock
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:44:00 AM »
In the back country wisdom post a couple guys spoke about packing a days food in a ziplock.  Anyone else do this?  I was going to PM a couple guys but thought it would make a interesting thread.  Would like to hear the contents that go in each bag.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Meals by the day....gallon ziplock
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
Macaroni & cheese is a good meal. Also ramin noodles and beef jerky (the cheap flat stuff that's dryer than a popcorn fart) also makes a good meal. Those meals like mountain house are kind of pricey. Add some boiling water and your happy.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
Inside my daily ration gallon bag is: either a Mountain House meal, or a homemade dehydrated meal (MUCH healthier and better tasting and brings the smells and tastes of home along with you); 1/2 cup each of cashews and almonds; 1/4 cup of dehydrated peaches and bananas; two Lara Bars; two oatmeal packs (with a spare freezer ziplock to cook it in); 2 links of Hunters's sausage; 2 corn tortillas that go with the evening meal; snack bag of powdered Gatorade or powdered Tang.  

Just grab a bag and go.  I don't worry about the contents being what I want or not.  When it's time to eat, I'll be hungry and I'm not picky at all.  I just look at it as being fuel.  I also pack the correct gear (for where I'm hunting) to supplement meals with fresh caught fish        :)  

To make things real easy and light, I combine with the below container to eat really healthy...

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
it's a good idea but i've never tried it.  One trick i have used is smaller OPSAK bags with my own version of high power oatmeal - instant oatmeal, protein powder, and some dried fruit.  Add boiling water, stir, wait a bit, and you have breakfast.  Rinse when done, roll up tight, wash at home and reuse.
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Yes the oatmeal is a very good idea and so is the gatorade. Does anyone know how long it takes for beans to hydrate?

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
Do a Google search for DIY backpacking meals. You can find a lot of alternatives to the more expensive Mountian House like options. Most ingredients are available right at you local grocery store. We travel with all dehydrated ingredients for the most part. All we need to do is boil water to cook a meal.

As for packing meals. When I backpack, we pack individual meals in either zip lock bags or we vacuum seal meals. For example a breakfast consists of an indiviual packet of instant Oatmeal, some dehydrated banana, an individual packet of Trader Joe's instant coffee, 2 Nutri-Gain bars, a small napkin and a wet wipe. That's an entier breakfast. That all goes into one small ziplock You also want to get as much air out of the bag as possible. Lunch consists of a meal that does not require cooking. You're usually on the trail so you want something fast and high in calories and fat. Summer sausage, those indiviual round cheeses, a couple small tortillas, an individual package of Keebler peanut butter crackers , and a snickers bar. Again this all goes into one quart size Ziplock freezer bag. I put all my individual meals into one food bag.

Search freezer bag cooking. Really good way to rehydrate meals. No mess, no cleaning.

There's a lot of great stuff available right at your local grocery to put together some really good meals. Some indiviual ingredients include: Knorr Sides, foil packets of tuna or chicken, Trader Joe's indiviual packets of instant coffee (include sugar and powered milk), microwave Mac and cheese,  Indiviual ice tea packets. There's a lot of really good DIY meals on backpacking forums. Just make sure you test any meals you try at home before you hit the trail! This way you know what agrees with your system.

Good luck!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
this is a cool thread, good knowledge here

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
This year a typical day will have :

Oats with chia seeds and powdered whole milk
Dark chocolate cocoa
Peanut butter bacon tortillas
Jerky/pepperoni
Cheese
Granola
Instant pudding with powdered milk

In the evening I have either mountain houses, teriaky noodles, couscous, or instant potatoes and Spam. I break up my 2 serving mountain houses into individual serving ziplock bags for space.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Reminds me of the times when I was a Boy Scout leader. We used to do a lot of things like the meals discussed here. It is fairly easy to pack nutritious meals that are very light and easy to prepare. Dehydration is the backpacker/hunter key to good eating.  

Kill shot, it takes beans a long time to rehydrate. They would work okay if you stay in a campsite for a couple of days, but not if continually on the move.
Sam

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Good stuff boys!!
Keep'em comming

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
I pack broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, along with some dried fruit such as craisins all mixed together for a little healthy snack. For main meals I usually pack a can of tuna, peanut butter tortilla wraps, pork and beans, and a small tube of Pringles. I also have a pack of instant coffee for those sleepy mid afternoon glassing sessions.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
Stop by the deli section of your local grocery store and ask them if you can have some condiments.  Almost always they will give you some.

They include, mayo, catsup, mustard, lemon juice and tartar sauce. They are easy, light and help dress up a meal without carrying the large bottles.  I also ask the waitress in restaurants  for a few  jellies and peanut butter for the same reason.

Mc Donalds have your salt , pepper and sugar.

BUT, I always ask and have yet to be turned down.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
Do you calculate the calories you need to maintain in the mountains.  So far I've red mostly daily meals at about 1000 cals.  You burn 3-4000 cals a day in the mountains.  You will burn out in 4-5 days at that rate of exchange.

Work your daily meals from a calorie need formula and you will feel and hunt much better.

We cook and dehydrate all of our meals and get our calorie per oz up as high as we can.  

It took years for me to realize it's not a forced diet but a fuel vs burn contest.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
On both trips to Colorado I ate trail mix for my day time meal, snacked all day on it. It was a basic Walmart trail mix with dehydrated fruit and vegetables from my host's garden aded plus dehydrated ham. The basic mix had assorted nuts, seeds, dried fruit and M&Ms. I carried a quart of water in 2 bottles plus had a filter straw in case I ran out. With a good breakfast and a hearty supper I never felt wanting for food. We hunted between 9K and 10K. This was in late August and early September
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Usual meal plan per gallon ziplock:
1 ProBar (breakfast)
1 pack Pop Tarts or Cliff Bar or second Probar (9AM snack)
2 bacon/almond butter tortillas plus a coffee (lunch)*
Almond/cashew/m&m trail mix (1pm snack)
Cliff shot bloks/Jerky (3pm snack)
Surprise pouch** (5PM)
Dehydrated meal (homemade stew/chili whatever with Idahoan potatoes or rice, etc plus added olive oil).

*-May substitute Moose Goo for bacon/almond butter
**-Surprise pouch may have homemade snack bar, chocolate bar, some sour gummies or other nice treat that breaks up the day.

I aim for 2600-3200 calories per day minimum. I try to follow a set snack routine if possible to aid in getting food in, but will also snack at different times if i feel i am starting to lag.
I remember being on a goat hunt a few years ago and by day three i was craving fats so bad i was fantasizing non-stop about licking a stick of butter. Since then i have realized that olive oil is a thing of beauty to help with energy/calories per gram. At times i have also just had a "shot" of olive oil and chased with water.

I consume between 3 and 6 liters of water per day, with every second liter having emergen-c added to it for sodium and electrolytes.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Daz:
Usual meal plan per gallon ziplock:
1 ProBar (breakfast)
1 pack Pop Tarts or Cliff Bar or second Probar (9AM snack)
2 bacon/almond butter tortillas plus a coffee (lunch)*
Almond/cashew/m&m trail mix (1pm snack)
Cliff shot bloks/Jerky (3pm snack)
Surprise pouch** (5PM)
Dehydrated meal (homemade stew/chili whatever with Idahoan potatoes or rice, etc plus added olive oil).

*-May substitute Moose Goo for bacon/almond butter
**-Surprise pouch may have homemade snack bar, chocolate bar, some sour gummies or other nice treat that breaks up the day.

I aim for 2600-3200 calories per day minimum. I try to follow a set snack routine if possible to aid in getting food in, but will also snack at different times if i feel i am starting to lag.
I remember being on a goat hunt a few years ago and by day three i was craving fats so bad i was fantasizing non-stop about licking a stick of butter. Since then i have realized that olive oil is a thing of beauty to help with energy/calories per gram. At times i have also just had a "shot" of olive oil and chased with water.

I consume between 3 and 6 liters of water per day, with every second liter having emergen-c added to it for sodium and electrolytes.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
a shot of olive oil? You are tough

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by kill shot:
a shot of olive oil? You are tough
Common mistake to confuse tough with kinda slow...    :D  

I just look at it as doing what it takes to meet caloric load and essential fats. Plus it helps me stay regular.
Besides, my Gran used to force cod liver oil on me as a tyke. Compared to that, olive oil is easy.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 05:21:00 AM »
Me and the wife together don't consume a gallon bag of food together in a day, but we are in our fifties and move slow in the woods, we carry food and eat what we need. Salami is a big staple for us out there, that's the food that fueled the RomanLegions on their campaigns. We also share a two portion Mountain House most nights. We have found some mre style power bars that are delicious, same company makes small 350cal packages of dried fruit and some mre dessert packs of sugar cookies. I've thought about dehydrating the salami, bet it would be good crunchy!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 07:22:00 AM »
For you guys looking at electrolytes, look at GU Brew or Nuun.  I mix a Nuun Energy in my water bottle and will take a few tabs with me to remix as needed thru the day.
I have more MH meals than I really wanted but my focus was on other gear etc for this hunt.  That'll be my breakfast and dinner.  
I also have instant potato packs and tuna or chicken to add.
Snacks & lunch are ProBars, trail mix, Clif bars, GU shots, Belvita cracker with Almond butter, bagel with PB and craisins.
Should be around 3+K cal per day.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©