3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Meals by the day....gallon ziplock  (Read 685 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Meals by the day....gallon ziplock
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
Can someone explain the bacon peanut butter wraps.  How do you cook the bacon and how long will it last.
T ZZZZ

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by ScottinPA:
For you guys looking at electrolytes, look at GU Brew or Nuun.  I mix a Nuun Energy in my water bottle and will take a few tabs with me to remix as needed thru the day.
I have more MH meals than I really wanted but my focus was on other gear etc for this hunt.  That'll be my breakfast and dinner.  
I also have instant potato packs and tuna or chicken to add.
Snacks & lunch are ProBars, trail mix, Clif bars, GU shots, Belvita cracker with Almond butter, bagel with PB and craisins.
Should be around 3+K cal per day.
You should try the Mountain Ops Enduro for drink mix!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
Can someone explain the bacon peanut butter wraps.  How do you cook the bacon and how long will it last.
I'd like to know also???   :help:

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
Just be thankful none of you have type 2 Diabetes. Trying to figure out backpack meals that contain few or no carbs is nearly impossible.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
I have been diagnosed with a wheat/gluten, egg, milk and oak allergy.  It is quite a challenge also.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:

Originally posted by tracker12:
I'd like to know also???    :help:  [/b]
Take pound of bacon. Fry it until crispy.
Place on paper towel to cool (this will get excess grease off). Take bagel or tortilla and spread PB or almond butter, and add bacon.

For those with a food saver, use this to seal in packaging, or just place in a good ziplock. If making before season, put in freezer. If making day before trip, just throw in pack.

I tried pre-cooked bacon once, but wasn't a fan.
During average fall temps they last a week. If you are hesitant, cook a few pieces and leave on your counter for a week. The nitrites in it prevent spoilage to an alarming degree.

The best insurance is to add honey as well ( if you can handle the extra sweet). Honey is a natural anti-biotic and preservative, plus the calorie boost is good too.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Online Diane.A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Pemmican An Acquired taste but Type 2 friendly.
(and boring)
Dehydrated vegetables help long as low carb, most nuts, dried salamis,landjager sausage and don't forget some fat,coconut oil solid at room temp and gee( clarified butter no milk solids to go off.)

Dried berries without the sugar coating read labels or make your self, watch serving size sugar can add up fast even with blueberries.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
Nature Valley makes a few different granolas that are high in protein.  I'm a big fan of the tuna packets.  Cliff bars are also another easy one one at about 250 calories a piece.  

My biggest suggestion, and this comes from being on the smaller side size wise and trying to maintain strength and stamina through multi day lacrosse tournaments, is sports supplements.  Amazing stuff these days.  From amino drink mixes that you can feel in your toes, to the addition of testosterone in lean muscle building complexes (especially over 40 which I am), the stuff is simply amazing as to how it makes your body recover from exertion.

Add a scoop of chocolate lean mass builder or protein powder to your coffee and you end up with a 300-600 calorie cafe mocha depending on ingredients.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Daz:
Usual meal plan per gallon ziplock:
1 ProBar (breakfast)
1 pack Pop Tarts or Cliff Bar or second Probar (9AM snack)
2 bacon/almond butter tortillas plus a coffee (lunch)*
Almond/cashew/m&m trail mix (1pm snack)
Cliff shot bloks/Jerky (3pm snack)
Surprise pouch** (5PM)
Dehydrated meal (homemade stew/chili whatever with Idahoan potatoes or rice, etc plus added olive oil).

*-May substitute Moose Goo for bacon/almond butter
**-Surprise pouch may have homemade snack bar, chocolate bar, some sour gummies or other nice treat that breaks up the day.

I aim for 2600-3200 calories per day minimum. I try to follow a set snack routine if possible to aid in getting food in, but will also snack at different times if i feel i am starting to lag.
I remember being on a goat hunt a few years ago and by day three i was craving fats so bad i was fantasizing non-stop about licking a stick of butter. Since then i have realized that olive oil is a thing of beauty to help with energy/calories per gram. At times i have also just had a "shot" of olive oil and chased with water.

I consume between 3 and 6 liters of water per day, with every second liter having emergen-c added to it for sodium and electrolytes.
What is Moose Goo? Thats a new one on me.
NRA Life Member

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
Moose Goo: (with credit to some guy out there from the PCT)

1 part organic honey
1 part organic almond butter
1/3 part quality protein powder
1/3 dried berries of choice (blueberries/cranberries)
Or nuts, or coconut. Whatever you feel.

Warm up honey, mix in almond butter and protein powder. Add in fruit.
Place in wax paper in whatever portions you like. Can also be added to camper's squeeze tubes to dispense like toothpaste.

This mix can be frozen for ease of cutting into blocks, or left as is. Eat in small squares, can be baked on sheets like a cookie (mookies). Put on bagels, tortillas.
With the honey it has an almost indefinite shelf life.
Brilliant backpacking food that originated on the Pacific Coast Trail in the late 80's.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©