3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I have a bow again  (Read 355 times)

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a bow again
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
I have horrible shoulders and gave up my kodiak mag at 55 pound as I thought I was done. Just for fun one day I picked up a 45 pound sage. No pain! I bought it the next day and have shot the heck out of it. After 7 yrs I'm rusty but getting better every shot. Found my form again today and am figuring this thing out. I have never taken a deer with a trad bow but had as much fun failing as succeeding  with my compounds. 45 is sooooo much more comfy than 55 was and I can shoot it all day without falling apart. I need advice. What arrow , how do I quit this 30.06 sounding bow. What broadhead at 45 pounds? Help me go trad. My goal is to cleanly take a whitetail this yr. I'm currently using 2114s and am thinking nugent heads or snuffers. I thank you for the advice. If this works out I'll be bugging yall about my next bow
Is it deer season yet?

Re: I have a bow again
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
Awesome!
I had to drop 10# due to a shoulder problem over a year ago and now can comfortable shoot 40#.

Your 45# will let the air out of a Whitetail with no problems.

I'm sure there are many here that can help tune your rig...

Good shooting!

Tony

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
What is your actual draw length with the Sage?

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
I have no idea. With a compound it's 29
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Your actual draw length will be the first thing you need to know, before anything else can rightfully be decided on. It will be considerably less then as with a compound. Then, we can help get you close on arrow spines and such. Start thinking about what weight head you will shoot, and arrow material type.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
2X what Shadowhunter said .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 06:48:00 AM »
Nice.  I'm a young buck with no shoulder issues and I just went down 55 to 45. Aka 41 at my draw and I am loving it. Hard to want to go back.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
A good quality bowstring will help quieten your bow. Especially if you are still using the stock string that came with it.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by txcookie:
I have no idea. With a compound it's 29
A semi-educated guess would have you drawing 42# @ 27". Based upon that assumption I would suggest something along the lines of a 29" 500 spine Gold Tip Traditional shaft with 250 grains up front as a starting point. If that set up worked good you can by glue on adapters in weights up to 125 grains. For instance a 125 grain Zwickey and 125 grain adapter equates to 250 grain broadhead. That would give you a good 500 grain hunting shaft that would be devastating on any deer.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©