3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Light bows  (Read 534 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Light bows
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
I prefer the heaviest bow I can handle, but as I get older, that weight is dropping. I think 40 - 50# would be the lighter weights I would prefer. I started out at 45#. I know a lot of people have killed a lot of game with bows even less than this.
Sam

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
I shoot a 40# longbow...and I only draw 27". I have killed many deer with that weight. Havent hunted anything bigger....might bump up a few pounds if I did.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
42 pounds. Sharp 2 blade and well placed shot has yet to let me down.  My form and accuracy increased exponentially when I dropped bow weight awhile back.  All you need for our big farm raised whitetails.  Of course the added bonus is I shoot longer and more often-- to me that's what it's all about.  Of course everyone is built different and to some 60 pounds will fill the bill...  Find what is comfortable for you and have fun.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
shot from 43-56lbs and settled on bows around 47-50lbs.  Perfect give and take for me.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
For me, I like 40# for targets and 45# for hunting.  I find that if I go much under 40# for targets, I have trouble finding arrows that work well at the distances I need to shoot.  I would love to shoot more than 45# for hunting, but I know at my age that weight offers the best compromise between accuracy and penetration.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
I dropped in weight from 55@28, to anywhere from 42@28 to 50@28 two years ago. All will do the job on deer size animals. I probably shoot better in the mid 40 range. With that said, I'll be hunting with my 47# Bear A mag riser, with #3, 45# limbs, making a 47@28" hunting rig this season. The 47@28" weight is not for deer so much, as the occasional hog that might venture my way. I have no doubt that any of my bows will do the job on whitetail deer when coupled with a sharp 2 or 3 blade head on my arrow of choice.   :campfire:

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
One thing to consider;
It's one thing to hunt with a bow that has enough FPS/KE to give a clean pass-through and humane kill. But all the so-called 'experts' tell you that you need to practice with the same tackle you intend to hunt with.
This is where it gets sticky for me.
I can get off a nice shot with my 55# Sage even in full cold weather gear, but practicing for an hour or more will tear me up. 45# is a compromise between my super-accurate Tamerlane at 35# and my Sage at 55. If you want the higher DW hunting bow, sometimes that means limiting your practice session times and # of shots, or practicing with a lighter bow. I find the 45# to be easy on the body for practice, yet possessing enough KE for a clean kill most of the time.
Aim small,miss small

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
My 70 year old body likes 40#...but I increased my draw length by an inch thanks to Joel Turner's Target Panic Seminar @ the PBS Banquet this past spring.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©