3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ordered a Helle blade  (Read 6884 times)

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ordered a Helle blade
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »
Just placed an order yesterday and Chad called me to confirm an early delivery date. Great service! Happy Holidays to you and yours Chad. You certainly helped me with a typical last minute plan on my part. Marty

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »
Good info here, thanks for sharing it with everyone.

Marty,
I've had a few last minute plans myself and always appreciated it when someone was able to help make the plan happen.

You folks in Florida have a wonderful Holiday Season. It was 6 degrees here this morning and I'm hoping for fresh snow for hunting.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
Chad, Got the Odel in the mail today(blade), thanks for great service, will be ordering more, maybe all of your blades.. Dean
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
Just got my polar blade and nice looking pieces of purpleheart and cocobolo.  Won't get to working on it til after the holidays though.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chad Sivertsen:
Jason, Moose? Did I miss one your stories? Skinning moose is a lot of work....but sweet work I guess. I heard from an Alaskan guide that gutted and skinned several moose a year. With his Helle knife he was into the third moose before it was necessary to sharpen the blade and all it needed was a quick touch up.

Of all the positive comments we get from customers "holding the edge" is the most common.
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=037314

I've been using that Polar for a few years on deer and small game, and knew it held an edge well. But Ed's moose and mine (add a dozen or so grouse too) really put it to the test. Those folks sure know how to made a blade!

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
Glad you got your orders, shipping times are still holding up well in most areas.

Jason,
Thanks for the link, that is a fine bull and a great story. I did miss it, I was in the mountains for a while hunting elk about that time.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »
Is there any special kind of leather used for spacers in the handles?  I like Naked in NH's osage and antler with the Veideman blade.  I was contemplating something similar with the blade and bocote I have sitting under the tree - only one more week!

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »
shawnee,
I understand your explanation perfectly and had envisioned that very way of doing it.  Couple of questions: 1) can you tell me exactly which Dremel bit you prefer?, and 2) what do you use to shape the handle/brass, etc. once it's glued up - a belt sander..file?

Thanks.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Naked in NH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
SOS- Ya, free leather- LOL.  Go to Slavenation Army and buy 2 pocketbooks for like $1 each.  Cut one up for leather and carry your stuff around in the other.  It's really popular in Germany, so it must be right.

There's one strip of leather glued between the osage and the antler on that knife.  That makes a nice even mating line there that belongs there without putting lots of effort into flattening and aligning the materials.
-pablo
making shavings in the 603

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
NativeCraft,

The one I use mostly is the #194  1/8" high speed cutter.  The bit is shaped like a small cylinder.  It seems to work really well.  They also make one about like it out of tungston carbide, and it would work well, also.  I just don't like dealing with the tiny, sharp shavings from it.  Definitely need to wear good gloves and safety glasses if you do.

To shape the handle, I usually rough it out on the bandsaw, then go to a 1" belt sander and a dremel with a drum sanding bit in it.  It could all be done with the dremel, if the other tools aren't available.

Once it is shaped, I finish sand down to 220 or 300 grit sandpaper, then usually use thin CA glue(super glue) as the finish.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »
chad,

i have no experience with making anything. how hard or easy is it to make a knife using your kits?
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »
Joe,
It really is not that difficult. You will need a drill, files, rasp. You can do it with minimal tools it just adds time. It does not have to be fancy to be a good knife, it will be special cause you made it. Antler handle is an easy way to start. There is lots of good advice here.

Many folks are surprised how nice their first attempt turns out.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »
Chad,
Just wanted to let you know I received my Harding kit yesterday.  Was I ever surprised since I ordered it midweek  :thumbsup:   I wasn't expecting it by Christmas but it sure was a nice surprise!!!

Tnanks again and have a very Merry Christmas,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Gitnadoix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »

Offline Gitnadoix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

Offline Gitnadoix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
just ordered and made another knife from a Helle blade, a Polar theis time, really like this little blade, really like their blades period. Thanks Chad for a great product and about the quickest delivery Ive had yet..

Offline Gitnadoix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/gitnadoix/DSC05181.jpg  

OK one last try then I slink off, ok it sorta works not sure why mine is a link and others show up, oh well...its a bit busy but I wanted to try several things on the first one to speed up the learning process

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Git, Very nice..

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Joe, I lost track of this thread thus no response from me. Glad you got it before Christmas, I think most folks got there orders in time but there were some delays. The busy season and weather caused a few problems.

Dean, I like the Polar too.

Scott, Good job. Looks like antler, Osage, and what?
Happy Trails,
Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©