3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ordered a Helle blade  (Read 6808 times)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ordered a Helle blade
« on: December 15, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
Put in a order for a Helle Odel blade yesterday and they said it shipped yesterday, great service. Anyone have any pics. of a Odel blade that theyve done their own handles for, would be very interested in seeing what everyone came up with.

Thanks. Dean
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ordered a Helle blade
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
Here's a couple of the ones I have done.  The first is the knife that went with one of the St. Jude's auction bows.  It has an osage/purpleheart handle, with a brass finger guard and a hand knapped bird point inlaid in the handle.

This one is one I made for my Dad for Christmas last year.  It is a walnut,antler handle, with a brass finger guard.  They are a lot of fun to make, and not that hard if you take your time.

Good luck, and be creative.  You will be happy with the results.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »
Hmmm?  I didn't know they did that.  You mean I can buy the blade and do the handle myself?

The Helle knives I have are AWESOME, but this sounds really cool.  How do I find out more about this?

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Naked in NH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
This isn't the blade, but here's a couple Helle's that I did as presents a few years ago.

The wood is osage- I should have oriented the grain the other way to strengthen that little piece next to the blade there.  Whitetail antler that I found on one and compressed leather rings that were contact cemented together first for rough shaping.  The one with the leather rings was designed as a hardcore working knife.

I put the little nubbydoo on the tang of that one- you can see that it's for a positive catch on the sheath.  Works great.

-pablo
making shavings in the 603

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
8th :  Look on the left side of Chads page and you will see them .  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
Dean :  I e-mailed you some pics.  Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »
Shawnee, Those are just plain neat looking knives. Naked, like the osage/bone handled knife. Drew sent me a pic of a really neat knife made from a turkey/leg with spur attached. Will try to download them for him later.  

Heres a pic of Drew knife, pretty neat looking.  

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »
Dean, Normally you could expect your blade today but with the Christmas mail volume it might take a bit longer.

Most orders are still arriving in 2-3 days but we have a few areas in the Midwest where it is taking longer.

Some great work here guys. The neat part is no two are alike.

Too Short, I thought you knew we had blades.

Thanks all
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »
Here's one I made a few years ago for Dianne from osage to match an osage selfbow I made for her

There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »
I think the dwarf is pulling ya'lls leg. He has to know Helle blades are available.  I wish I had the talent to haft them into the beautiful knives I see here.
Prarrie Dog

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 01:20:00 AM »
Chad, can you get the Harding kit with a handle material other than birch?

Thanks,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 02:06:00 AM »
Great blades...have some of them myself...gave some away to friends...great steel...Chad's a great guy to deal with...too short..get the short blade..no pun intended...I have 2 of them...stay sharp a long time!!

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »
Joe,
The Helle Kit comes with just birch. It is a nice piece of wood often with curly grain.

I can put a "kit" together with the blade, fittings and wood of your choice from what we have on hand. We have Helle sheaths to fit most blades, this sheath would be completed and would not need assembly. Price would depend on the items you choose.

You could also make a sheath from material you have on hand, many of our customers do that.

Mickey, that is a cool matched set. The wood looks very light colored for Osage.
Happy Trails,
Chad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
Chad, No blade yesterday, hopefully tomorrow. Nice knife Mickey..

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
Great blades!!!

This past September I used a Polar blade to skin not one, but two moose...without having to resharpen. I've got a lot of other knives I like, but none of them hold an edge half as good as a Helle.

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
Dean, Delivery times are slowing a bit, most areas are a day behind and some areas of the midwest are two days.

Jason, Moose? Did I miss one your stories? Skinning moose is a lot of work....but sweet work I guess. I heard from an Alaskan guide that gutted and skinned several moose a year. With his Helle knife he was into the third moose before it was necessary to sharpen the blade and all it needed was a quick touch up.

Of all the positive comments we get from customers "holding the edge" is the most common.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »
Shawnee,
Nice looking knives - can you tell me how you make the brass guards?
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
Native,

I started with a piece of 3/8" x 1" brass bar stock that you can get from knife making suppliers.  Cut it the length  you want, and lay out a small rectangle the size of the knife tang in the location you want the tang to go thru.

Drill holes at each end of the layout the same size as the width of the tang...on the Helle blades, 2 holes is usually enough.  If the tang is wider, drill as many holes as you need.  Now's when the hard part comes.  I use a combination of a dremel with a small grinding tool, and a couple of very small files to square out the holes and make it to where the tang will fit thru the brass.  It's not real difficult, just real time consuming if you want a good fit.

Also, some blades are not square where the tang joins the blade...some have a radius.  If they have a radius there, you will also have to dremel/file the brass so that the radius will fit inside the brass also.  I mostly use the dremel for that.  It's not real important that it is a perfect fit...only that the back of the blade fits tightly against the brass, and the hole in the brass doesn't show any more than it has to.

Once that part is done, the rest is pretty easy.  Drill a hole in your handle material and any spacer material you are using, and epoxy the whole thing together.  I also like to pin the handle thru the tang with 1/8" brass rod.  If you do that, make sure you anneal the tang where you are going to try to drill it.  If you don't, you won't be able to drill it.  I ruined about 5 drill bits on my first one trying.  I leave everything square until it's all glued up and I have the pins in, then start sanding and shaping the entire handle.  The brass will work with most woodworking equipment...I've even roughed shaped it with my bandsaw and a woodcutting blade.

Sorry this took me so long to explain.  I've been meaning to do a build-a-long, but just haven't had time lately.  Maybe after Christmas I can find time to do one and take pictures as I go along.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline Chad Edgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »
Chad at DarkTimber is A#1!  Here is a Harding blade from them that I fitted onto a peice of antler:

Here from the King's mountain view,
Here from the wild dream come true...
Treasures of flesh never few! "Jambi"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©