3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: single bevel blood trail  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
single bevel blood trail
« on: August 17, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
Going to try grizzly 150 anyone using these how good  of blood trail and i know it depends on shot .
But after a good quartering away shot !
---------Black Wolf 68"57#@28"-----------
---------TallTines  60" 52&45#@28--------

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: single bevel blood trail
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
Seen it go both ways? Lol, just seems to be what gets cut and all that jazz. I used to use the older 160s.

Course with any head I have seen meager trails and then trails a blind man could follow.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm using the same heads this year and anxious to see what the results will be like. Hopefully I get a chance to find out!
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline MEsquivel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Same here.
Sometimes no blood, sometimes a lot of blood.
You'll get two holes. Thats for sure.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by J-dog:
Seen it go both ways? Lol, just seems to be what gets cut and all that jazz. I used to use the older 160s.

Course with any head I have seen meager trails and then trails a blind man could follow.
My experience also.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
Depends on how high or low the exit is no matter the broadhead in my opinion. RC

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
My friend Michael Arnette showed me some pictures of some of his grizzly blood trails and they were very impressive
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
The single bevel broadheads do a great job, but then so does any other sharp broadhead.
When asking about blood trails with a broadhead, there are so many things to factor in that there honestly can't be a "generic" answer. Shot placement, state of the animal, all play a role in what kind of blood trail is left for us to follow.
With all that said, one big advantage of the single bevel heads is their ability to go through bone. On a deer last year, I had a Grizzly enter in a shoulder blade and exit through the lower end of the other one.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
I use single bevel Tuffheads, I have killed a mule deer and several whitetails with them. The hole stays open, and there is always an in and an out....making for great blood trails. They have always been short, however.    :bigsmyl:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
I've shot three animals with single bevel heads, two don't really count, a grouse that took one step and collapsed, a rabbit that was stuck where it was by the arrow and third, a deer that fell in sight and I didn't look for blood.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 05:15:00 AM »
I shot last year's bear with a SB Cutthroat. Could have jogged the blood trail. Like others here, I appreciate the pass throughs consistent with single bevels.

Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
I shot single beveled two blades last year, my experience was that I found dead them very polarizing. Either I had a bloody massacre for a trail, or not much of one at all. (All the shots I'm talking about would be considered very good shots.) For this reason I've switched to 3blade Woodsmans. All I've killed with them so far is pigs and turkeys, but I have been nothing short of very pleased with the blood trails. Single bevels are great heads though, don't get me wrong. They will shoot through just a about anything. Just my .02. My wife tells me that my .02 isn't worth much however lol.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by tim roberts:
The single bevel broadheads do a great job, but then so does any other sharp broadhead.
When asking about blood trails with a broadhead, there are so many things to factor in that there honestly can't be a "generic" answer. Shot placement, state of the animal, all play a role in what kind of blood trail is left for us to follow.
With all that said, one big advantage of the single bevel heads is their ability to go through bone. On a deer last year, I had a Grizzly enter in a shoulder blade and exit through the lower end of the other one.
Thanks,
What he said^^^^^^^^!

Bisch

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
A cut is a cut.  Depends on what is cut, not what made it.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
What J-dog, MEsquiel, Tim Roberts, Micheal Arnette, and old_goat2 said.

Also I have not needed a blood trail on the last three animals I have shot they fell in site.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
I haven't killed enough with them to make a judgement.One antelope ran full tilt and was down in 40 yds,no blood on the ground but cavity full.One was liver shot,took a couple bounds,walked a little,laid down and went to sleep,35 yds total.Only blood in the bed and body cavity.The would channel was 2" wide but entrance and exit were more the size of the broadhead.There was a black bear had one lung and liver hit,went 75 yds,let out a death moan and it had a moderate blood trail on the latter half.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Similar experiences here.  2 moose, bull elk, deer and a javelina all died in sight.  Had to track a hog and another javelina a short distance.  

We all know the 'secret' to a good blood trail.  A hit in the lower 1/4 to 1/3 of the body cavity with an entrance and and exit that cut through vital organs.  Single, double or triple blades make little difference if put in the correct spot.  

When things go wrong I want a head I can count on and my Kodiaks can be trusted.  Last fall I made a marginal hit on a bull elk - hit it in the ulna bone about 3-4 inches from the knuckle.  Many heads wouldn't have survived that bone by mine not only survived but took a divot out of the bone and proceeded to continue on into the heart.  

I shoot single bevel Grizzly Kodiaks because they are a darn tough broadhead with a proven track record AND they fly great.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
Ridiculously good if they are real sharp

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I have had great blood trails and not so great blood trails. I always say that no broadhead will guarantee a good blood trail. But this is the main reason why I shoot single bevel Grizzly Kodiaks.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=142335#000000
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©