3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking at a recurve  (Read 628 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking at a recurve
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:57:00 AM »
I've primarily always shot longbows. I'm getting a itch to try a recurve. Will consider a one piece it will be used for 3-D and hunting. I draw my longbow at just over 29". I am really looking for a three piece. So many choices with not much experience shooting recurves. So help me out models, riser lengths and limb lengths. Pros and cons of the different lengths of riser and limbs.

Basically what are you shooting and why. What do you like about it and dislike about your recurve?

Give me your opinions on bows that you prefer. If you can share a picture of your bow that would be great. Looking for options. Also some hunting will be in a stand or blind but also stalking.
USMC 82-86

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking at a recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
Personally I do not find much difference between the longbow or recurve.  I shoot a 60 Kodiak, 68 Grizzly and a  59 Kodiak Replica.

I have shot many others as well and think as as long as the bow fits you, you will be fine.  I like the Kodiak and the Kodiak replica because the grips are pretty similar to my long bows.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 06:51:00 AM »
I will add that I have shot Many other recurves and they were nice.

Since you are looking for a  3 piece, I will say I was pretty impressed with the Big Jim 3 piece Recurve and Also Stalker's performance.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
I love bear curves
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
What bout the bear take down? I've never shot one myself but I hear it's about the best take down system there is. Only 3pc recurve I've shot was a black widow pch but I'm not exactly a widow fan. To me they are over priced for what they are and they ain't inherently quiet. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong lol

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Of all the 3 piece TDs I have owned, I have one left--one of the new Bear TDs.  Fred knew what he was doing on that one.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
The only 3 piece recurve I ever owned was a Keith Chastain Wapiti. That was a very fast and hard hitting bow. I wish I had one like it in the low to mid 50's instead of the 63# it pulled. I have shot vintage Bear curves the last several years out of nostalgia.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
We are a funny bunch. I am trying to switch to the longbow. I have been shooting recurves for a very long time. I have had some good ones. Blacktail, Tall Tines, Kota,Bear, Shakespeare, Cheetah amount them. They were all good. Mostly it
is all about the grip for me.

I think the longbow is generally quieter. I think it may be faster to shoot accurately for me.  

The recurve, Especially three piece bows
Are easier on my shoulder, due mostly to weight. I tend to be a little slower in shooting recurves.

My Tall Tines 55# recurve is faster than my 54# Rampart, but the Rampart is an enjoyable bow to shoot as well.
Good luck and take your time,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
When you say longbow, are you talking Hill style, R/D hybrid style, or what?  I have a R/D longbow and several older recurves.  I find it pretty easy to swap from one to another.  I've never shot a Hill style, but it may be a tougher swap from one of those because of the greater difference in the feel.  I personally don't care for 3 piece bows because of the weight.  The only reason I could see getting one would be if I traveled with it a lot.  Having said that, there are a few companies that build takedowns that have pretty short and slim risers compared to the few takedowns I've shot.  I might like one of them if I ever tried one.  There's a 53# Hornes TD on rmsgear.com right now that might fit in that category.  It may have a more similar feel to a longbows ham most recurves.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
Lots of good TD recurves out there.  I've come to really like Bear TDs.  Greater choice and availability of riser and limb length combinations than any other takedown.

For a 29-inch draw, I'd recommend a bow in the 60-64-inch length range.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
I've never shot a Bear take-down, but currently own a Blacktail and an RER 3-piece. My advice would be to hold off just a bit until you can get to a large shoot, or LARGE dealer who would have a variety you could try. Everyone seems to have his own preference. Shouldn't be too big a trick in CA, unless the fires get in the way.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
If I did the takedown I would choose the shortest riser then whatever size limbs to make the length you want. The no tool system is sweet.

The 59 kodiak is to me, one of the best feeling bows. I dont know why I dont have one.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Depending the type of longbow you shoot, you may not notice any difference. My hybrid longbow pretty much has the same handle as the recurve I own.
Other than the weight difference, I think they shoot identical

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
As far as working curve designs I would suggest at least a 60" bow if going with a shorter riser say 16" and at least a 62" bow if going with a 18 or 19" riser. Some semi forward handle 3pc bows like Bob Lees 60" would be fine.  Static tip 3pc designs you would probably be comfortable with a 58" short riser 3pc if you wanted to go shorter.  

My personal recommendations would be to check out 3pc offerings from Stalker, Wes Wallace, Bob Lee, Schafer ...and Blacktail (especially if budget is not a major constraint.  Blacktails are just awesome)  Big Jim also makes a sweet 3pc curve if you want a more longbow style riser.  And then there's offerings from Dryad, Black River Bows (a new discovery for me), and the list goes on...
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Check out Stalker Recurves . South Cox is top notch and has some great looking stock bows.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
Bob Lee.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Black Widow, something to think about   :goldtooth:
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
I don't spend much time with recurves, but I have a 58" Red Wing Hunter that I like. The old gent I bought from said he got it new in 1959. If vintage is the way you want to go, this or some of the old Bear types would be solid choices. For newer stuff, a Black Widow is hard to beat. I have never owned a Widow but have shot a bunch. If I were to leave the longbow, these are the paths I would explore.
Sam

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
I shoot a lot of different recurves , one piece, 2 piece, 3 piece,  short, long, every decades starting with the 1950's, etc., and if I had to keep just one, I'd keep the Dryad Orion.
Straightforward, not too heavy, shoots where I point and pretty darn fast, and its seems like other folks can shoot it okay, too.  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=90;t=000600

Plus you can also shoot their wicked fast acs carbon longbow limbs with the same riser.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
I own 2 Widow takedowns and they are both whisper quiet !! They can be made that way with the right string and silencers !! I bought one new and will agree they are expensive, but worth every dime on my opion. The other i picked up second hand and very reasonable... i also own a Bear takedown and will say it is one of the finest takedown bows,i have ever owned.... the choice is,yours my friend  !!!
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©