3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cutting Osage  (Read 367 times)

Offline Ken Carter

• Trad Bowhunter
Cutting Osage
« on: August 18, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
I had a large oak tree blow over and knock down two straight Osage trees that are 4-5 inches in diameter.  If I cut out part of the trunks for later do I need to split them or can I just seal the ends?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutting Osage
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
split them now before they check and seal the ends.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
2x what Mike said.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
In addition to following Mike's advice, you may want to tightly lash the the log splits to a straight 2X4 or similar. In my experience the smaller diameter trees tend to twist a bit more than I like when drying. It may save you a bit of adjustment work later on.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
If you leave the bark on be sure to treat the bark with an insecticide to eliminate borers. If you remove the bark also remove the sapwood and seal the back well. If you remove the bark ad leave the sapwood intact it will check even if sealed sometimes.
 It is a lot easier to remove the bark and sapwood while it is green but be sure to seal the back as soon as it is exposed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ken Carter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the help.  Hadn't thought about the bark or twisting.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
I let it twist, then straighten it back out with heat during the bow building process.  I put it on a caul and heat temper the belly once when the blank is rough, and again after final tillering.  This makes it straight and stabilizes the wood resisting it from moisture and stress later in life.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
To me it's a lot easier and I get better results if I control the twist and backset while drying than if I have to remove the twists and lateral bends later. Once dry you can induce reflex, recurves or slightly reflexed tips or remove twists with dry heat. I've started tempering the belly of all my bows as the last thing I do on the caul.Some say osage isn't a good candidate for belly tempering but I think it helps and it definitely doesn't hurt...but be sure the tempering is only on the belly and doesn't overlap to the back.
  Also, be sure the back is sealed well, even after the stave is dry. I've has 10 year old staves check when heat was introduced for straightening, bending or tempering. Shellac is what I use. I keep a spray can on my workbench all the time.
 Spray shellac is a bit more expensive than other types but for as little as you use for an application in normal bow building it is very convenient to just do a quick spray when needed. Shellac can be easily removed when needed with a light sanding or a wipe of alcohol but it can be left on and most finishes can be added over it. If you want to dye or stain the wood you will have to remove the shellac.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©