3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ready the hunting season?  (Read 722 times)

Offline JoeMcClane

• Trad Bowhunter
Ready the hunting season?
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
It's hard to believe that we are only one month out from archery season for whitetail in Texas... I'm not even close to being ready.  I just produced a short video on my YouTube channel about how I change up my practice routines to prepare for the season.

I get more intentional
I start to practice specific situations
I tune my bow and arrow set up.
etc. etc.

What do you do?

Watch the video here -    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OroEagBxjXQ&list=PL82hFh6VjVx91hJFa7bByXK3A8-4Rvylq
Joe McClane
1 Cor. 10:31

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ready the hunting season?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang .
Our season in Michigan starts October 1st .
I keep a couple Bows set up all year so all I have to do is keep myself shooting and scout out where I'm going to sit .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:47:00 AM »
Tomorrow!   :bigsmyl:
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
We start in September. I finally got my food plot planted, and the peas are sprouting. I was worried about getting enough rain, but as of the last 3 days, I am concerned about too much rain.

As for shooting, I need more work. My shoulder is still not 100%, even though my surgery was back in February. At least now I can shoot my hunting weight bows 25 or 30 times before fatigue sets in.

I have checked all but one of my stands, but the rain caught me yesterday before I could check the last one. It is raining heavily right now, so I will check that one tomorrow. Basically, I am good to go if the accuracy holds up. Now to check clothes and personal gear, along with touching up the broad heads that tasted no blood last year.
Sam

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
I thought I was ready... until I partially (?) tore the MCL in my left knee (my good one) about ten days ago - I still need crutches to do certain things.

I'm going moose hunting no matter what though - worse case scenario, I invite a young guy that wants to learn, LOL!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Pretty close.  I have my gear mostly picked and ready.  My shooting has taken a bit of a curve just lately, but I am working on it.  At 15 yards I don't seem to miss a kill zone, so of that I am not worried.  Again this year, I plan to hunt from the ground in my ghillie suit if at all possible.
ChuckC

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
:coffee:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Next Saturday.  My shooting has been a little inconsistent the past few weeks.  I'm probably over thinking it out of anticipation.  

But, pretty much ready to go otherwise.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 11:14:00 PM »
Early bear opens here September 17th & deer September 27rh. Have to sharpen some BHs but otherwise fairly ready. Good luck to all & have a safe & productive season.

Offline Saguache

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 01:17:00 AM »
Monterey, next weekend starts it for me as well, I'm ready to shoot one but not yet ready to camp, hope I can get it all ready tomorrow as I'm travelling Monday -Friday and plan to go out for a 5 day weekend to start the season. Good luck all!

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:52:00 PM »
Hey Joe, nice to see you here. I really enjoy your videos!

hmm aside from gear prep and shooting practice the biggest part for me is scouting the area. Finding out where the animals sleep, where they drink, what paths they take, ect.

I guess general scouting.  I also move away from the target and start to do more roving or stump shooting, whatever you want to call it.

I make situations in my head like you were talking about, and play out the shot like a real hunt. threading arrows between gaps and trees, shooting over hills and around rocks. I try to imagine the thrill and pump myself up as much as I can. then take the shot.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »
Just got done putting most of my gear and clothes together. Hunting deer and elk starting next weekend.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
I'm no where even close to ready
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
I'm no where even close to ready
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
Well, I got my final stand checked out, and they are all ready to go. My peas are up about 3 or 4" high, and I already see a lot of deer tracks. The excitement is beginning to build. Here comes September! I still have trouble thinking about sitting on the stand with sweat dripping off my nose and the temperature in the mid 90's.

It was better when archery season started in October and rifle season began in November!
Sam

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Have assumed a lot of elder care responsibility this Summer.  Have not had time to do normal scouting and early prep for locating blinds.  All I can say is I've kept my shooting eye sharp in case I get lucky.
Jim

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
I do my scouting in late winter and spring every year. I started putting out cams in July and taking morning walks with the pack and my bow with judo's and shooting road side hay bales (I know who's they are) stumps and other targets. Good way to get in shape both ways      :archer2:    

Bucks are getting ready to start shedding around the first of September and I'm fired up, my old buddy Guru is coming down from NY to hunt during the rut. Only thing left to do is to get 5 blinds out were they belong.

Here's 3 of the good ones I'm watching to fire you up.

Good luck this year!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
Like Tracy, My scouting has been done since last winter.  I have taken walks to those areas to confirm what I found in winter and to make sure they were not clear cut on me like last year.

Its all public land so I carry the stand in and out.  Its new areas so I will fine tune a  specific tree if needed once I determine specific patterns.

I have been daydreaming more and more of my time in the woods.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Almost. Moved into a new house in June so its been crazy.After this weekend I'll say I'm ready.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
K.S. Trapper, yep those pictures surely do get me fired up! I hope that camera is close to one of your stands.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©