3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who uses just 2 feathers  (Read 702 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who uses just 2 feathers
« on: August 20, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
Somebody had a post and I can't find it. I want to try just 2 feathers and I know someone on here does that.......any help out there? Thanks ahead of time........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who uses just 2 feathers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
Joel Turner does, I made up one once, flew good until you plucked the shot then it wasn't near as forgiving. All you do is put arrow in jig, adhere feather, take arrow out of jig and turn 180°, put back in jig and adhere another feather. As far as nock orientation goes I had the fletch at a 45° angle to the string so the feather is sloping down away from the strike plate when you nock the arrow, don't know if that is optimum way to do it, but that's what I did!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
I have used 2 fletch off and on for the last few years Ron.  The effectiveness is very much related to arrow weight/speed. I only shoot wood, but have noticed that once my arrows get above 11.5 gpp of arrow weight, I really like to have that third feather.  On POC, Sitka Spruce, lighter weight Douglas Fir, things go pretty well.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
I know Jim Neaves of Centaur archery does. I remember the post  as well.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
Some indigenous folks have been using this style for a long time.  

Not sure Ron, but I am thinking (out loud) that it depends on what you want out of the system.  For close shots, two larger feathers likely work well.  I experimented and found this to be true.  

For longer shots, maybe three feathers would be better.... more aerodynamic, more bite for spin, less superfluous feather for less noise.

Gotta try it and see what works.  They sure do stack better in a quiver !
ChuckC   :archer:

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
If your arrows shoot well bare shaft there should be no problem using 2 fletch.
 The fletching on an arrow is used for stearage and stability by adding drag to the rear of the arrow and imparting spin. Ideally you want to use the least amount of fletch as you can get by with and still get good arrow flight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
I just saw a picture of Joel Turner shooting 4 fletch with maybe 2" feathers. I shoot three 4" feathers.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
I just got a deal on some big 5" Bananna cut feathers and thought I might try it on some cedars.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
I did some up recently with 2 x 5" shield feathers. Flew just as good as the ones I did 3 x 4" and 4 x 4" (Boredom and Curiosity). Same shafts and the bare shafts flew great at 25 yards. Shot them out to 40 yards and no funny flight. It's all about the tune.

Plus people look at you funny when you only got 2 feathers at 3D shoots.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline Westkyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
I've been shooting two fletch well over a year now. Two 5" or two 4" shields on river cane and carbon with zero issues. I'm about to fletch up some spruce shafts i made from a board that way as well. I've tried the big heads with them too. Tree sharks, MA 1's and deltas as well as the 150gr screw in snuffers. Regardless whether broadheads or field points i love the way they shoot. I don't plan on changing any time soon. They fly perfect for me, they're cheaper to do and they lay in a quiver much better without any damage or noise. I can't tell the difference in a bad release with two fletch vs three fletch but they do seem to shoot better in a crosswind than a three fletch.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »
I started switching over to two feathers last year, totally impressed!

For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
Good reminder post, I have been wanting to try this.
    Especially for Beaver hunting, Arrows don't last a long time with those pesky Beavers
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone.......   :thumbsup:

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
About 10 years ago I was playing with various shafting materials, fletching, etc. On one occasion I fletched a dog fennel shaft with 2 fletches to see how durable a weed could be. Amazingly, it lasted for the 20 target tournament and then shot through a raccoon months later.

Two fletch will work well most of the time. It is less forgiving if you are not tuned properly, or if you get a bad release. Any damage to one of the feathers will show up quicker then if you have 3 or 4 feathers.

Good luck ron w.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
I used two fletch last year.  I had my bare shafts flying like darts, but the only feathers I had were 5" and the feather was hitting the shelf when I fletched one to try out, causing the arrow to kick a little.  I two fletched one and it flew perfectly.  This year, I went to three shorter feathers and it apparently has time for the arrow to flex a little more before the feather reaches the shelf.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
Here are some I made up a while ago, Ron:

The red ones I showed you fly pretty well, too.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  I'm going to make a few today to try them out.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
Let us know how they fly, Ron.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
I do, but only until I get around to re-flectching?
Jim

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
My primitive cane shafts are two fletched and they fly great. Ryan Gill made them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©