3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Inconsistent Bear TD limb length?  (Read 293 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Inconsistent Bear TD limb length?
« on: August 20, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
I put this query on the collector's forum, but didn't get any responses so thought I would try it here.  

I have several sets of Bear No.1 red and white tip limbs, from the 70s, I'm guessing. They're all pretty much the same length, but there is up to 1/8 inch variability in where the nocks are cut measured from the base of the limbs. Not enough to worry about, a few twists of the string one way or the other, and I can usually switch the limbs around to different risers with little trouble.

I've recently acquired two different sets of No. 1 newer limbs, probably made in the past 1 to 5 years. They have red and black laminated tips and black action wood wedges. Those limbs are are cut 1/2 to 5/8 inches shorter than my older limbs, and take a string about an inch and a half shorter than my old limbs, about 55 1/2 inches compared to about 57 inches, plus or minus a little, for my older No. 1 limbs (60-inch bow on a B riser).

In terms of tolerances, that's pretty far off. Did Bear just make some bad limbs? Did they change the specs for some reason? They shot OK, but I passed those limbs along because I didn't want to bother with another two string lengths for my A and B risers. Have any of you found this length discrepancy between older and new limbs?

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Inconsistent Bear TD limb length?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
To be honest I never paid attention. Each set I have has it's own string, when I replace I set them to my BH and recheck after first shooting session.
Now you got me wondering

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
Probably adjusted limb length to conform to ATA standard lengths.  Sounds like the new limbs are for a 58" bow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
I know they redesigned the limbs back in 2011 when Bear got really serious about trad stuff.  The limbs have narrow tapers and the new design may have altered the string length required.
Lon Scott

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Mike.  No. 1s are supposed to make a 56-inch bow on an A riser and a 60-inch bow on a B riser.  Just taking the B combination as an example, the string would be 57 inches to conform to ATA standards. That's pretty much the length my old limbs take.  The new limbs require a 55 1/2-inch string. Agreed, that would be closer to a 58-inch bow on a B riser, but Bear has never made that combination before. (Of course, No.2 limbs on an A riser make a 58-inch bow.) Regardless, Bear is advertising the No. 1 limbs as making a 60-inch bow on a B riser.

Blackhawk, when I lay a new limb on top of an old limb, it has exactly the same curvature. It does taper a very little finer toward the tip.  However, the ends are just 1/2 to 5/8 inches shorter, and thus, the nocks are cut that much lower as well.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
I've seen this not infrequently on Bear risers and limbs. Even seen new limbs fail to fit early risers. A 60" bow with an A riser requires a different string that a 60" with a B riser. They are hand made and depending on the person cutting in the limb nocks, you will get some variation. This, even with "custom" bowyers.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
Agree, Rick, some variation.  My older limbs show this-- just less than an eight of an inch or so difference among them, but I'm talking 1/2 to 5/8 inch difference from the old to the new No. 1 limbs.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
I must be getting soft in my old age...I was going to make another comparison between Bear Archery of the Grayling era and the current operation...but I decided to let the facts speak for themselves...Grayling Bear prices are at an all time low right now so I am up to 17 of those great old bows

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
Oops...16 Grayling Bears and one lonely Gainesville one that somehow snuck into the mix

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©