3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hot melt trouble  (Read 935 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
hot melt trouble
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
im having some trouble with the hot melt from 3 rivers, the insert dosent seem to get alot of glue on it and seems to fall out easily especially if stuck in something
aim small miss small

Re: hot melt trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Get the Quick Stick hot melt from Big Jim's Bow Company and you will not have those issues anymore!

Sorry, I don't know anything about the 3Rivers hot melt.

Bisch

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Sounds as though you're not getting the shaft interior clean and getting enough glue on the insert before installing. I always make sure there is enough glue on the insert that it squeezes out when the insert is seated. The excess can then be cleaned off without much effort.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
i use plenty of it on the insert, it seems when i insert all the glue come off the insert and out around the shaft
aim small miss small

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
Clean insert and broadhead or point.  Then clean again!  Use plenty of glue.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
What kind/brand of glue exactly?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
i dont know i got the stickd from 3 rivers, the stuff is junk already had 3 inserts pull out today with there garbage
aim small miss small

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Many people that have trouble with hot melt glue for inserts, opt for epoxy instead. But once they are in, there is about no getting them out.

Ive always had good luck with hot melt for arrow inserts on aluminum. You are using aluminum arrows right?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
no i am using carbon, i heard people use it on carbon as well? if not what else is a good product?
aim small miss small

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Carbons are not my forte. Someone else will have to help you on that one. Ive only delt much with woods and aluminums.  I wouldnt think hot melt and carbons would be a good match, especially for the lesser experienced. Not saying thats you or thats a bad thing. idk your experience level.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Get the Quick Stick hot melt from Big Jim's Bow Company and you will not have those issues anymore!

Sorry, I don't know anything about the 3Rivers hot melt.

Bisch
X2

Ferrel tite gets too brittle. I lost a lot of points with it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Big Jims hot melt works great for me on carbons.
Never had one pull out.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
Still can't figure out why you're having trouble. Especially since you say you're using plenty of hot melt on the inserts. To reiterate, make sure the inside of the shaft is clean as well as the insert itself. They only thing I can add is make sure the hot melt is hot enough when you put the insert in. I have a feeling it's a little too cool to bond well with the shaft. I always have cold water running so I can cool the shaft quickly after placing the insert. Have never had any shaft compromise due to the heat of the hot melt.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but I really like Big Jim's hot melt over the hardware store types I've used. The glue really has to flow down into all the crevices of the insert. To do that with the usual hot melt, I have to get the insert way too hot for my carbon shaft. Big Jim's low temp glue melts and flows at a very low temp. I have no fear of weakening the carbon shaft and it seems to remain both sticky and flexible much better than anything else I've tried. I want to see the insert completely covered, especially the rear, and all the grooves, knurling, whatever is used on the insert to provide a mechanical grip, completely filled. That way, when it is inserted, there is complete glue contact with the shaft and insert. The temp is so low, I can touch the insert or shaft immediately after insertion and it is not overly hot.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
A carbon shooter here uses a dab of Gorilla Glue, the one that is water activated.  That stuff swells as it dries.  He says that if you get on it with a pliers it can be broken free.  I used it on a couple of Microflites, I shot a couple of broad heads into a deer target, seems to hold good on fiberglass.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 11:13:00 AM »
i use superglue the one with the impact resistant mix on the inserts for my carbon. or i use the AAE insert glue. i can get them back out... sometimes if i use a steel ramrod to bust them free. i only use hot glue for my broadheads and adapters. and with the broadheads i rough up the insides with rough grit sand paper or my dremmel.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Fan of good old hardware glue hot melt here.

I have used it for years.  I don't clean the insert or inside of the arrow before installing point.  

I do make sure to apply to hot melt Liberally, to the point that I have a fair amount to remove once the insert is seated.....and the glue is cool enough to touch.  I also make sure that the butt tip of the insert gets a big dab of glue before being inserted, not just the sides of the insert.

I regularly hit a hardwood fence that I constructed   :banghead:   , due to shooting in a subdivision, and bury the 145 grain field points in the wood.  Can't remember the last time I had a tip come loose or out.  Rock solid.

Offline Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Definitely concur with the above suggestions to use the hot melt sticks from Big Jim's. I bought two sticks, cut them in half and will likely have enough hot melt glue for inserts for the rest of my life! They are long sticks!

One note...his website mentions using them in a glue gun. I do not recommend this and have not had good success with this method. It seems that by the time you get the glue evenly on the insert with the glue gun it has already begun to harden and you need to go the flame. If I have to go to a flame, I might as well just start there.

Just buy the stuff, clean the inside of the shaft and forget about this problem from here on out, good luck!
Dale Dye Trails End 60" 55#@28"
Dale Dye Medicine Point 58” 53#@28"
Schafer Silvertip 60" 55#@28"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 60" 51#@28"

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
Make sure after you scuff the insert and inside of the shaft that you wipe it clean with denatured alcohol. I use a Q-tip (cotton swab) for the ID of the arrow shaft.
I made the mistake of using Super Glue gel on my Zwickey's (woodies) and three of them are still stuck in my 3D target somewhere....
Aim small,miss small

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Never any problems with BigJim's quick stick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©