3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow to Recurve frustrations  (Read 731 times)

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow to Recurve frustrations
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
A journey that has been exhausting and I need some advice. First year of trad shooting I picked up a used Caribow Featherhorn. Learned my form from The legendary Tom Clum  :)  shot really really well with it but for whatever reason figured I'd move on to a recurve the following year. Sold the Featherhorn and picked up a Toelke Chinook, that thing was smooth as ever and shot insanely fast. BUT, I went from consistant shooting to all over the dang place, and the finger pinch of a 58" bow on my 31" draw was horrible... Lesson learned. Nothing below 62" length for me.

I sold the chinook and bought a brand new Caribow Peregrine 2 weeks before hunting season and instantly shot lights out. Never had more confidence in a bow, it felt so natural and precise.

This new peregrine developed white spots along the top and bottom limb. I sent a photo to Abe 4-5 months after I noticed and he said it was dangerous to shoot and he'd replace it, although it would take an undertermined amount to time, handful of months or more... I had hunting season coming up and it's my only bow.

I take a chance and have him send me a Tuktu EX as a replacement... Have had it for a few months and my shooting has gone south in a huge way, just like when I had the Chinook. I've been dedicated to shooting it every day and keeping my form tight. Pie plate groups at 50 yards with my longbows are now what I shoot 15-20 yards with the recurve, where I could hit a silver dollars before.

I'm not sure if it's the fatter grip? The fact that the shelf is a good 3/4" to an inch higher than the top of my hand compared to the Peregrine... Or there's just something very unforgiving about a recurve. Any thoughts? Is there such thing as "hey, I'm just a longbow kinda guy."?

Then I picked up another used Peregrine but it was 74# at my draw length, Abe said he could drop the weight for me so I sent it and somehow when he was working on it, it was damaged beyond repair... The bow that I thought could be this seasons saving grace is no-more and he won't replace it with a stock bow at a price that I can afford.

Four days out from elk and mule deer season and I'm straight terrified to bring the Tuktu... Seriously considering shooting my dangerous "about to bow up" Peregrine just so I know I don't would an animal. Any first hand experience with a bow breaking?

Also... I'm thinking I'll sign up for Tradgang classifieds to try and sell or trade this tuktu for another Peregrine.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow to Recurve frustrations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
I think some people usually shoot one better than the other. I know some are such good shooters it doesn't matter what they pick up. I don't know the whole story about the bow that he was going to drop the weight on and I don't know the bowyer but it seems to me that if the bow was damaged while in his possession then it should be replaced. Assuming there was no damage before hand. But again I don't know all the details

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
DAng,

Head down to see the Clums.  I'm sure they have a bow in the shop that you will shoot better then what you have.  Don't limit yourself to one bowyer.  Especially if you're not shooting well.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
The grip can make a huge difference to some. Try changing how yo hold the bow, where you put your fingers, though you probably have.  The higher shelf height could be affecting you, as it would change you r hand to eye to arrow tip angles. Too bad yo are so far away.  I have a whip you could try if you were closer.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by maineac:
The grip can make a huge difference to some. Try changing how yo hold the bow, where you put your fingers, though you probably have.  The higher shelf height could be affecting you, as it would change you r hand to eye to arrow tip angles. Too bad yo are so far away.  I have a whip you could try if you were closer.
Yeah I have a feeling it's coming down to the grip. I just can't seem to get comfortable with it. I've tried many different ways of holding it but the thin grip of the longbow with thumb indicator was always perfect.

I actually went up to Dan Toelkes shop a couple weeks ago and shot some whips, although in the 40# range which was weird to shoot, BUT I loved the bow. Felt just like the peregrine so that's actually on my list as well. And Dan was an amazing host, he and Jared were super nice to deal with and me and my brother got some time getting schooled by Dan  :)
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
My Tuktu EX has a thin grip with a thumbrest...how is yours set up Jarrod?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
My Tuktu EX has a thin grip with a thumbrest...how is yours set up Jarrod?

DDave
It's much fatter face and girth, it does have the thumb locator, throat is almost as thin as my peregrine. It's a weird transition
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
DAng,

Head down to see the Clums.  I'm sure they have a bow in the shop that you will shoot better then what you have.  Don't limit yourself to one bowyer.  Especially if you're not shooting well.

Mike
If someone knows how to shoot ,he knows . New bow or new bowyer wouldn't change anything expect spending money .

Spend some time with your bow , try to understand what you doing .
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowfanatik:

Originally posted by wingnut:
DAng,

Mike
If someone knows how to shoot ,he knows . New bow or new bowyer wouldn't change anything expect spending money .

Spend some time with your bow , try to understand what you doing . [/b]
Exactly why I'm frustrated. I've spent time, should I spend years with it? I've filmed myself in slow motion.

I've shot a couple thousand arrows through this recurve. I'm stubborn as all hell and don't want to give up. I know when I'm giving a bad release, or not expanding, or torquing the grip. I'm in tune  enough to know when My mind isn't focused on sending a perfect shot.

I can shoot "good enough" with this bow but I'm used to trailing close behind compound shooters on 3D courses... What's sending me over the edge is shooting the last couple days with my busted longbow and shooting like its my long lost friend.

I've shot through so many different bows at RMSgear that I know for sure there are bows that fit and bows that don't. I've exhausted my efforts with recurves.

For me these r/d longbows are like throwing a fastball and recurves feel like I'm throwing a change-up. Just doesn't feel right and I'm not as accurate.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Through some PMs and now focusing on my grip I really do struggle with consistency on fat grip where as the smaller slim grips always set in the same spot... And feel precise rather than clunky.

Haha sorry trying to put words to what I'm sensing is difficult.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
I have the same Issues with flat wide grips. I shoot ok one day and it's like I'm shooting left handed the next. Yes you can overcome it, but why waste all the time and effort when you know what you like and have confidence in. I would put a wanted ad in the classifieds if it were me. Just my 2 cents.
John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
I have your experience. I love a recurve and thought I was doing ok. I picked up a thin grip longbow and boom. Way better instantly. I like the look of recurve better. I like the curved limbs. However it is longbow all the way for me.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »
I've had the same experience, but going in reverse.  I shoot recurves very well and struggle for a while when I switch to a longbow.  Here's the tip that has helped me.  Hope it can work for you as well.

Most longbows, have grips that encourage a 'low wrist' grip.  For me, this means I can definitely feel pressure on the heel of my thumb.  Many recurves have grips that encourage a medium to high wrist grip.  For me this means much less pressure on the base of the thumb.

When I use my medium to high wrist grip for recurves on a longbow, I don't shoot well.  When I use my low wrist grip for a longbow on a recurve, I don't shoot well.

You might experiment and see is this is what is happening to you.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
Hmmm...Sounds like you have been through ha bunch of bows in a short amount of time.   :readit:

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
I've had the same experience, but going in reverse.  I shoot recurves very well and struggle for a while when I switch to a longbow.  Here's the tip that has helped me.  Hope it can work for you as well.

Most longbows, have grips that encourage a 'low wrist' grip.  For me, this means I can definitely feel pressure on the heel of my thumb.  Many recurves have grips that encourage a medium to high wrist grip.  For me this means much less pressure on the base of the thumb.

When I use my medium to high wrist grip for recurves on a longbow, I don't shoot well.  When I use my low wrist grip for a longbow on a recurve, I don't shoot well.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
Sell the Tuktu and have Dan Toelke build you the bow of your dreams.  He goes above and beyond taking care of his customers. Arguably my favorite bowyer.  He makes a 60" Chinook now too btw.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
Hmmm...Sounds like you have been through ha bunch of bows in a short amount of time.    :readit:  
Come on. Don't jab at me like that from a high horse. I hear your tone. I thought this place was about incouragment and information.

Longbow for a year. Dipped my toe in the water with a recurve and went back to a longbow for another year (expecting at least 5 years from i since it was $1k and from a reputable bowyer). Then because of a breaking bow I find myself with recurve so I can continue To shoot and once again realize I just like a longbow.

I'm not jumping around recklessly and blaming bows for lack of practice or skill.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Sell the Tuktu and have Dan Toelke build you the bow of your dreams.  He goes above and beyond taking care of his customers. Arguably my favorite bowyer.  He makes a 60" Chinook now too btw.
Just talked to Dan yesterday, I'll have him build me a 2 piece whip this winter.

Trying to figure stuff out with Abe as the bow I sent him to reduce become "unshootable" in the process. im loosing money and am becoming Bowless. It's been a really long process with patchy communication. I'm really hoping to have an actual replacement happen.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by george vernon:

Thanks for he tips, had another guy say the same thing. Having the pressure mostly in the top web of my hand makes it feel unstable so I keep trying to go with a low wrist like the longbow... Which that pressure must be throwing it off.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
Jarrod,

I wish I was there to watch you shoot and grip the bow. Cannot offer advise other than what has already been offered. I find, for myself, with a recurve, I grip with just my pointer finger and thumb around the bow, medium to high wrist my other fingers just rest on the grip with no pressure. For my Silver Fox I grip with my whole hand.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©