3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why did you go trad  (Read 1915 times)

Offline bagada

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why did you go trad
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
I came from a "primitive" background. Lived in the woods for 6 months 100% off grid. Plus I use "ultralight gear" when traveling/backpacking. After realizing that I can stalk up to goats within 5 ft on open plains I thought "why not just shoot them with a stick bow?". Before that I was snaring with paracord to get goats and pigs. Now I realize how effective and fun a simple bow can be. I can just walk around and shoot stuff of all sizes. AND EAT IT that day. No checking empty snares. BORING.

My girl teased me for saying "trad" as an abbreviation. I told her its 4 syllables to one. Save much more energy. Its not like when people use abbreviations that don't save any syllables just to sound "IN". You know who I mean.

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm not trad yet. I got rid of my kodiak mad after shoulder issues.i didn't need the money I just needed it out of the house as it tormented me not being able to draw it. After 7 several urs I picked up a 45 pounder and was able to comfortable shoot it. That was 2 weeks ago and it's all I can think sbout.
Is it deer season yet?

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2016, 11:48:00 PM »
I wanted to be a bowhunter.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
I like Walt's answer....best yet.

I did it because I was 15 years old and Marylu Mills...my 15 year old neighbor...liked to watch from her back porch while I shot my recurve. I thank her every year.

Offline sancoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
I was at a local outdoor shootthat was open to all (compound&traditional) . At the time I was shooting a compound in the bare bow division. Later that afternoon they had a one arrow  novelty shoot on a running coyote. After all the eliminations there was two people left , myself and a fella with a longbow. After probably6 more arrows each we finally broke tne tie. He had a perfect  heart shot and won. It looked like he was having more fun than I was and I was hooked on trying a longbow, I  found a good used one and never looked back. That was in the mid 80's. I'm 76 now and try to shoot everyday. I am still  no Robin Hood but I love it.
Diamondback venom Custom Longbow #50
Bear Montana #60
John Strunk "The Spirite #56 "
USAF 1960-1980

Psalm 118:24 “ This is the day that the lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Was all there was if you wanted to bow hunt.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Just like swamper early 70's compounds were still on the drawing board.When they came out tried one for a week sold it and never looked back.Kip

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
Started when I was a kid, hunted with a Compound from mid 70's to maybe early 80's. Saw a Bear Kodiak Hunter in a gun shop for 40 bucks and never looked back more or less. Just the purest form of hunting for me. The closeness the silence and spending time in the woods is just more satisfying with a recurve or longbow in my hand. Even stumping puts a smile on my face.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Had a Barnett Sidewinder many years ago, but never liked it. Traded it in for a Harrington & Richardson single barrel shotgun, and bought a recurve. This was over 25 years ago, and when the lower limb of my old recurve blew up two years ago I bought my Cayuga. Never looked back. I have outgrown my training wheels a long time ago. The beauty of a well build longbow beats any of those mechanical monstrosities they call bows these days. Easy choice.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Nostalgia.  

A sentimental affection for the past .... my roots back in the 60's and early 70's.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
Never had a choice. Recurves were the only bows sold.  They were the latest and greatest. Only difference now is I own a bunch of'em instead of a short heavy hunting bow and a heavy risered target bow. Like the rosewood and bubinga risers on mine.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
How many of you saw "Deliverance" as a kid and couldn't shake the image of Lewis (Burt Reynolds) with that recurve?

Image from Google Images
Aim small,miss small

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
Cool picture, I remember it well. I received my first bow in '69'. My grandparents bought it for me it was the one that came with the suction cup arrows. I was 3 yrs old then and from that point on I can't remember a time that I haven't had a bow! When I was 13 I bought a Recurve bow of hunting weight from a friend. It had a metal riser with all glass limbs that slid into pockets. I hunted with that and missed my first deer with that bow. Then somehow the limb tip got broken. In '83' I bought my first wheel bow and shot those until '91' they just never felt right and I  never killed anything with them. I finally sold the wheels and and bought a Howatt hunter then a Abbott longbow. I shot my first deer with that Abbott and I have never looked back! There is something so romantic and natural just carrying a stick bow through the wilderness. Reliability and simplicity= AWESOME      :thumbsup:        :archer2:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Started with recurve, my dad and uncle both shot recurves. When I went into Army in 1972, then got married, had kids, my bowhunting fell by the wayside. When I had time to start again, everybody around me shot compounds so I tried it too for a year.

It was OK until I started shooting my little Bear Super Mag one day. I realized how much I missed traditional bows.

So I shoot trad because it is way more fun and fulfills something inside me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
Seemed easier to hunt with.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
All there was when I started
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Gregory P. Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
All there was and stuck with it because it was what i thought archery was.
Greg

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
all there was when I started. 50 years ago. Never cared to even try a compound.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
After 22 yrs with a compound, It got too easy (2-3 per year). I wanted a challenge...and boy did I get one. I've only shot 4 deer with my recurve...and missed a few, and a longbow turkey...and missed a lot, since 2008. But so much more fun to shoot.
Gave my no longer used compound away a couple years ago.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
As I get older, I like to challenge myself more and I also like things to be simple.  With my compound I didn't really enjoy shooting it much anymore, and I had always been fascinated with recurves and longbows.  I was intimidated as well, but eventually I just decided to go for it and I'm loving it so far.  I sold my compound and I'm super excited to start my first season with a recurve.  There's just something about the history, beauty, and simplicity of it all that draws me to it that I really enjoy.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©