3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Possible bags  (Read 1544 times)

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible bags
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 06:17:00 AM »
Have been carrying one for 30 years in the deer woods.  There is a picture of the design of the ones we use in Dad's first book.  Mine finally wore out a few years ago and I took it to an Amish saddler and had him copy it, but with a two layer bottom inside to help with wear from carrying climbers (for like 30 bucks  ;)  ).  I'd recommend leather over wool if you hunt in the Midwest, unless you REALLY enjoy picking off burrs.  Look in muzzle loading catalogs for ideas.

Something else we've also found..... the simpler the better.  Lots of little pockets inside sounds like a good idea, but not practical.  One bag without inside pockets, and a small outside pocket under the flap for hunting license and small flashlight works best.

Don't get one too big... they become clumsy and you'll put too much crap inside you don't need.  It's a good idea to cut a couple sizes from cheap canvas to try out before having one fabricated from leather.

Good luck!

R

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »

Here's mine. A modified polish bread bag I believe. Has an axe loop and can carry my canteen cook kit, micro cord, GPS, firesteel etc no problem

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
Not a good photo, but this bag was made for me by Gray Wolf Woolens when Jeff Aulick(sp?) owned the company. I drew up   kind of what I wanted and he ran with it. All I use for hunting whitetails and turkeys.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »

Asbell's haversack works just fine for me!

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Didn't care for mine. The nylon strap slid all over the place on my shoulder and I found that I had to hold it in place to keep it where I wanted it. I think a leather strap with a rough bottom side would probably prevent it from moving around so much.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Great photo Gary.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
I bet he keeps his hot apple pie in there.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Well, after only a few uses of this thing I can tell you I like it, with a few reservations.  I need to learn how to work with it, just like a quiver, cause it does move a bit as I lean.  It is, however, comfy, holds my stuff out of the way as I had hoped, and... well to me it looks way cool too.

So far, the good outweighs the bad. Its a keeper, and looks great too, thanks Teresa.
ChuckC

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Thanks Paul.

Haha Rich, maybe i do!!! I love hot apple pie lol!!!

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
I have my magazine pouch from when I had to go to the rifle range, it was big enough to hold six or eight M16 magazines side by side.  It has MOLLE straps on the back, so I can put it on my belt and have what I need for a half-day hunt. It isn't big enough for a regular water bottle, just one of the small plastic ones, but it stays in place and doesn't get in the way of my back quiver.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©