3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trip to RMSGear leaves me confused  (Read 775 times)

Offline philos

• Trad Bowhunter
Trip to RMSGear leaves me confused
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Hope everyone is doing well.  I've been absent for a few months from the forums.  Trying to survive our summers here in SC and work's been challenging lately.

Anyway-I had the good fortune to be in Colorado a few weeks back and I went to Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear.  Wow!-it was almost overwhelming the amount of bows they have.  Spoke with Tom for a while-super nice guy.  All the folks there were really good to deal with

Here is the problem for me.  I have an older Bear Grizzly-which I like very much but I feel like there is a bow I could do more with.  The grip does not seem to be a great fit for me.

I looked over quite a few bows-shot quite a few as well.  I did have (and still do) some odd injury to my left hand so not the best way or time to shoot and judge bows but I might not ever get back out to a shop like RSPGear so I had to do what I could while I was there.

From all the bows I handled and shot the one that stood as my favorite was a used Toelke.  It was a short bow and had a really nice look to it but the best part was the handle/grip.  It seemed to fit perfectly in my hand.  I liked it enough to the point where I was going to buy it before I left but my schedule got off kilter and I could not go back during business hours to the shop.

Here is the where the issues start to stack up for me.  Although the Toelke was my favorite bow to hold and look at it was not the easiest to shoot.  I believe in part due to the short length and my 1 over 2 under shooting-thinking 3 under might help here but not sure.  

Since I am so new to the game here and I wondering if I should experiment with the change in shooting from 1 up 2 under to a 3 under style.  It seemed weird when I did try but as I have never done that it is to be expected.  

Also is it wrong for me to get a bow like the Toelke and   make  it work for me?  I assume being new helps in some ways and thinking that maybe I can adapt to a bow I like.  I want a shorter bow and I really like he more narrow grip of the Toelke.  

I realize this a bit subjective but I value the input and opinions here and I am hoping for some good feedback.  

I am seriously thinking of getting some coaching and perhaps going to a 2 day clinic or similar to gain good form understanding but should I do this first and then see what bow is truly best for me?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to be sure I gave as much information as I could regarding my issue.

Thanks!

philos

Re: Trip to RMSGear leaves me confused
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
If you are new, you will likely go thru a bunch of bows before you find "the one". That being said, I would never buy a bow that did not feel all the way right for me and try to "make it work for me". If the Tolke grip felt as good as you say, I would find a longer one to try to see if the extra length might be what you need to make the bow actually be the one for you!

Bisch

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
I had never seen or held a Tolke but I got one anyway. We like each other VERY much!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I've posted this here before, but I recently bought my first custom, and before I did, I THOUGHT I knew what I wanted.

But after I shot a bunch of different bows, I realized that what I thought I wanted wasn't the best bow for me.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »
What is your draw length and how long is the bow?

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
What Bisch said, X2.
Which model Toelke did you shoot, and at what length?

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
I don't do well with short bows.  Would never recommend starting with a short bow.  Maybe you could find the same model bow in a longer length, may take a while but you could keep an eye on the classifieds.
Where in SC are you located?
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
You'll probably need to try a number of used bows before you settle on a style.  

That being said, I'm a huge Toelke fan, he's probably my favorite bowyer overall (hard to say cause he's tied with about 3-4 others!).  If you loved that Toelke, you could call and talk to him, he can discuss a custom Toelke that might work for you, Dan is a great shooter himself and can likely advise which of his models would work best for you.  

Also, just call it split finger, the one over two under/ three under thing makes my head hurt.  LOL.  I'm teasing fyi.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with a Teolke. I would assume you were shooting a shorter model and if you go to a 58-60" bow you'll shoot it better. That being said I haven't found a grip that matches my TallTines. I'd give Brian a call you won't be sorry.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm envious of anyone who has picked up a new bow and shot "lights out" with it from the very first arrow. I'm sure there are some of you out there but as for me, that has never happened. That being said, I do think you can "make" a bow work for you, especially if the grip feels right. Like getting a new pair of boots. They feel "good" right off the bat but after a little breaking in, they feel great.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Going to 3 under won't help.

Everyone wants a short bow but very few do better with them. In reality, you are going to have to go thru the cycle that 95% of traditional shooters go thru w/regard to the short bow...its been going on since guys started shooting stickbows    :archer:

I decided I'm not a good enough archer to shoot a short bow and have found that longer is better in just about every way for ME.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
Either the bow fits you perfectly,and that is rare, or you learn what the bow likes. sort of like a new girlfriend. in the end you will either love her or you'll get rid of her... at least with a bow you can sell it to some one else.

Quality though helps every part of this process.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
I recently bought a used Toelke Whip 66" long and has a super wide grip. Now I don't want to shoot my other bows. I have some issues with my thumb and a narrow grip causes pain. You could have one built to suit your needs
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
I was down there last weekend and shot that exact bow. Had someone's name on it. It was very short a kestrel (now a troll)!i believe. It was so short I was actually hesitant to draw it. But it did just fine for me and I shoot 3 under. Could have been tillered as such.  Short bows don't work for everyone. That grip is great. You could have the Toelke's make one just a bit longer for you and tillered split.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
If it was a Kestrel you shot, you might find a Chinook to be about perfect.

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
Dan makes some great bows. I have a whip and its a super bow. If I were you and liked the feel of the tolke I would talk to Dan. He should be able to guide you in the right direction.

Offline philos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks so much for all the feedback.  My draw is 28" so a super short bow may not be the best way to go for now.  I'll call the Toelke guys and discuss with them and see if a bit longer bow might be the answer.  I handled and shot a bunch of bows that day and the Toelke stood out as the best feeling bow by far but again my idea of best feeling might be a off.

I am going to try and visit a club or group near me.  Will be a challenge -it seems- given my location but I did see where there is a group not too far away.  Carolina Traditional Archery - they are about 3 hours away.

Thanks again for the feedback.  Really nice group of folks we have here.  I look forward to getting going it the right direction soon.

Offline philos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matty:
I was down there last weekend and shot that exact bow. Had someone's name on it. It was very short a kestrel (now a troll)!i believe. It was so short I was actually hesitant to draw it. But it did just fine for me and I shoot 3 under. Could have been tillered as such.  Short bows don't work for everyone. That grip is great. You could have the Toelke's make one just a bit longer for you and tillered split.
Matty-that might still have my name on it-it was 52 inches I believe

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Call Dan.  You will be pleased.  Wish I got my Toelke first.  Would have saved me a whole lot of time and money.  I love my whip!!!!
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
a well fitting grip seems to be a critical aspect for SOME of us... I'm one!

I've met guys who can pick up skinny, fat, low,, medium, high wrist and shoot lights out all day.

That isn't me!  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©