3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black River Pass Around Bow Info/Review Thread  (Read 6720 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black River Pass Around Bow Info/Review Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks Corey,

Nice looking grip and can see that it's designed to get your hand in a position the same way every time.

And with Will being able to customized it, shouldn't be any problems accomdating different hand sizes.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Crittergetter:
Hey Corey, skip me and go to the next guy on the list. I got to shoot Daniels a few weeks ago and I'll have a chance with hope as well.
Will do Randy
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Bow has been shipped to Pheonixarcher

I was able to make one hunt with the bow, and like many hunts I saw no deer but enjoyed our time together.  
Thanks to Will For the opportunity to shoot one of his creations.

Corey
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
Tracking number says it'll be here Friday. Can't wait!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
I was on deck after Pheonixarcher, I am going to have to withdraw from the batting order. Wonderful opportunity, I have some stuff going on that will require all my attention for a bit..
If you would Paul, go ahead and send that off to Petep next.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
I must apologize for my lack of communication this past week. I had a terrible bout of stomach sickness last weekend, and had to work 60 hours this week.
I did receive the bow last weekend, and was able to shoot it some before I became ill. I will give a full report after I send the bow off to PeteP. Hopefully I'll get it packed and shipped tomorrow, but most certainly by Monday. Pete, I'll be sure to forward you the tracking number. Again I apologize for keeping everyone in the dark. That is not my normal practice.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2017, 11:00:00 PM »
Again, I must apologize for my tardiness here. My co-worker whom shares a great deal of my work load has been on vacation, and I've had to work long hours to get things done on time. In hind sight, if I'd have known that the bow was going to arrive the week he was gone, I'd have passed on my turn with the bow. It will however, be shipped tomorrow.

All that aside, I was able to spend some time in the evenings with this bow.

I will agree with most of what has already been said about this bow. The fit and finish is good. The craftsmanship is also good. It is obvious that there was considerable thought and effort put into the design of the package. As a whole, I believe that this is a platform that has lots of potential. I only draw 27", so I was nowhere near the optimum draw length of either set of limbs. But they both performed rather well. I had to step up in spine to get close to proper arrow tune with both the hybrid and recurve limbs. I have a few arrow set ups that have been quite tolerant of similar draw weights, and I was surprised to see that they showed weak. A sure sign of good performance.

I typically shoot both hybrids and recurves, so this bow is right in my wheel house.

As far as the recurve limbs go, I feel that they are top notch in feel and shootability. They were a tad louder to me than some of my other favorite recurve designs, but only marginally. And likely remedied with brace, string and silencer optimization. I really enjoyed their smooth draw and performance.

The hybrid limbs were a little closer to my comfort level for everyday shooting. My observations closely mirror those of the recurve limbs. They were great performers comparatively speaking, and balanced well. They too however, were a tad louder to my ears than comparable hybrid limbs. Again, likely fixed with brace, string and silencer position. The draw was not as smooth as some, but smoother than most. A great feel for a hybrid longbow.

The riser, while well crafted, was large and heavy. It almost seemed as though it had too much mass in the limb pads. And that was greatly amplified with the heavier and wider recurve limbs. For this reason, I much prefered the overall balance and feel of the lighter mass weight hybrid limbs. For me, the grip was comfortable and repeatable, but it was too deep back to belly, and a touch too narrow side to side at the throat/thumb ledge. All in all though, a good and adaptable shape.

While both sets of limbs were ran through the gamut of brace heights and shot with light to heavy arrows, I did experience a bit of a buzz after the shot. Not at all unpleasant, or excessive, just a little surprising given the overall mass weight of the bow. Don't take away the wrong impression with that last statement! This bow is still smoother than any one piece or small risered bow that I have ever shot, just, I have a couple comparable bows (that are super tuned) with much less mass weight that have the same or less buzz at the shot. It just surprised me a little with this much more mass in the bow.

Overall, I would rank this bow towards the top with its competitors. With this particular bow, I preferred the overall performance and shootablility of the recurve limbs, but the balance and pointability of the hybrid limbs. With a much lighter mass weight riser material, I think this would make an excellent recurve in every category. But the hybrid also leaves very little on the table. It is a tough choice, but my nod goes to the recurve.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
looking forward to shooting it, thanks again Will for this opportunity.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
The bow is on the way Pete! Thanks to Will for the opportunity.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2017, 10:34:00 AM »
got the bow yesterday...first initial impressions when taking her out of the box were whoa, what an absolute beauty!! i'll shoot her up this weekend and get back with my findings

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2017, 12:09:00 PM »
I would like to remove myself from the pass around list.  Things are really busy here lately and my draw is a little short for this bow anyway.

Have fun  Pete, excited to hear your thoughts.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
alright, the black river...first impressions as i took the riser out of the bubble wrap were I need to call Will and tell him I want this bow. Wow. Wow. Did I say wow?!! Man what a beautiful piece of functional lethality. The riser is dense,heavy and feels bullet proof. I absolutely love the curves, contours and overall feel of this riser. When you grip the bow it just has "that feeling" to it...you stickbow addicts know what i speak of.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »
The recurve limbs, oh my, these things are gorgeous! I could see myself 20ft in an autumn tree just looking at these beauties. When you view the strung profile you know youve got a hot rod on deck. The draw is smooth and I loved the feel as i locked into my anchor, just a solid feel. I knew i was about to unleash some serious power as i loosed the goldtip traditional 400. The sudden WHACK on the bag target confirmed what you already knew just looking at her...shes fast!!  These pass around reviews, i enjoy reading how we all have a slightly different take, experience and view of the same bow. My take is this...id hunt with her right now. This is a very easy bow to shoot. I like a heavy, solid bow. If you like a larger mass riser such as a silvertip, tall tines or predator then your going to enjoy this bow. I loved the grip, its just so easy to find that spot on the target. I've either had or shot most of the big names. This bow is right there as far as fit, finish and performance of the top bows. These bows will have a following of loyal shooters, I'll be one of them. Thanks Will, what a great bow!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
Dewey11 Steve, i'll send ya a PM and get your address and send her out thurs AM. Thanks again Will!

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
I received the bow last week from "kleine" and shot both the limb set-ups that same day. What can I say that hasen't already been said? Beautiful workmanship all round and "yes", love the grip. The draw weight (a little heavy for me) plus my shorter draw length, I'm sure, hendered max. performance, but I still enjoyed shooting both limbs. Maybe because the long bow limbs were a lighter draw weight, I enjoyed shooting them the more. Both limbs powered the arrows I currently shoot in my personal bows straight and true. (Beman Centershot 500's) For me, best consistent results came from    shooting the bow without canting. Actually, the bow is a whole lot better shooter than I am! I think I would favor a lighter riser weight, but that is just personal.
       As a BTW, the recurve string gave way (half-into) so I made a new one out of B55, so any future shooters who want a FF will have to aquire one on their own.
     Enjoyed the bow very much and would like to thank Will Cocke for the oppertunity.
     The bow will be on the way tomorrow to Steve Dicketts. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did.   :clapper:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
I had this bow before Iohkus, all I can say is what a shooter!
I'm not use to a larger heavy riser bow but it fit me very well. It draws super smooth and hits hard. Fit, finish, and craftsmanship is excellent. I spent most of my time shooting the recurve limbs and couldn't believe how well I was shooting with it. If I owned it I would defiantly be proud to hunt with it.
Thank you Will for the opportunity,
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
Hope you don't mind, but seen where a new thread was started on the review and thought I would move the review here to keep things together.

Originally posted by flungonin:
Just wanted to thank Will at Black River bows for the opportunity to shoot the bow. Thoroughly enjoyed shooting the bow. My preference of the two limbs provided was the longbow limbs. No shock or vibration. The string on the longbow was B50. The recurve (FF string) had a little vibration and had some noise where as the longbow didn't. I was told by Will that the bow was made for a 30 inch draw. My draw wasn't long enough to get the optimum performance the bow could provide. But wheather or not my draw was getting all the performance it could, it was flinging my arrows (GT Expedition Hunter, Easten Carbon Raider, Redhead Carbon Fury) faster than my bow. Pleased with the overall craftsmanship, riser handle feel and special designed limbs.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
What's the latest status on the pass around bow? Been nearly a month without an update?

Hope the pass around is working like it should and Will is getting some inputs  [saywhat]

I know I appreciate his willingness to put it on the road so it can be tested and others like me can get reviews (good or bad) and hopefully Will gets critiques (good and bad) to improve his products.

Lets keep this going, please.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
TTT   :readit:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©