3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black River Pass Around Bow Info/Review Thread  (Read 6715 times)

Re: Black River Pass Around Bow Info/Review Thread
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
The bow is on its way to M60gunner in AZ.

I feel this bow is a great bow. I only shot the longbow limbs, but it performed well, and fit and finish are excellent!

Anyone looking for a recurve style handled longbow should give this one a try!

Bisch

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
I got the bow about an hour ago. My wife and I are impressed with the wood combos and the workmanship. I strung up the recurve limbs and made BH at 8". I did have to raise the nock point. That may change when I shoot the bow tomorrow. Same with LB limbs. To me the grip is fine and I am picky about grips. It feels much like my Hoyt Excel grip which is a medium.
I am taking a few different  sizes of arrows to try. Carbons and alum. Might try my currant woods as well. They might be over spined. We'll see.
Will update tomorrow.

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2016, 03:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
I got the bow about an hour ago. My wife and I are impressed with the wood combos and the workmanship. I strung up the recurve limbs and made BH at 8". I did have to raise the nock point. That may change when I shoot the bow tomorrow. Same with LB limbs. To me the grip is fine and I am picky about grips. It feels much like my Hoyt Excel grip which is a medium.
I am taking a few different  sizes of arrows to try. Carbons and alum. Might try my currant woods as well. They might be over spined. We'll see.
Will update tomorrow.
Geez, I am so glad to read this post! Tracking says it is in Pittsford, NY!!!! Had me all worried. Tom and Will, disregard the PM's I sent y'all!

Bisch

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
Well shucks, instead of shooting this fine bow this AM I am typing on my IPad. My fuel pump decided to take a dump on me last nite at father in laws place. Be tomorrow before I can get it repaired.
I was able to shoot a few arrows in garage at close range. Looks like my 35/55 GT's will be what I try outside.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
Just got back from range. Put about 200 arrows threw bow, recurve and LB. Those recurve limbs shot my 35/55 well but I did better with my 2114's. Both weight the same so it probably is me and my "form". I was able to get good flight from my 55/75's as well. Just a little loggy past 30 yards.
Let a couple others guys try, both said how smooth the LB limbs are.
All in all a well made bow. I really enjoyed my time with it. It will be on it's way tomorrow AM.
 Thanks for letting me try the bow. Sorry no pics, me and Photobucket, Imgur have issues with IPad.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
I am adding more to my review.

I believe if I had a doz new carbons and started from scratch bareshaft tuning I would have done better than I did with the variety of arrows I used. That goes for the recurve limbs especially. But that is to be expected with recurve. Recurve has always taken me more effort to tune arrows to. But that maybe me and my form or lack of. My 35/55 weight 500 grains, a touch over the 10 grains most guys seem to like. The bow I think likes the heavier arrow as there was no noticeable ark at 40 yards. The bow does point well and when I did my part I had no issues hitting 40+ yard targets. I had the brace height at 8". I wonder what others used? Only change I would make is a different string material for the recurve limbs. Agian just my preference but I like BCY X. It does not stretch in the heat. The grip fit me like the grip I have on my Hoyt Excel so I had no issues settling in. I assume it is a med grip?

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »
I thought this bow came with BCYX strings?

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
They are both with BCY X strings.  I have messaged him and will gladly send a new to the next person.  

Tom said the LB string wasn't stretching like the Recurve string was, which shouldn't be happening seeing as they're both the exact same.  

Whoever is next on the list, if you have the same problem, I will just send a new string.  It COULD have something to do with the AZ climate, but then I don't understand how it isn't happening to both strings..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »
Bow is on its way. It supposed to be delivered Saturday.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
I believe that I am up next and will shoot the bow on Sunday.  I will most likely send to next lucky guy by Wed. or Thurs. so if sending a new string send it to the person after me.  I will let you know if I have any string stretch.  Thanks!!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Hoyt 75:
I believe that I am up next and will shoot the bow on Sunday.  I will most likely send to next lucky guy by Wed. or Thurs. so if sending a new string send it to the person after me.  I will let you know if I have any string stretch.  Thanks!!
Jack,

please do let me know about the string. Thanks.

Daniel
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
A request was made to edit the title of this thread in an effort to make it a little easier to follow for those interested. So, I fumbled my way through the process (my first edit) and it appears I got it done. I hope this works for everyone.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
I received the bow in near perfect condition. (Edit: noticed very minor wear mark on riser and a scuff on top longbow tip)  Shot a little Sunday and tonight.  Full review to come and it will be in the mail on Wed to John in Ohio.  

DanielB89, there is no issue with the string.  I left recurve strung for quite a while and it did not move at all.

Easy shooting bow of very high quality. I like it!!
Hill Country Bows - RER

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
My Black River Bow Review:

I have had time to shoot the recurve and limbs enough to really get to know the bow.  First let me say the quality, fit and finish is very high and just as good as any high end bows on the market (better than several).  I was impressed with the craftsmanship and not a single imperfection in the finish.

Grip is pretty nice and it fits well in my hand.  The bow is very point-able and has a generous sight window.  Nice size 16" riser with good weight without being massive.  Riser and limb fit seemed very precise and tight.  I like the thin piece of cork between them.

I shot the hybrid longbow limbs first.  I thought it was very quite and I got dialed in fast and had nice arrow grouping.  60" limbs were very smooth at my 28" draw.

Next was the recurve limbs.  Again great performance and no hand shock. It seemed like I shot the longbow limbs just a little easier naturally though.

I stopped by the archery shop yesterday and put both set-ups through the chronograph for the heck of it.

Shot both bows with Carbon Express Heritage 150 with standard insert and 145 gr. field point.  I believe the recurve limbs are 62" and 50 lbs. and I got between 176-182 fps.  The longbow limbs are 60" and 48 lbs. and I got between 172-178 fps.  To me the hybrid longbow held up to same performance as the recurve. (diff. in fps is assume with my form or slight change in draw).

HCB were both fine strings and I had no stretch measured.  I left nock height as it came to me and put recurve BH at 7 3/4" and longbow BH at 7 5/8".

Overall, I was very impressed with the bow.  If Will brought his bows to Compton, ETAR or K-Zoo he would be a very popular guy!  If you like ________ bows (insert most high end 3 pc. bow names here) you are sure to like a Black River also.

Thanks to Will for letting me shoot the pass around bow.  It will be on the way to John in Ohio tomorrow morning.

Picture of strung recurve limb design

Picture of strung longbow limb design

Thank you!
Hill Country Bows - RER

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
Jack,

great detailed review!  Thank you for letting me know about the string!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Any update on this?

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
Bow was received by #8 on the list on Monday and confirmed by PM here.  That is all I know.  Hope others post their thoughts on the bows.
Hill Country Bows - RER

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
I am very impressed with the craftsmanship and finish of the bow. I pretty much gave it a head to head comparison with my current go to hunting bows which are a Silvertip and a Talltines.  The bow with the Hybrid limbs is a knockout and a pure shooter, smooth as silk on the draw with a slight thump on release. It is a natural pointer and I could have taken it out the night of try out after just 3 arrows and been very confident. The recurve limbs seemed to load up with a steady gradual increase in weight out to my 28" and had a bit of zip. It seemed as though they were significantly faster than the longbow limbs but I have no proof. I shot with both heavy 62# woods and 500 FMJ's and it liked both equally well with the woods being slightly quieter as would be expected. I shot the hybrid limbs much better than the recurves for whatever reason. As far as a comparison to my other bows, It is a lot like my Tall Tines with the RC limbs and the grip is almost identical. The craftsmanship is as good as many and better than most. I would be very pleased to be the owner of this bow and would highly recommend it. It is definitely on the radar for my next bow. Especially the hybrid!

She is off to Utah for the next try out.

Thanks to Will for allowing us to go for a joy ride on one of his bows.
John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2016, 02:40:00 AM »
Great pics and reviews everyone! I'm looking forward to my turn with this bow. Can someone post the list or a link to the next guys in line?
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
1. TKO Thomas O'brien
2. jt85 Jason Youngblood
3. Graps Dale Kuder
4. Bisch Jerome Bischoffberger
5. M60gunner Thomas Mosher
6. JackHoyt 75 John Haines
7. huntingarcher Danny Red