3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody just use a climber?  (Read 686 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody just use a climber?
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
I see so many posts on hanging stands that I was wondering if anybody uses only a climber. I hunt both public and private land but even on the private i use the climber.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody just use a climber?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
98% of the time, I don't miss many afternoon hunts between 10/1 and 11/24
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
me....  I have one hang on that I hunt only on Saturday mornings, to try and avoid other hunters....... every other hunt is in a climbing stand...

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Yes. It's pretty hard to have a 'set" of hang ons ready when you are hunting public land. in the mountains Though heavier, the climber is fast and gets higher for mountain hunting. I keep trying the hang ons. I just bought 4 of the muddy tree sticks.
Tedd

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
I used a Lone Wolf climber exclusively for 5 years after I moved from a rural area to the city. I would go back to all my old spots. Always carried a handsaw, pruners, pull up cord and screw in bow holders in the fanny pack and always allowed an extra 1/2 hour going in and coming out. Its a bit more work but you can be very versatile and after you get the hang of it and get a system down it is very effective.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
I have a hang on but haven't used it in years. I prefer the climber (API). Just bought a Summit Viper on sale for $218. I also use a few ladder stands on family property and 2 permanent stands that have accounted for scores of deer over the last 30 years. The permanent stands just require annual maintenance.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
99% of my time in a tree is in a climber
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
I used climbers only for many years. It does get old packing them in and out constantly. I still use them a lot in early season when acorns are dropping...great place to be until the acorns are gone. I set ladder stands and lock on's in more permanent locations these days.

My old Tree Lounge with the bow hunting adapter is still the most comfortable and favorite stand I own. Still the heaviest too lol.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »
99% of my time in a tree is in a climber
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 01:53:00 AM »
shag- why do you have to pack them in and out constantly? leave it set like a hang on. access the stand with a vertical rope and the two prussic method.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 02:32:00 AM »
90% of the time I'm in my climber 10% on the ground. I've used to have a couple hang ons I left on public ground but it was too big of a hassle.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
same here almost 100 percent of the time
Big Mike

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
I love the simplicity and quietness of a loc-on style, but I am in a climber almost 100% of he time when not on the ground.  I don't hunt much locally and the climber is what works for me.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
I have a couple hang ons I use, but only where I need to get up fast and quiet. Since I started using the climber, I prefer its comfort and incognito abilities. I also hunt ground, so id say 80% climber use for me, but I prefer climbers 100%... ;)

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
I have used a Summit for years with no problems.
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
I've had a lone wolf climbers for about 14 yrs.and used it a lot! And have taken most of my deer with it.Last few yrs it has not seen as much action. Getting older and like the convenience of just sneaking in and settling in a fixed or permanent stand. Although some of my ladder stands are really not as portable as they once were. Late season last yr. I started useing my LW on every hunt. There was a lot of deer activity just 50 yds from one of my ladder stands I could not fathom moving it in the very cold plus those ladder stands get very noisy is the cold and late season the deer are extra jumpy! So I pulled out the climber and put my bow quiver back the bow and got a system down. So I'm thinking I may set up one or two permanent stands for my daughter and use the climber almost,exclusively so I can set up near her. The only downside to a climber early season is the warm temps. I hate sweating like a thirsty baboon in the mornings   :o

Offline joe munno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
to many hang ons stolen or damaged so its a  lonewolf climber for me I prescout limb out my trees set a few different spots for different wind direction clear shooting lanes and I'm set for the season
42# toelke whip 42# toelke whistler

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I used a small climber for years. No seat, just the foot platform. I was tuff standing all day during the rut. When I learned that deer don't live in trees, I got on the ground.    :saywhat:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
Clint- that would work. But I'd rather leave the stand at the base of the tree and take my chances on it being stolen rather than break my neck attempting access via rope and climbing gear lol. Me and ropes don't get along very well.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
Lonewolf climber every time--- until we moved to new farm that is predominantly hickory w some pin oaks--I've added some ladder stands to my arsenal.  The lone wolf is great--- I can race a gray squirrel to the tree tops w it---but I usually spend 90 percent of the afternoons between late sept and February in it...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©