3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vanes  (Read 627 times)

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
Vanes
« on: September 06, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
In the interest of both saving money and because Louisiana is such a wet climate especially recently has anyone used vanes instead of feathers on their arrows?  I know nothing beats a feather in flight but if I can cut costs, improve durability, and not sacrifice too much in the way of accuracy I may try it. Thoughts?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vanes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
I fletched a few of my arrows with vanes. They are a 2 fletch arrangement with one in the 4 o'clock position and the other in the 10o'clock position  (I'm left handed) in order to clear the strike plate and rest. It is imperative to have your arrows perfectly tuned and to have proper clearance. Indexable nocks are a must to find the right clearance. Also, very little or no helical. There is an article in a past issue of Traditional Bowhunter about this subject.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
1st off there are treatments available for feathers and some of them help a LOT in the wet.
 If you have your stuff tuned well, soaked and slightly deformed feathers will still help you deliver an arrow where you want it.

If you do go with vanes, you'll want an elevated flipper rest of some sort.
Vanes just don't compress worth a darn when contacting the shelf or strike plate.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Paul Shafer did. You might have to consider a plastic flipper type rest but i believe you'll actually get improved arrow flight with vanes.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Paul Shafer did. You might have to consider a plastic flipper type rest but i believe you'll actually get improved arrow flight with vanes.

Offline Draven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Use an elevated arrow rest and you are good to go.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Not sure why the double post

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
The key is the elevated rest - a flipper style like a "Weather Rest" or a spring arm style will work great.  I have 1 bow specifically set up for rainy day hunts.  I have too limited hunting time as it is to stay home when it's raining, so I needed to adapt once I got rid of the compound.  

That bow is set up with a T-1000 rest (I think that's what it's called), and I shoot 4" 4-fletch vanes.  I shoot AAE Plastifletch vanes because they are softer than most vanes on the market.  However, just for kicks I shot an arrow with blazer vanes out of the set up and it shot perfectly.  I don't like the look of those though - but my point is that it will work fine.  

I still crested the arrows and kept the traditional look that appeals to me, but they have vanes.  I also use a Selway Softkote quiver on that one and the small Simms silencers so that everything is waterproof on this particular bow.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
I just finished a doz with vanes. They are for my recurve that I have an elvatated rest on. I fletch them straight with a little offset. They donot like to wrap around a small diameter shaft. I also made a doz with feathers. When shooting both I found the vanes a tad more consistent. Do not know why but am happy with results.
I have a friend that shoots vanes off his LB, no elvatated rest, he has somehow figured his nock point height to make them not bounce off shelf.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
I recall as a youngun shooting vanes with a Weather rest.

Online WVbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
You can either use an elevated rest or if your arrows are bareshafting perfect you can run index vane in and shoot very well. That is a trick I picked up from Fred Eichler on Masters of the Barebow Vol. II.
Hunting is the fun part, once you kill something the work begins

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
I am shooting Quick Spin vanes off a Bear weather rest this year ; good flight with broad heads .

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
I have a recurve and a long bow that both shoot great with vanes and I shoot off the shelf. I shoot GTs and 4" vanes with a helical twist and they fly like bullets and are absolutely silent. Long bow is a Savannah and recurve is a Bear Grizzly both 60 lbs.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 01:47:00 AM »
Local shop was blowing out vanes for 3 bucks per 100 so I picked up 400. We shall see I'll try some different things and see how it goes. I'll be sure to report back.
Fred Bear

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »
So how much do you spend a month for a cell phone?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
So how much do you spend a month for a cell phone?

DDave
Wife does most of the budgeting. Cell phone is required for work, feathers are not.. I spend 35 a month though.
Fred Bear

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I am currently shooting 4 3" Vanetec vanes out of my ILF setup.  Not sure how it would work of the shelf.  But with an elevated rest I see no difference.
T ZZZZ

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
Vanes and a Bear Weather rest work just great in the wet side of Washington state ....
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©