3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Preventing finger thread fray in gloves and thick glove suggestions  (Read 299 times)

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey guys I ended up switching over to a glove about 6 months ago due to having really bad joint pain in my fingers from using a tab.

I even had a custom made thick tab made for me by Bateman and I still have finger joint pain while using it with athletic ape wrapped on my fingers while using it.

The only thing that helped was using a glove known as the neet traditional glove which has cordovan overlays. The only problem is that the cordovan overlays fell off due to the thread fraying and coming loose.

Otherwise, I loved the glove and had no finger pain at all while using it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a glove that will not fray and will hold up to heavy shooting?

I've been taking a look at the Bearpaw/Kustomking Deer skin cordovan finger stall glove but am not sure how well it would hold up to heavy usage.

Also, does anyone know of a way to prevent thread from fraying on a glove?

Perhaps I could buy another one of the neet gloves and apply something to the threaded area to prevent it from coming undone.

Thanks in advance!

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Preventing finger thread fray in gloves and thick glove suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
i dont use a tab but got a american leathers kangaroo krosover which was recomended by alot of folks on here, took a bit to get used to and break in but now i love it. check it out
aim small miss small

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
My only suggestion is to buy a few leather needles from Tandy and some fishing line and learn to make repairs. I do it to everything I own.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
The all cordovan Bateman deluxe glove might be your ticket.  Stiff inserts and thick slick leather.  Has some stitching around the tips but holds up well.  Hill style glove from HHA may also be up your alley.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion and tips guys.

I've looked into the Bateman glove but it's slightly too expensive for now.

I've been looking at the black widow stick tight glove and the Bearpaw Deerskin full length corduvan tipped glove for now.

I'm just curious as to how stiff the Black Widow Stick Tight glove is without the inserts.

I do not like to feel the string at all so the stiffer the better.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
You might try the Bearpaw Speed Glove they take a little bit to get broken in. I have been shooting my first one for over 3yrs now and it still looks new(ish) seem to be a very tough glove to me. As to the fraying of stitching you might try lighter and just hold it near the glove and just singe the frayed ends. It melts them and kind of ball up and stop the pull through of the stitching.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Sent you a PM forestdweller
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
It is easy to build your own with stainless steel inlays and cordovan tips.
To give you an idea how this glove looks and works:
 http://www.free-archers.de/forum/index.php?topic=33148.0

It is extremely durable when done right (10 years) with heavy use in steamy weather and hunting.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
It would seem to me your putting the string into the glove rather than on the tips. I.E. a deep hook. If I was trying to keep thread from fraying I would put some glue on the stiches. Or ask the maker to make the overlay pieces longer.
A glove is a personal ting, like the grip on your bow. If it is uncomfortable your shooting suffers. You may have to pay a little extra for that fit and feel but it is worth it

Offline Terry Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
Have not used the stick tite, but have a couple of the pdq gloves from black Widow. It took me about a year of shooting everyday to start fraying on the threads. I got a needle and thread and just repaired, good as new. They are a bit stiff until you get them broke in though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©