3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Target Stolen  (Read 579 times)

Offline Adirondack Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Target Stolen
« on: September 07, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Had a 3D Target Stolen from our club. Targets are mounted on reinforcing rods. Looking for any ideas to "lock them down".  We will try some trail cameras. Any input welcome.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Stolen
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  There are some real scumbags out there.  Hopefully you can catch whoever did it.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Wow, that stinks, as theft always does.  Only problem with using trail cameras is, I'd worry about those becoming a target of thieves,too.
Jim

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
Every club around here including mine picks them up after each shoot and locks them away in a shed. Too many dirtbags around here.

The Baltimore Bowmen had a few stolen during the big Traditional Classic a few years ago by thieves entering from the road. They now brand each target with large conspicuous letters burned into the target and use random trail cameras. They would be impossible to resell.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
Black Knights archery club in NJ had a (2day shoot) and had several    :banghead:   taken over night last   :mad:   year!
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Set up a treestand 20 yards out and set up a schedule to sit on different shifts.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
I remember years ago my club had 8 new 3D targets stolen the night before a 3D shoot.They skipped some old targets that have been shot a few times and only took the new targets,sad thing that happens sometimes.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
If you find out who did it, are there any swamps around Queensbury New York?

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
Ugh I HATE thieves.

Personally I would put out a brand new nice looking target and stay out there hiding possibly with a friend until someone comes by to pick it up.

I'd put it in a spot where it would be easy for someone to steal that way they are more likely to try and take it.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
weld them right to the  reed bar stands they slip over,  now place a bar across the bottom then weld that to connect the two stands together but ad a big washer or chain link and weld that on somewhere,,, now chain to a tree.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
I have personally laid in wait overnight, trying to catch thieves.  Thieves don't want to be caught, or go to jail - so don't do it unless you are prepared to get physical, and don't do it alone.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
The sad part is you might know them.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I hate thieves!!!! We leave some out at one of our local clubs, but we take them down and hide them in the bushes so no one can see them from the road or trail.

Bisch

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
It's sad these dirtballs exist. Even if caught they get a slap on the wrist and will do it again. If caught they should have a hand chopped off, that will have them thinking twice but in our country we have to coddle these idiots and look where that got us...criminals everywhere...i'll stop there.

Sorry to hear that. Your best bet would be to put out trail camera's and hope to get a good pick. Yes you could sit out and try to catch them but is it worth it, no. You will not know if they are armed and you life is worth more then a target.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
Our local COs stuck a GPS unit on a quadrunner, tracked it right to the thieves after it was stolen...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Whittler:
The sad part is you might know them.
That right there is the truth. Our club has a garage that is bolt locked shut. We put targets out morning of a shoot.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:00 PM »
If possible, dig some holes and fill them with sackcrete.  While the crete' is wet, place a U shaped rebar and keep it upright until set.  Cable and lock the 3d targets to the rebar.  You can't stop someone from stealing if they really really want to, but thieves are lazy and a little bit of effort might deter them.  Sorry to hear about your targets.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Adirondack Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, Looks like some concrete and welding should make it hard for these jerks.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
We have lost a couple over the years; we put them out on Saturday, take them down and store them in locked shed on Sunday after the shoot - there is only so much you can do.
SWA Spyder

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
almost forgot,, set a nice target up right where everyone who visits the club can see it,,, put a trail camera high up in one of the adjacent trees looking down and start weeding out the thieves one by one..
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©