3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smallest, lightest headlamp running on CR123 batteries?  (Read 465 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Smallest, lightest headlamp running on CR123 batteries?
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
I'm looking for a small, basic headlamp that utilizes CR123 batteries.  It must use that battery as that's what my other backup light will run on and I want to keep the light's backup battery stash consistent.  It needs to be as small and light as possible and I'm particularly interested in it having a low lumen output.  I don't need much light to stumble into a stand or hunting place.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smallest, lightest headlamp running on CR123 batteries?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Princeton Tec Remix Pro LED headlamp utilizes a CR123 battery. I like them enough that I now own three units. They have three small low draw LEDs with two light levels and a ultra bright white LED with two light levels. I own a green, red, and white headlamp for different purposes. Excellent headlamps, easy to operate, where designed for military use.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Picked up a ThruNite TH10 last year. I'm sure it's not the smallest or lightest, but I have been very impressed with it. Ultra bright on 825 lumens, also has a .2 lumen setting for retaining night vision, as well as a 11, 172, 490 lumen setting. Uses 2 CR123 batteries, or a single 18650, which is what I use.

Hard to beat for $40 imho.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
I'd look at Zebralight. The may just be 18500 and AA (I try to have everything in AA) but seem to remember CR2. Excellent headlamps.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
Zebralight has cr123 and multiple lumen modes.
Been my favorite headlamp for many years.
Light weight, compact, tough as nails and flawless with awesome runtimes.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
Petzl e lite
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Gundog68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 01:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
I'd look at Zebralight. The may just be 18500 and AA (I try to have everything in AA) but seem to remember CR2. Excellent headlamps.
I own 3 different Zebra´s. Ordered directly from USA as this model´s were not available in Germany.
In my opinion there are on of the best on the market, and i am using them on hunting wild boars at moonlight for different tasks. You can switch them from a glow to high light easy. Great Solution.
You can get them with a headlamp holder. I tryd two different reflector´s and the normal white and warm white LED. For looking for blood, warm white is great.

One task is to gut the wild boar after shooting it. Always at night.

Offline bagada

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 02:49:00 AM »
petzl e lite. water resistant. retractable headband

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »
Zebralight one of the best investments i bought in a few years
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 05:58:00 AM »
I like the Browning Nitro. Uses the 123A batteries. Very bright though it does have a red and green light also. Just picked it up off Amazon for only $40, which is an excellent price for that headlamp.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 08:41:00 AM »
I like using AA's because of the cost.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
I like using AA's because of the cost.
I do too around the house but in my limited experience the CR123 cells and 18650 cells seem to respond better to cold than alkaline cells do and they have significantly longer run times and higher output than similar size/weight lights running the more common battery sizes.  This makes them preferable for hunting to me.  I run my main light on rechargeable 18650 cells to keep recurring costs down, but it'll also run on 2x CR123's.  

Now that my 3xAAA lamp has bit the dust, I want to replace it with a quality CR123 cell headlamp so I can slip 3x CR123's in a sleeve of bike inner tube cut down and then I'll have one full set of spare batteries for my headlamp and backup light in one small, self-contained package.  I tend to use my headlamp for getting into/out of the woods as it's much more convenient to have hands free.  However, when tracking I like to run a handlamp on flood mode at my feet while having a brighter handheld light that I can scan in front of me with some power behind it.  That lets me see both up close and far out the easiest.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
BTW, the Remix Pro is on sale this morning for $30 at Camofire.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
i use a fenix HL50 and it's the best headlamp i've used.

it can run on a single CR123 or AA with the included extension tube. the battery life is excellent and performance is too. it's waterproof and machined from aluminium so it's never going to break. lithium AA's are great in it but it will work with any AA be it alkaline or rechargable NiCad or NiMH.

i made a lighter head band for it and with a lithium AA it weighs 67grams (2.4oz). it's even lighter and more compact when using a CR123 battery.

not sure what other electronics you use but it has been great to have a lamp that uses a single AA. all my gear now uses AA's. gps, handheld UHF radio etc. i can poach batteries from them for the lamp if needed.

i used to hate shopping for batteries for my old 3x AAA headlamp because the batteries were only available in packs of even numbered quantities forcing you to buy more than you need at the time.

when my 3xAAA headlamp died i was in the situation you are now and i haven't regretted getting the fenix HL50.

standardising my electronics to AA has been awesome. it saves me weight and money and adds the versatility of poaching batteries from other devices when required.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
My preferred headlamp is made by Terralux. Very light, 500+ lumens and 4 brightness levels. Check that one out before you buy.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
the only thing that i didn't like about the fenix was that sometimes in my backpack belt pouch it would get inadvertently turned on because the button switch is somewhat exposed. they could have easily solved this problem be machining the tube to have the button recessed.

i solved the problem by adding a little ring cut from a 1" poly garden hose fitting. it is a perfect press fit on the tube over the button and it prevents the button being pressed when in your pack etc. never been a problem since. plus it's black and looks like it was made for it.

PM me if you get one. i'll send you a ring.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
I've had the same problem that Clint talks about glad he gave use some fix. I carry several fenix lights and wanted a head light so I got the headband my lights has 2 batts and the headband works great plus it's come with 2 batteries packs that are water proof. Iam fixed. Bob
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
here's a pic of it showing the head band i made for it and the plastic ring that prevents accidental turning on while in you pocket or pack.

as i said it looks like it was made for it. no glue just a press fit.

this is pictured with a AA in it. it's shorter with a CR123.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
standardising my electronics to AA has been awesome. it saves me weight and money and adds the versatility of poaching batteries from other devices when required.
The only electronics to go hunting with me are a cell phone, headlamp, and handheld flashlight.  Standardizing the lighting power sources was one of the goals, even though I know I can get a smaller, lighter 1xAAA or little micro light or something.  I really want to be able to make use of the improved cold resistance of the CR123 cells and be able to just throw ONE kind of spare battery in the pack.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
I'm going with a Fenix HL50.  Thanks for the suggestions.  The PT Remix Pro was a strong contender too but for a similar amount of weight I can have a metal body vs plastic and at least in my mind it seems that might make it a little more durable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©