3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Photos, comments, and reviews of the Bison Gear Outfitter pack?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Photos, comments, and reviews of the Bison Gear Outfitter pack?
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
I'm strongly considering one. However it's a lot of coin to drop on a pack. That said, does anyone that actually owns one care to post some photos, comments about, or reviews of the pack. Feel free to PM me you number and I can call you this weekend too if that's more convenient. I'm just looking for a little more info on them from actual users before probably making the plunge.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Photos, comments, and reviews of the Bison Gear Outfitter pack?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
I'm interested in this one.  I've been considering a Lemhi pack from them.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »
I have 3 Bison Gear packs and love them! I have the Outfitter, Lemhi and a big pack that holds my Lone Wolf Alpha stand. The removable game bag in the outfitter is great feature and I have boned out and packed entire animals in it. The packs hold up very good and Angelo is first class to deal with. You want something custom he can do it any flavour you like.
hunt it

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 12:59:00 AM »
Would you recommend the Lemhi for a backcountry hunt for 5-7 days?  That's what I'm really wanting it for and looks like it would be good for it.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by hunt it:
I have 3 Bison Gear packs and love them! I have the Outfitter, Lemhi and a big pack that holds my Lone Wolf Alpha stand. The removable game bag in the outfitter is great feature and I have boned out and packed entire animals in it. The packs hold up very good and Angelo is first class to deal with. You want something custom he can do it any flavour you like.
Do you mind snapping a couple photos of the interior organization and how the game bag works?  I haven't been able to see these features through my Google searches.  

It seems as though Angelo has a pretty solid product line, but the information/marketing on them leaves a lot of questions for a relatively expensive pack that isn't available to see in person at any local stores.  That said, I'm still about 90% sure I'll be up for trying one fairly soon.  I've been disappointed in finding similar sized packs locally that are made of material that is QUIET.  

I can find tons of thick, stiff, coarsely woven stuff fairly inexpensively but when you lightly scratch it you can hear the fingernails scrape across the fabrics over the roar of a crowded store.  There's no way you could sneak around and spot and stalk within longbow ranges making that kind of noise against every twig.  The Badlands Monster seems to be a fairly solid pack, but it's also rather large and has no compression straps to cinch it down when it's not completely filled up.  I only plan to need about 400-500 ci for gear and want to leave the rest open to stuff a jacket or vest into as the day warms up.  So in the morning, I'd really like the ability to cinch it down tight.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »
I have the Lost River, which is two sizes up from the Outfitter, which is basically a fanny pack.  If the fanny pack meets your space needs, it's an excellent pack.  

The Bison Gear packs are actually quite light for their size.  I couldn't find a nylon or other synthetic material pack with the same capacity that was as light.  

I use mine as a daypack for elk hunting.  Actually has a bit more room than I need, but carries very comfortably, and is absolutely quiet. Very well made.  I believe Laurie Sheppard at Gray Wolf Woolens is still sewing at least some of the packs.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
I've had an outfitter for 11 or 12 years now. Other than some blood stains it looks as good as the day I got it. You won't go wrong with one.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
I hope all is well with them...they were a great sponsor but I could not get in touch with them at all last year...heard others couldn't either.

I sure hope they are OK....I have one of their packs, can't remember the name of it...but it has been used for 10 years I guess and still looks brand new.  Made of buck swede.

Kept all my gear in order for the hunt and was a great support in hauling out my angora...just one of many trips this pack made with me.

This is the only 'hunting pack' I have (cept fanny pack)...and I could NOT have made a better overall pack choice...large but not TOO large.....compressed for secure load....VERY well made and designed.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
This thread is great.  I was just looking at them yesterday on their site.  Are they hard to get a hold of?
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
I'm using their 'man purse' which I find better for my style of MI whitetail hunting. I did own an outfitter but found it was bigger than I needed. It's more of an all day pack or an overnight bivy pack. The man purse options are better for walking in or out for quick whitetail or bear hunt
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
I have the outfitter with shoulder straps, 6 years old and it looks new, very functional and made very well.
Conny

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
[QB] I hope all is well with them...they were a great sponsor but I could not get in touch with them at all last year...heard others couldn't either.

I sure hope they are OK....I have one of their packs, can't remember the name of it...but it has been used for 10 years I guess and still looks brand new.  Made of buck swede.
This is possibly bad news.  I called the two numbers on their site.  One sent me to what seemed like a telemarketing firm.  The other I just left a message on.  I also emailed them in case the phone didn't come through.  We shall see how it goes.

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
When I ordered mine last year it took quite some time to get thru but it worked out eventually. I think it took a few weeks at least.
I was considering the outfitter when I called but went with the first trip instead. A bit more space and  room for a hydration bladder.
It's a great pack. I've been looking for a while trying different packs and this one is the best yet. Very very well made, comfortable, and quiet (a very important consideration for me). I went with the gray wool. I can strap an extra shirt on the top or my boots if I'm still hunting in my socks. I put a bow hook on the left side of the belt to hold my bow when I'm glassing.
I don't think you'll be sorry if you get one. Plus I'm sure it would be very easy to sell if it doesn't work out.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
I have Outfitter in wool and it's the last day pack I will ever need. Bison Gear is normally at the ETAR at Denton Hill and they weren't there this year I hope all is well Angelo is a great guy .
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
I've had one of their packs for a good 15 years, I think it's the lost river.

I love this pack and I use it every season.  Zero problems and well made. Very quiet with the wool and extremely comfortable.  Pricy but good investment.  Ie: 15 years and I'm sure it will last that many more.

I pretty much use it as a day pack.  I tend to take extra gear in case I have to spend the night out or have an emergency so I have all the typical survival gear.  

Living in a rain forest I always have to have rain gear, etc which attaches well with no movement. The design of the pack allows you to shoot your bow with no problems.

Enclosed waterproof sack works if you quarter your deer.  I had the hip belt modified.  One side has the small pocket, the other side has no pocket but instead it has two lengths of strong belt material with snaps.  It allows you to carry items on your hip.  On mine I usually carry a large hunting knife, bear spray (big bear area where I live) and a GPS in it's belt case.  They all fit fine and are nice and snug.

If ordering again I would for sure modify the belt, otherwise you can't carry all the things I mentioned.

I'm sure there are other great packs but you can't go wrong with this one, for sure.

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
I have had the First Trip Explorer Pack for 10 years and it is great.  Our GA deer season opens today which I cannot go until tomorrow morning but it put a smile on my face when I pulled my pack out to organize my gear.  I would not hesitate to purchase one, they are worth every penny and will last for years to come.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Sorry I had a Lost River not an outfitter pack.  Sponsor Gray Wolf Woolen has a wolfskin version Lost River in stock.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Jered Shofner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
The outfitter is pretty much the ultimate fannypack.  I have used my loden green wool version for about 7 years. Mine has the shoulder straps.  

The main compartment is sized just right for dayhunts. If you can't fit all your gear in the outfitter than you are probably carrying too much. I have found that to be true at home chasing whitetails and hunting elk from a basecamp in colorado.  

The pack is not the lightest but it is the quietest by far.  I can't see ever wearing mine out.

Bill Kissner may chime in here if he takes a break from killing elk, but he has used an outfitter for years.

A bonus with these packs is that I can carry my lonewolf treestand on my back while wearing the outfitter. You can also ride an ATV with both a stand and a pack.

I would buy mine again.  Hopefully they are still in business!

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
I've had the wool Lemhi model for many years. I also often use it as a carry-on when flying. I've lost track how many people have asked me where I got it. I hunt with it every day and I hunt a LOT! I've not had one single problem with mine ever. I have no doubt it'll still be good the day I die. It's a great lifetime investment in my opinion. Thanks.  BW

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
I have the lost river in wool.  I too think it is a bit heavy but so well made I will never wear it out.  The game bag is the reason I went with it. I did something similar before, using a cheaper, less well verified pack.  Definitely consider customizing the belt to suit your needs, as described earlier.
Chuckc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©