3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Return to Happy Valley  (Read 200 times)

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Return to Happy Valley
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Just returned from one of my favorite haunts in Colorado.  We have killed a few elk here over the last 10 years and have posted the stories here, some of you tradgangers with lower numbers might have some recollection of those trips if you haven't lost too much of your memory.  Anyway I have not been able to do much of this for myself since we started the outfitting business and I was happy to get back to it.  We did not get lucky enough to kill an elk this trip so you can stop here if that's what you are looking for.  We had rain every day and worked a bull or two every day but couldn't close the deal this trip.  Maybe next year.  Don't wait too long for the next trip.

We had to get all of this stuff 10 miles up the valley, about 2000 feet higher in elevation.  Time to get started loading up.

Eric is riding a new mule I bought this spring.  She is a gaited mule and real broke.  I wish I had a mule he could handle so I could ride her.

Loaded up and on our way.  Never saw so many people at the trailhead as we did this year.  Dozens of cars, hikers and fishing the lake.  We left them all behind after about 5 miles.

Making good time until we tried to squeeze the pack mule under a fallen log on this set of switchbacks.  I hate it when this happens.  Time to repack Sassy.  Cost us half an hour.  We cut through the switchback on the way down to avoid this low downed tree.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Return to Happy Valley
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
Halfway point.  Stopping to give the mules a breather and stretch our legs.  We started our trip on Friday afternoon as soon as I got off of work.  We drove 12 hours through the night, bought our licenses and then started up the mountain.  The mules work hard on this trip getting us up where we are going.  All of the foolishness is worked out of them by the time we are halfway.   I have a handmade leather quiver hanging on my saddlehorn.  This quiver contains 2 Shrew Classic Hunter bows (bow bolt takedowns) and 16 arrows.  I find this to be the safest way for me to transport my archery equipment on an equine trip.  With many trips behind me I have never lost or damaged any equipment when handled in this manner.

This is our destination.  Nice meadow with about 30 acres of tall grass to keep the mules.  Stream has a bunch of cutthroat trout.  We have dined on trout from this stream many times but did not bring the fishing tackle for this trip.  We did catch a few grasshoppers to feed the fish with.  This was almost as much fun as the fishing.

Tall grass, belly deep to a tall mule.  This is our fifth trip to this spot.  Hope to be able to return soon.

I hobble the mules and stake them out on a picket line.  I don't have to pack much feed for them this way.  I took 100 pounds of sweet feed just to keep them interested and not walking back to the truck.

I highline them at night, in view from the tent.  No escapees this year.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Mules or horses might sound like a great way to access remote high country.  They are.  But they come with some responsibility like feeding and watering daily.  They can cramp your style a bit but I couldn't hunt up here without them.  This big mule is a great packer and rides good too if you need an extra mount.

We live well here.  Hot meals at least twice a day. Cots and mats to sleep on.  Alaknak tent with good headroom and heat when you need it.  It is worth the effort to bring this stuff when you are up here for a week.

Avalanche must of came through a couple of years ago.  The valley did not look like this on my last trip.  We can ride the mules to the saddle on top of the mountain on the other side of the valley.  Its about a five mile ride from our camp and about an hour and a half ride.  Eric killed a bull up there last trip.  Mules allow us to leave camp in the middle of the afternoon and hunt 5 miles away 1500 ft up for the evening hunt.  Riding home in the dark on those narrow trails and 29 switchbacks keeps you on your toes but the mules know their way back to camp.

Did I mention this country is kind of steep?  We were still able to get to our good hunting areas.  It just took longer and more huffing and puffing that it used to.

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Looks like a great trip!  Beautiful.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Looks like a happy place to me. You guys hunting elk somewhere?

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »

We saw a lot of turned over boulders and gallon size piles of bear scat in the berry patches.  Did not see the bears this trip.  I tried to get a bear tag for this unit but they were sold out when I inquired.

Short trip and short story this year.  Ready to go again already.  When I am hunting and have my bow strung up and properly tuned I don't like to take it apart to travel.  I made a longbow case out of 1600 denier luggage material.  I used 1/2 inch foam to line it and it closes with Velcro.  I can haul my Shrew bow with a Great Northern Quiver and 5 arrows in this case.  This padded case hangs on the saddle just like a gun scabbard and keeps the bow and arrows safe and protected. Something you might want to consider if you ever plan to do a horseback hunt.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
Wow...sure more picturesque then the one by the same name in Central PA near PSU.

I can see that would be a joyful place to chill!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
I remember those stories John, great to se another one from you. Great pics as usual.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
What a great hunt and pictures....I gotta get out to Colorado some day.

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
Great story and pics - and I do remember your posts over the years - some of my favorites….
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
I really enjoyed this thread.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©