3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Encounter with a Anti...  (Read 504 times)

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Encounter with a Anti...
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
From what I know, Im not certain I would consider the lady an active anti. I run into a lot of people like her, that are balancing on the fence, and can be pulled either way. I find, that in well educated conversations, that uses facts instead of fiction, their thought processes can at least be changed to be more open minded about hunting. People dont know what to believe, especially if they have no experience in being around a true hunter. Its our responsibility, to smartly and tactfully educate people like this. A true anti, will not even give you an opportunity to expose the truth, and are not interested in anything you have to say.

You handled it well.

Offline galadriel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
I would point out the silliness of telling someone what they should or shouldn't wear.. it's a free country and if she doesn't like it she can move to Syria or any one of those countries where women can't even wear tshirts & I'm a woman.. and they will tell her what she can and can't wear.
Most people in bigger cities (mine being mpls) are far out of touch with nature & the outdoors and don't understand hunting for food- even if it's in another country. Some of those areas have too many animals and so the herd has to be culled- sort of like deer control here..   folks like her should get facts about hunting in other countries before making a judgement -

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
My take on this thread is..
1.  You are a hunter and a nice man,  we all should strive to present our selves as great people. Clean, articulate, polite, good toppers, "please, thank you, have a nice day"
2.  She at least now as Hurd our side of the story,  meat not wasted.  Conservation.  Etc...
Good job.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
My take on this thread is..
1.  You are a hunter and a nice man,  we all should strive to present our selves as great people. Clean, articulate, polite, good toppers, "please, thank you, have a nice day"
2.  She at least now as Hurd our side of the story,  meat not wasted.  Conservation.  Etc...
Good job.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 11:13:00 AM »
Not to mention deers are causing more death to humans than hunters to deers where I'm located.

The deer population is out of control in New Jersey and I personally know of 1 person that got injured and their car wrecked from a deer being on the road.

I've heard of many incidents of young and old people alike being killed from slamming into deer on the road side.

Hunters help preserve the land and help save lives as well.

Not to mention I try to stay away from the grocery store meat as much as possible, that stuff is very low quality.  

Someone should make a shirt that shows a bowhunter taking out a deer before it runs onto a road with someone driving a vehicle on it and have it say at the top "I hunt, I save lives.".

I'd buy it.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
The amount of ignorance, misinformation, and old wives tales that anti-hunters and non-hunters have is astounding. I have spoken with several non hunters and a couple anti's. The anti's were aggressive and demeaning and unwilling to listen. Had their minds made up that they knew it all. The non hunters were usually pleasant to talk to and would ask questions and have a conversation. Anti's are extremists and are difficult to deal with. I always ask them how many needy families have they donated meat to recently.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Mike Faith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Well handled sir! Difference of opinion is ok, very good on your behalf, not agreeing doesn't mean we should be rude or stand offish...and the Spruce Goose was an airplane I believe...   :)    :)
focusing on the problem is not a solution-anonymous

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
It's funny you bring this encounter up. I have been reading Gene Wensel's "Come November". Gene has an entire chapter devoted to talking about how hunters are viewed by the non-hunting community. It is a very eye opening chapter and Gene does a great job of expressing how Hunter's should carry themselves so that we can sway the public's view in our favor and continue our hunting heritage for many years.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
Id love to comment but here it's preaching to the choir...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
Good job Sam!  The cooler head always prevails.  As most of you are saying, they just need to be educated.  Most people will listen if we conduct ourselves calmly and have our facts straight.  If we get angry and shout them down, it will hurt their view of us even more.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
In today's society we have imprisoned ourselves in concrete jungles, too far removed from the lands of our ancestors.  Our ancient kin found wonders in the sky and on the land.  Today we seem to find only self wonder in comments and replies to social posts on various online platforms that lie no farther than our desk away.  To take the life of an animal to sustain our own is the most sacred of exchanges, to which most will never understand.
Good job Sam!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Id love to comment but here it's preaching to the choir...
We'd still like to hear it.
And yes, the Spruce Goose was the largest aircraft of it's time, and probably the only one to never 'officially' fly before being mothballed.
And Howard Hughes was one of the richest millionaires in the world at the time. Nuts, but rich.

Aim small,miss small

Offline Nockbroke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Those who eat in the comfort of their own home food that which they did not themselves procure will never understand the mind of the Hunter. It is easier still to point and wag a finger at another for something they disagree with, than attempt to fully understand their point of view.

I think you're right about that being a rather calm interaction for sure! Well handled, sir. Agree to disagree. After all, it's tough bein at the top of the food chain!  :thumbsup:  
-Nockbroke
66" Stotler Game Getter Longbow
71" Susquehana Longbow

Offline brianbfree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
This nice lady clearly shows "you don't know what you don't know until you know"
DH Super Diablo         60#@28
DH Ventura              60#@28
BP Lord Mercury         40#@28
Golden Sovereign Knight 65#@28
BP  Mercury Hunter      65#@28

Brian Beery

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
Nice job Sam! Stay calm and educate em!

I had a little interaction with an nice English accented lady in Wallyworld once myself.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »
Cool heads will prevail.  The picture of Howard kneeling next to the elephant will elicit comments from others.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hud:
Cool heads will prevail.  The picture of Howard kneeling next to the elephant will elicit comments from others.
Howard Hughes???   :laughing:
Aim small,miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©