3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wonderful Indiana hunt  (Read 1562 times)

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Wonderful Indiana hunt
« on: October 25, 2007, 01:43:00 AM »
Here is a story I want to share with all the tradgangers.

First off my son is starting the first stage of hunting by himself.   We have been letting him set on a fence row a few hundred yards from my in-laws home.   We can set on the back deck and watch him.  
   Last Sunday we had a spur of the moment decision to go to one of our honey holes and do a short hunt.    He asked if he could sit in the ground blind by himself.    I thought it was a good idea so I took my climber and found a tree about 40yards from him.   We could see each other form this spot.    
    After I got settled in I hit him on the radio and told him it was time to settle down and be quiet.   He agreed.   As I was putting the radio in the pouch I dropped it.   I was in a deli mina.   Should I climb down and get the radio or get my sons attention and motion for him to walk to me.    I figured it would be easier on me if I had him walk to me, so I did that.    After he got to the base of the tree and saw the radio he attached it to my pull up rope and told me that I was disturbing his hunt.   That was funny coming from a 9 yr old.

As the sun was setting I heard something coming down from ridge.   I took position and a short time later observed a deer coming towards me.    The deer was closing the distance fast.   The deer did not have antlers but that is OK in my book.
   The deer stopped behind a clump of beech tree leaves.   When the deer stepped out it was about 15 yards from me.  It made a turn and gave me a beautiful quartering away shot.   I picked a spot and released the arrow.   It seemed like it was in slow motion.   I saw the perfect arrow flight going towards the spot I pick.   I then saw the arrow make contact with the deer.   The shot was perfect.   All I could see left of the arrow was a small section of the feathers and the nock sticking out from the deer.
   The deer bolted away from me.  It ran down towards the watering hole and ran behind a small hill.   I lost sit of the deer and a short time later I heard something that sounded like a deer falling the ground and somewhat thrashing around.    
   I radioed my son and told him I had just shot one.  I told him to stay put because the deer was moving.  I told him that when it gets dark I would radio him and tell him when to get out of the blind and walk to me.  
   About 15 minutes later I heard something on the same trail this deer had came down.  I looked and here came another anterless deer.    I took my position and the deer was closing in.   The deer was about to walk behind the same clump of beech tree leaves and all of a sudden my radio opened up and I heard my son ask “  Is it time to come out”   The deer looked right up at me and took off.    
  My son came to my stand.  I had him mark the spot where I had shot the deer.  We then walked all of our gear to the truck.  We returned to the spot and began tracking.   I was really impressed with the way my son could see the blood.   We tracked for about forty yards and entered a thicket.   The blood trail stopped.    I started walking circles around the end of the blood trail.  I was about to broaden my search and located the deer.

The feeling I had is hard to describe.   This was my first deer with traditional gear and I was able to share this hunt with my best hunting partner.

The shot was classic.  The arrow went in behind the last rib and infront of the rear hind quarter.   The heart was not centerpunched but had a long slice down the side of it.   The arrow exited on the opposite shoulder.  

“TradGang” was very involved in this hunt.  

First off I have learned a lot of information about traditional archery from TradGang.
 I had a set of the TradGang arrow wraps that Terry Green had sent me.

I purchased the Wensel Woodmans, the Quiver and a few more items off from different members of TradGang.  

Big thanks to all,    :clapper:  
702 and 702 ½

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wonderful Indiana hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:50:00 AM »
Congrats  :clapper:    :goldtooth:  Way to go. Sounds like a great hunt with youre son.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:38:00 AM »
Congrats to you both. He will remember every detail.

Every minute we spend with our kids gives them a
lifetime of self worth. He KNOWS how important hunting is to you, and to include him means EVERYTHING!

If you think its great to get a deer when he`s with you, just wait until he tells you that HE got one!

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
Super hunt and story, congrats!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
Simply awesome!  :clapper:    :clapper:  That's what I call a lifetime memory right there.  You might both have bigger adventures down the road someday, but this one will always remain at the top of the list!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
way kool... ComGrats Little Man....Thats I great looking DOE you got... Keep up that great work.

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Congrats on the deer and on getting your son involved in this great sport we all love.    :thumbsup:
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
congratulations!!

Offline Howard S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Hey Jim congrats on your first trad deer.  That's a great pair of smiles in that picture.

Howard

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Good deal, way to go.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
thanks for the comments guys.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dianne B. Lotz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Hey cool. Now we have something else to celebrate at Cloverdale next year.

Congrats...big time!

Ferret on Diannes laptop
Dianne

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
Can not wait for Cloverdale!!
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
Great job, the first one is always the best   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  

Great job!!!!!
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
Congrats on your first trad deer. Not only did you get your first deer, but you got to share the experience with your son. I don't think it could get much better than that. I really like the photo. The both of you look very happy. Keep up the good work.

Shawn

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
Way to go!  Love how 702 1/2 told you that you were ruining his hunt.  You've got a great young hunter in the making... knows the importance of holding still!  Fantastic.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Way to go, Jim!!!

Congrats of a very important "first," and on the way you chose to go about it!

I have to be sure to ask Dianne to introduce us at Cloverdale this year.  It is fun to realize that there are some Trang Gang folks I've probably brushed shoulders with there and never realized it.

Way to go!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
Wonderful pic!  All of us in my family enjoyed it and the story.  thanks for sharing!

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
congrats its always cool to share it with a child
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement